Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Central locking on drivers door not working on My V40.

Views : 15804

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2010, 13:12   #1
Jedimaster2000

Default Central locking on drivers door not working on My V40.

One morning last week at @ 03.30 the alarm went off on my V40 { year 2000 }.

It was parked on my driveway jsut below our bedroom window.

I looked out and no one was around so I just switched the alarm off and then back on again.

I noticed that the interior lights would not go out so I went outside to check.

The drivers door was partly opened.

I closed the door and reset the alarm thinking I would have a better look after 08.30.

The alarm still sets and works but I can open the drivers door just by using the handle with the alarm set. Normally I would have to switch the alarm off by the fob or use a key to open the door.

It seems as though the central locking is now not working on that door.

The button on top of the door trim is stuck down and has a lot of marks and scratches on it. My neighbour reckons someone has used a coat hanger or a slider between the window top or side to try to open the door.

Has anyone else had this type of problem with their V40?.

Is it a difficult job to remove the door trims to gain access to the central locking in the drivers door?.

Thanks
Jedimaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 14:00   #2
andy_d
Premier Member

first check the key + central locking havent managed to get themselves out of sync.

unlock the door with the key , Then unlock with the remote.
open the door, close, lock with the remote ,watch the button.
may take a couple of lock/lock > unlock/unlock cycles to get them back to sync.

had this on mine and going through the lock/lock>unlock/unlock cycle a couple of times has reset it to how it should be.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 14:04   #3
t4 tony
Master Member

mine has done this along with a few other people's. are you sure the scraches around the button were not there before ? maybe from the old owner ? i know that when mine did it i had to pull the button back up with long nose plier's and that was where my scraches came from,here's how i fixed mine,take off the door card(not to hard to do just unscrew and pop off) then remove the three bolt's in the lock meck at the side of the door opening,then you will have a bit of slack on the lock to get in at it.once you've done that it's a bit tight but you can get to the lock piston on the mech it's self,you should see a black rubber cover on the top of the mech.lift it up with a flat head screw driver and inside is a white plastic piston,spray that with wd or white grease and replace the rubber cover,did mine about a year ago and it's still going now.mine was doing the same as your's all doors but the driver's would lock and if i opend the door the alarem went off,give it a go mate and let us know how you get on.if you get stuck just ask i'll guid you though it.

currently audi a4 avant
t4 tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 14:57   #4
Jedimaster2000

I didn't notice the marks when I bought the car.

I have tried the key and remote trick but the button will only move a couple of mm when unlocking then it drops back down.

I have removed the door panel and am now looking at the central locking mechanism trying to figure out how to remove the mechanism.

Thank you
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 15:32   #5
Jedimaster2000

Default Sorted { I think }.

Unfortunately I could not undo the three allen key bolts in the edge of the door { really solid } that would allow me to remove the locking mechanism.

I sprayed some magic WD40 down along the metal rod connecting the button to the mechanism.

I also sprayed WD40 inside the door cavity hoping that that would make its way into the top of the mechanism.

By operating the central locking and assisiting the button to move up and down I managed to free off the rod somewhat.

The button now moves up and down the same amount as the other door buttons.

Fingers crossed that it will be Ok now.

Someone definitely tried to get into my V40 as the alarm has never gone off prior to that night or since.

Thanks Again for the Great Help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedimaster2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 19:12   #6
The Fool Monty

Default V40 Drivers door problem

I just encountered the locking problem, the trouble for me is even worse as the car recently got stuck in park, managed to move the stuck stick via the release hole by the auto lever, the problem is until I can get it fixed the only way I can drive the car is by leaving it in neutral with the key in the ignition as the key only comes out when the car is in park. So when I found out the drivers door wasn't locking with the key left in the ignition it wasn't a very good outcome. The reason for this post is how I managed to get my drivers door locking I simply removed the plastic surround around the pop up plastic door switch the thing that should go up and down but wasn't, I sprayed WD40 down the hole then I dug a small screwdriver into the switch and manually managed to force it up in an open position. Fingers crossed locked it with the remote and thankfully it worked. Hope this may be of help to someone, the state of the switch tells me this isn't the first time this has been done.
The Fool Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 00:19   #7
creronr123

Default Mine is doing similar

Hi mine is also doing the same. I lock the door with the remote all doors lock except the drivers door which can still be opened. Will try all three methods of solving the problem. Starting with the easiest first.
creronr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creronr123 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 22:33   #8
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creronr123 View Post
Hi mine is also doing the same. I lock the door with the remote all doors lock except the drivers door which can still be opened. Will try all three methods of solving the problem. Starting with the easiest first.
Hi, you'd do best to start a fresh post rather than revive one over nine years old.

However, if you can get some pliers onto the button on the driver's door and pull it up, that should re-engage the driver's door lock with the remote c/l.

Then you should find once you lock the door with either the key or the remote, that you won't be able to open the door simply by lifting the handle.

FWIW I've had it happen to every V/S 40 I've owned, so it's a common issue.
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 15:45   #9
Chipsnbeer

Default V40 estate remote locking moody Issues

I recently got this V40 estate. But she wont always let me in!. After a period of calming down, it, for reasons of her own decides to allow me in..
Now the other day I arrived back home on my driveway and she would n`t let me OUt ! . The doors were all locked . remote useless and door handles not working.. I had to phone my wife in the house (fortunately ) to bring the spare key and let me out!.... What the F is going on.?. batteries have been changed in remotes.. Jealousy perhaps shades of "Fatal Attraction"
Chipsnbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 19:28   #10
gatos
Premier Member

What year is the car? If your car is a Phase 2 mid2000-2004, did you try locking/unlocking the car with the button on the driver's door window switch/handle?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote