Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thieving Insurers

Views : 9709

Replies : 94

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2010, 23:03   #1
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Thieving Insurers

Well I had a slight bump in my 760T. Front wing. I slipped in a new sidelight myself. Headlight was not broken. Hockey stick OK. Bumper was pulled a bit but has crept back. Slight ding on front wing - so slight that at a passing glance you would not notice. Slight closure (sixteenth of an inch) of shut line between wing and bonnet - but inspection shows movement under the bolts that bolt the bolt-on wing on - so a carrot to Lombard Street that is going to be merely a matter of re-aligning the wing on the bolts. Slight closure (less than a sixteenth of an inch) of the shut line between the sidelight and the headlight - probably pinch from the wing.

Yes, I have some idea what I am talking about - I worked while a student in a Ford dealer bodyshop and the head sprayer for whom I mostly did prep was poached by Rolls-Royce.

Aviva (I name names, me) tell me that the cost of repair will be over £2,000 and want to write my baby off. I know what this is about - my only escape will be to abandon the part of my claim (probably a knock-for-knock) and fix her myself - so they save themselves the REAL cost of repair, probably about £250 (re-align wing on bolts, ping dent out with balloon or little hydraulic tool, a bit of plod, then cellulose putty, primer, undercoat and maybe spray whole wing and tiny chip touch up on edge of bonnet).

Did I mention that this is on a cherished car policy? Lots of bull**** on the phone about "not repaired to our standards sir, but you can go to a backstreet bodger if you like".

AVOID THESE THIEVES.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 00:43   #2
40s
1.8 not GDI, T4 1.9cd

I hear you. and agree,same insurance has writen mine off to ten years i had her till a taxi ran up the back of me,to much to fix they said,bunch of frauds the lot of them, bought new back bumper to get it back on the road then my funds ran out.thats me driving around the streets of manchster with a woping dent on the back left side. hope you fare out better than me roger,
40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 01:03   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

I ditched Norwich Union years ago when they wanted to do a knock-for knock when readymix hit my car despite him obviously driving into the side of me.
Something to do with readymix also being insured with them...
Then then had the audacity to try and withhold my no claims bonus when I moved.

Touch...
Not...
Pole...
Barge...
Sterilised...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 06:32   #4
V70Driver
Premier Member

Don't get me started on insurance company's.
They are all thieves and look after themselves. The lovely patter to get you to part with your money and then once they've got you, like Government Minister, promise everything then give nothing.
And we all need insurance of one kind or another.
GRRRRRR
V70Driver
V70Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V70Driver For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 07:31   #5
Guy Incognito

Sounds like a scam to me. I thought the point of a cherished poliy was to reflect classic values rather than book? Buggers the lot of them.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 13:21   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

having fun and games with NFU after the combine driving into my car and trying to drive through the 240 trailer.

I obtained an estimate from the guy who did a temporay repair so I could use the car and they agreed on that with using s/h parts keeping costs below value of car.

However, when it cam e ot the trailer they have offered me £450 for it. I can't exact;ly go out and buy another and the theory is I should be put back in the position I was pre-collision. What they have offered barley meets the cost of a donor car and materials to build one, much less labour and painting. I will take this one all the way.

I am still trying to get another claim sorted from December last year for broken tailgate glass and scratch on tailgate. They want to put a Cat C on it despite it passing its MOT a couple of days after with the window broken!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 14:00   #7
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

oh dear ! good luck with that one mike, i have yet to find an insurance company i can trust we have had two claims in 40 years of driving none of which were our fault but we still ended up worse off 1 was a lancia hpe volumex sat at a roundabout when hit from behind from a police car. you can probably guess who won that one.bloody coppers and thieving insurance company,grrrrrrrrrrr.

lynda & ron.

Last edited by lyron; Oct 30th, 2010 at 14:01. Reason: shocking spelling.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 15:59   #8
galloot633
xc90, volvo number five

had the same happen to me a couple of years ago, though mine was a classic bike, I just wanted a few hundred to repair the damage but the insurer wouldnt have that , had to be new parts which would cost more than the bike was worth, so they wanted to scrap it, luckily i was the " injured party " so i got a no win no fee solicitor and I ended up with more than the bike was worth and I kept the bike aswell.
dave
galloot633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 17:10   #9
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

What's the difference between a Motor Insurer and a bucket of S**T ?

The Bucket.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 17:17   #10
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Smoking gun

I now have 5 repair quotes: two at £75 all in, one at £250 all in, one at £305 all in, and one (oral so far will be here in post in due course) £250 + Volvo pinstriping tape + VAT so about £350 all in. Quite clearly if Aviva are putting the repair cost as about £2,000 there is something funny going on!
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote