Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cleaning the ETM

Views : 33486

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:36   #21
rachelbelmont2005
Not a Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rogers View Post
Cheapest option, if you are able, is to clean the throttle body yourself, a can of throttle body cleaner is around a fiver.

Not the cheapest, that would cost me a fiver. Customer services have authorised a free strip down, clean and software update!

Volvo's loved and lost: V40 1.8GDI, S60 2.4T, V70 2.4 Classic, 740 GLE
rachelbelmont2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 23:44   #22
bfishervet

I have a 2000 volvo S80 with 140K miles. I am having similiar problems as everyone else on here. No stalling yet (crossing my fingers). I am planning on trying to clean the throttle body tonight. Has anyone simply replaced the throttle body themselves? how much does one cost? Is it fairly easy to simply replace. I understand that the cleaning may only be a quick fix that will soon be a problem again.

Thanks
bfishervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 00:36   #23
mikealder
VOC Member

Have a look at Don's web site by clicking Here as it contains loads of information about the ETM issue and what the root cause is, well worth spending a little time to read through - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:40   #24
bfishervet

Thanks for the information. I was able to get the throttle body cleaned. The dealership wanted $120 to clean it, so I thought it was worth a shot to try myself and take it in if I could not do it. I was unable to remove the whole throttle body because I could not get to all four hex screws. I may try again when I have enough time to take the fan off and get better access. I was able to clean a fair amount of deposit away from the butterfly valve, and test drove the car about 20 miles around town stopping at several red lights, then on a stretch where I could just drive without stopping. I can tell a huge difference in the way the car idles. Prior to cleaning it would flutter from about 500 rpm to 1000 rpm. Now it idles steady at 700-800 rpm. I realize this may just be a temporary fix, but I will live with it as long as possible. I spoke with the dealer today about the recall issue, and he told me it was good for 10 years from the purchase date or up to 200K miles. The car was purchased in Sept 99, so I am 3 months too late!!
Thanks for your help.
bfishervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 02:11   #25
Furball
Muppet

Default 2001 UK C70 in Aus with ETM issues

Hoping for some help here as we're a bit stuck.

We moved to Australia last August, bringing our 2001 C70 with us. Of course as soon as we got here it started having *issues*.

We just had the ABS controller replaced with a reconditioned one, but the ETS light is on too. The bloke who replaced the ABS thing also cleaned the ETM module in the hopes that that would fix it but the light has come on again almost immediately. Looking at the vexedvolvo site, there's nothing that can be done for free in Australia, even if it was an Aussie car - our model was never sold over here (only a 2L not turbo) so we're kind of stuck even if they did as the likelihood of them shelling out for a Pommie car.

Anyway, our mechanic reckons if cleaning it a few times doesn't work, we will need a new one. Over here they're about $1500 or about £750 and I'm wondering how much they are back in the UK? It might be cheaper to buy one ourselves and get it sent given that price? Volvo bits are even more stonkingly priced over here than at home!

Also, are there any other questions we should ask him or things we should ask him to do? I was going to have a look at the ETM and see if it had a white or a yellow sticker (bets are on white) but then i realised i don't know where to find it... is there a "map" anywhere?

Many thanks,

Cat xx
Furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 10:35   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

You need someone in UK to buy one for £160 and send you ... but it will need software loaded by your volvo dealer before it will work ...
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 10:52   #27
mikealder
VOC Member

One other option which avoids the need to load software to the car is remove the faulty ETM (an easy job) DHL it to bba re-manufacturing LTD in Kent who can fix your ETM and then send it back for you to re-fit to your car, as its the same device with new pots fitted it negates the need for the software install, might not be cheap, mine cost £330 last year but it avoids the software install which you might find difficult at an Aussy dealer.

At least check how much they would fleece you to install a new ETM vs install just the software then work out if these are dearer than the bba option click Here for some details - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 11:33   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

The new Volvo unit is probably best value as failure of the new ones with yellow lablel is almost unherard of . Software in uk for the ETM is only 50 p ... Volvo Australia should be just as capable of doing the software as any dealer in the world , they all have to link to Gothenburg to do the software .. BBA are rather overpriced now that the price of the ETM has come down from £600 to £160 ...
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 02:15   #29
FatLadZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The new Volvo unit is probably best value as failure of the new ones with yellow lablel is almost unherard of . Software in uk for the ETM is only 50 p ... Volvo Australia should be just as capable of doing the software as any dealer in the world , they all have to link to Gothenburg to do the software .. BBA are rather overpriced now that the price of the ETM has come down from £600 to £160 ...
rang riverside in doncaster today and they want £360 to do the ets
where can i get one done for £160?
FatLadZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2010, 19:03   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatLadZ View Post
rang riverside in doncaster today and they want £360 to do the ets
where can i get one done for £160?

you wont get one done for £160 , that is the cost of the ETM itself .. The turbo model is much more difficult to change than the non turbo so will be about 1.2 hours labour say £120 all + VAT of course ..