Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wing mirror problem

Views : 1363

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2016, 18:40   #1
borzio

Default Wing mirror problem

Hi Guys
This morning I failed to miss a pothole in the road....actually, to be accurate, I failed to find the bit of tarmac that links all the potholes in what passes for an "A" road these days in Glasgow.

Anyway, soon after the nearside bump, the mirror started wobbling about. I stopped to check and found that the mirror itself had detached from the sticky backing material which is on the wing mirror proper. It wouldn't stick back on securely so I removed it for safe keeping till I got on the forum.

The wing mirror still adjusts via the door button, and the wing mirror body is undamaged. So the obvious question is:

Can you buy the backing strip separately from the mirror? Or what is the easiest solution if you can't?.....silicon? double sided tape?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
borzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 19:33   #2
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I would've thought the backing strip would only come with the mirror.
Nip into a windscreen replacement place if one is near you to see if they have/ can suggest the best sticky strip to get for it.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:05   #3
happy diver
Active Member Moment

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=110911107921

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:06   #4
borzio

Default s40 mirror

Thanks for the idea V40DSchariot, there's one in the estate nearby, I'll go tomorrow and ask nicely, grovel, whatever it takes.

On googling wing mirror glass, some cars have tiny clips on the wing mirror body that lock the glass in place as well as having the glue or sticky backing.....anyone know if the s40 has these?

I'll look at it in the morning as it is dark now, but some folk have said that these clips can be broken off, so it would be usefull to know if the s40 had them as standard. It may explain why most of the backing strip held while a corner of the glass was vibrating too much to get a view.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:14   #5
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by borzio View Post
Thanks for the idea V40DSchariot, there's one in the estate nearby, I'll go tomorrow and ask nicely, grovel, whatever it takes.

On googling wing mirror glass, some cars have tiny clips on the wing mirror body that lock the glass in place as well as having the glue or sticky backing.....anyone know if the s40 has these?

I'll look at it in the morning as it is dark now, but some folk have said that these clips can be broken off, so it would be usefull to know if the s40 had them as standard. It may explain why most of the backing strip held while a corner of the glass was vibrating too much to get a view.
The heating element is glued to the back of the glass, this in turn is glued to the plastic carrier frame that then in turn clips onto the motor bracket. It is the integral clips on the carrier frame that break.

The windscreen people will be best to advise on the best glue/tape. I think the heating element will be critical as the heat could melt unsuitable glue.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 20:24   #6
borzio

Default s40 mirror

thanks for the explanation ITSV40....the s40 doesn't have heated wing mirrors, least ways I don't think so, hope it does LOL....but am I right in thinking that what you said about the clips may mean that it is one of these back clips that may be moved/broken, and that the glass adhesive may not be the main problem with the wobbling?
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 21:04   #7
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
thanks for the explanation ITSV40....the s40 doesn't have heated wing mirrors, least ways I don't think so, hope it does LOL....but am I right in thinking that what you said about the clips may mean that it is one of these back clips that may be moved/broken, and that the glass adhesive may not be the main problem with the wobbling?
I was under the impression that all X40's had heated mirrors, I'm not familiar with the poverty spec tho'.

Assuming you still have the mirror glass, the black plastic mounting frame will either still be stuck to the back of the glass - if this is the case, the clips will be broken - or the frame will still be on the car -clips should be good. I suspect the glass has become unstuck from the frame. If the mirror is heated you will see the heating element with two electrical wires attached by spade connectors - most likely still on the car.
Old Mar 18th, 2016, 21:41   #8
v40alex
I do like a V40

Any decent brand double-sided foam pads or a blob of silicone (held in place with masking tape for 24 hours if you do it on car) will stick it back on.
The Following User Says Thank You to v40alex For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 18:58   #9
borzio

Default s40 mirror

Have put the mirror on with double sided tape as bought from our local motor factor as the windscreen mob didn't want to know.

I had to remove the damaged factory tape from the back of the mirror as it had crinkled in the top corner and lost it's stickiness. This tape didn't have foam backing.
Beneath this was a thin clear plastic sheet stuck to the body of the carrier....the interesting thing about this was that, between this clear sheet and the body of the carrier, was what I presume was the element for the mirror heater. Looked like a miniature rear screen heater with two round flat electrical copper contact discs.
As stated before, I didn't know the s40 1.6 had heated wing mirrors as I've never noticed any effect over the winter, maybe they are all the same out the factory as ITSV40 noted above, I'm sure someone will be able to tell if these are wired on the s40 as I couldn't see any connectors.

The mirror seems well secured, the wing mirror moves as it should from the door toggle, so hopefully that is it sorted.
The Following User Says Thank You to borzio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2016, 19:13   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Have put the mirror on with double sided tape as bought from our local motor factor as the windscreen mob didn't want to know.

I had to remove the damaged factory tape from the back of the mirror as it had crinkled in the top corner and lost it's stickiness. This tape didn't have foam backing.
Beneath this was a thin clear plastic sheet stuck to the body of the carrier....the interesting thing about this was that, between this clear sheet and the body of the carrier, was what I presume was the element for the mirror heater. Looked like a miniature rear screen heater with two round flat electrical copper contact discs.
As stated before, I didn't know the s40 1.6 had heated wing mirrors as I've never noticed any effect over the winter, maybe they are all the same out the factory as ITSV40 noted above, I'm sure someone will be able to tell if these are wired on the s40 as I couldn't see any connectors.

The mirror seems well secured, the wing mirror moves as it should from the door toggle, so hopefully that is it sorted.
Glad it is sorted. The heater element you describe is just that, the element for the heated mirrors. If they are working you will certainly see the effect on a cold frosty morning. The heated mirrors work off the rear window demister switch. Two simple tests to see if they are working. 1. steam the mirror with an electric kettle and the mirror should soon clear when switched on. 2. just switch the rear demister on, wait a few minutes and the mirror glass should be warm to the touch.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: