Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 front suspension knocks

Views : 629

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 7th, 2019, 19:46   #1
reggit
Premier Member

Default V70 D5 front suspension knocks

Advice needed please.

My offside front strut top mount is dead, can get the complete strut assembly out Ok, is the upper mount reasonably easy to DIY change? Guessing i need spring compressors. Anything else worth changing suspension wise at the same time (excluding shock)?

Trying to weigh up if I can be bothered doing it myself or just book it into read view who will undoubtedly do it loads quicker than I can (but for more money)
Car’s just under 210k and has been developing a few rattled over the year even though I don’t use it much (around 5k a year). Debated changing it, but can’t see the point of getting an early P3 full of someone else’s problems, so looks like money will be put into this one.
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 21:38   #2
bkulcsar

It is a straightforward DIY job if you have external spring compressors. You might want to grease the top strut bearings (oragex has a good video tutorial on youtube). When replacing spring seats, go for genuine ones. AM won't last. Alignment should be done after this job.
The Following User Says Thank You to bkulcsar For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2019, 22:45   #3
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Just look at any one of my posts if you want to know about suspension rattles. There's a thread about 10 below this on called 'Yet another suspension problem'. Simon has put a link to one of his vids at the bottom of the first page.

I was going to do this myself, but frankly I haven't got a garage you can fit a car in and I've been quite wet enough the last few weeks so I'm paying about £130 to have it done at a volvo indo.
HankScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HankScorpio For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 00:25   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
Just look at any one of my posts if you want to know about suspension rattles. There's a thread about 10 below this on called 'Yet another suspension problem'. Simon has put a link to one of his vids at the bottom of the first page.

I was going to do this myself, but frankly I haven't got a garage you can fit a car in and I've been quite wet enough the last few weeks so I'm paying about £130 to have it done at a volvo indo.
Thanks, I’ve only got a cobbled drive and it never seems to be dry when I’m off work at the minUte, so was wondering about getting it done.

Think I’ll get the bits I need though and have a crack myself when it drys up for a few days.
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 15:57   #5
reggit
Premier Member

Just done this today, took a good few hours - need a rattle gun!

However all the knocks and clangs have gone. I’d have sworn the rear was knocking away as well as the front.

And thanks to Cheshire for his great video - I’d never come across a star nut (or whatever it’s called before.

Found a leaking injector whilst I was mucking about - job for another day, just a bit miffed as I had them all out, reamed the seats and fitted them with new clamps and washers. Needs fixing in any case 😢

Last edited by reggit; Oct 14th, 2019 at 16:01.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reggit For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 16:12   #6
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Good on you!

I'm waiting for parts to do same job
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 16:54   #7
HankScorpio
Floppy member

There's so many interior rattles I can now hear, I might put the broken top mount back on
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 19:30   #8
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
There's so many interior rattles I can now hear, I might put the broken top mount back on
You just reminded me time when for 2 weeks I was chasing a knock in the rear, occuring only on "lively" right turns.

Raise the car, lower the car, crawl underneath, feel the bushes, torch, endoscope (I've got one for different reasons)..

It was..

Screwdriver in spare wheel well..

Rolling and hitting metal on right turns, rolling and getting stuck under rubber(tyre) on left turns.

Last edited by ThomasG; Oct 15th, 2019 at 19:33.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 14:39   #9
HankScorpio
Floppy member

Question

Ha ha, sounds about right. One day I'll tell you about my dad and the smoke alarm.

In fairness, I highly suspect the main interior rattle to be from the flap that covers the cargo net in the back seat. The others are only very minor and will be addressed as I'm working on various bits.

All in all, its turning into a very nice motor. Driving it to Paris and back next week.