Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Whats this tomfoolery

Views : 2629

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 9th, 2019, 19:45   #1
onyourbikenate

Default Whats this tomfoolery

so picked up the XC70 not long ago and just noticed something weird.

thats a photo of it on the listing that i bought it from

then this is a photo of it last weekend after i washed it

whats happened to the rear side window... the trim is upside down and a different colour. had a look online and it looks like the window from a v70 so its a different trim.

i'm SURE i would of noticed it when i went to view it but now im not too sure! I picked it up the day after viewing it so surely it couldnt of been replaced so quickly..

can't stop seeing it now i've bloody noticed it. interestingly when i first plugged into vida it had an old fault about a window breakage or something but i cleared it before I realised that this window isnt the right one.

guess it doesnt really make any difference but i'm guessing the seller must of accidentally broken it and just replaced with a v70 one from the scrappy, i couldnt see any evidence of damage anywhere. and nothing is missing from it.

i'm probably going to do absolutely nothing about it but you know.. kind of annoyed at myself for missing it!
onyourbikenate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 21:49   #2
JRL
Master Member

Now that is weird. Is the one on the other side matching or has it got trim like in the listing pic? If so then perhaps the original pic has been reversed?
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 22:47   #3
Jms153

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
Now that is weird. Is the one on the other side matching or has it got trim like in the listing pic? If so then perhaps the original pic has been reversed?
Pic not reversed
Fuel filler is still on the right side
No idea what they have done to car
Jms153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2019, 23:40   #4
eternal optimist
Master Member

That would drive me absolutely nuts.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 08:59   #5
onyourbikenate

The other side is the right trim. Right colour.

So must of been broken and seller couldn’t be arsed to buy the right part.

Annoying
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:12   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Certainly very disconcerting, but it might be easily missed in the walk round as it matches the roof rails. Does it have the correct alarm &/or aerial wires in the glass?

The photo in the listing has to be from before the rear window replacement, perhaps the only way to place the approximate date of the photo might be the foliage on the trees or if you have a copy of the original listing on-line saved the jpegs might have their original date rather than the upload date.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 09:21   #7
eternal optimist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyourbikenate View Post
The other side is the right trim. Right colour.

So must of been broken and seller couldn’t be arsed to buy the right part.

Annoying
That will eat away at you until you get it fixed. Bite the bullet now before the irritation makes you do something irrational. But maybe that's just my OCD speaking out loud again.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 18:42   #8
onyourbikenate

Ah it’s not the end of the world I have a bit of ocd but this isn’t bothering me unless it starts to become a problem.

It does have wires in the glass but bet they’re not wired up after all if you don’t see the difference in the trim seems unlikely they would bother to sort out the wiring.

I’ll get the engine serviced and cam belt done before I think about doing anything with the window.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 19:18   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Just a preliminary 2¢:

The window moulding in the "after" pic looks homemade.

Passing note: I looked at a 2012 XC-90 R design w/125K on it today at the wholesales near me (next to Teterboro Airport). I'm thinking of trading my late sister's 2012 Mazda3 iTouring for it.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 17:10   #10
Lancee
Premier Member

The photo on the listing is not one of the car you bought ?

I quite like playing spot the difference !

The trim on your car is totally different to the listing picture ? The listing picture shows a much thicker trim along the bottom edge ?

It's difficult to compare exactly as your picture is from a different angle, but it looks like your car may actually be missing an additional piece of trim, or has the wrong window/trim ?

I have two standard V70,s parked outside now and after looking at the rear windows on both, neither is the same as the one in the listing pic'

I see the cars are XC70's. Maybe the XC70 has an additional/differing piece of trim and the one on your car has been "lost" or was never there in the first place?

If you bought it from a dealer get them to put it right as the car supplied differs from the one as advertised. Having the wool potentially pulled over my eyes is the main thing that would bother me. Looks like it possibly wasn't a genuine seller. I hope there are no less obvious issues.

Last edited by Lancee; Jul 20th, 2019 at 17:50.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote