Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Selling my Volvo! But buying another!!

Views : 969

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:24   #11
Doctor Who ?

Thumbs down

All this Money malarkey makes me want to My late Dad was a Bank Manager so he "Showed me the way". Can't trust Cash, Can't trust Draft(s), Can't trust Credit Cards,... Damn SHAME on us ALL
Doctor Who ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:40   #12
friedfrog
Global Warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 740Estate
shocking!

Check the Volvo? out in the animated bit towards the top of the front page.
It is a Volvo? And the mistake is.....?

Tsk...

Tsk tsk indeed, absolutely no attention to detail. The legendary Volvo grille is on backwards. And what’s that annoying noise when you hover yer pointer thingy over the links? It sounded like a rivet gun, I wonder if that’s how they stick there cars together!
Friedfrog

Atheism; A not for prophet organisation.
friedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:38   #13
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by friedfrog
Tsk tsk indeed, absolutely no attention to detail. The legendary Volvo grille is on backwards. And what’s that annoying noise when you hover yer pointer thingy over the links? It sounded like a rivet gun, I wonder if that’s how they stick there cars together!
Friedfrog
Undoubtedly down to the dumb-ass web "designer" that came up with the Flash amine for the site..
Obviously doesn't know his ass from his elbow!!

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 17:30   #14
gnhuk
Balding.............

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptecuk
It may be of some comfort to know that when I recently purchased a selected one year old S40 from the local main Volvo dealer they would only accept payment by debit card (which is an immediate transaction). They would not accept a bankers draft unless it was cleared before release of the car to me. Nor would they accept credit card.
When I paid for mine I was going to use a draft but they suggested using a debit card - made the transaction so easy........
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 22:08   #15
peteS40

Well I got the car, everything went fine in the end, which I suppose was the most likely thing (it is just the slight risk of not going well would have lead to serious problems!)

I found out where the guy had parked and although we were meeting him at the bank, as it happened we ended up getting a space right opposite his car! This was good as a) it meant he had brought the volvo with him and b) we could make sure it looked alright.

In the bank, he was suddenly a changed man, acting fairly normally! In fact it was me who could have got away without paying him the money, as he handed over V5 tear-off bit, receipt and keys before we'd gone up to pay the money into his account! Anyway paid it in, shook hands, that was it. He'd also given me the ticket for the car park, so my Dad and I just left, went back to the cars and drove away! Sorted.

Of course, whenever you buy a new car you immediately find loads of things wrong with it - and this car is no exception to that rule!

First off, I'm sure the slight dent on the o/s/r wing has magically grown since I last saw it!
I now know why the guy always had "recirculate air" pushed in. It's got the well known "clicking" problem from that servo motor, so I will be printing out the many instructions on this forum so I know exactly where to make a hole to get at it. Of course I did try turning off recirculate but I guess the seller got lucky, as it never did this noise whenever I test drove it.
The drivers seat back makes an incredibly annoying squeak, it didn't do that the other day either!, will have to look into it.

Well these are the 'new' faults and there are some other things that need sorting too. But, for me now it is "a tale of two volvos" for a while and I've already started swapping a few bits over. If I was a sad muppet who didn't get out much, and tell you all how interesting it is to compare the engine bay of a phase 2 S40 with a phase 1 S40. For example, did you know that on the phase 2 there are 2 screws holding on the cover over the idle valve but as the phase 1 has a slightly different valve there is only room for 1 screw.... (yawn)...

Anyway ta all for your helpful comments made over the last few days.

Cheers,
Pete
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 22:17   #16
gnhuk
Balding.............

Pete,

The creaking drivers seat is a feature - mine does it often enough to be annoying but each I decide to do something about it the sound goes away.......... One day I'll sort it.
2012 S40D3 R-Design
gnhuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 22:27   #17
peteS40

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedfrog
And what’s that annoying noise when you hover yer pointer thingy over the links? It sounded like a rivet gun, I wonder if that’s how they stick there cars together!
Friedfrog
This reminds me of something hilarious that happened when I went to look at the Richardsons of Hampshire car (which I don't think I mentioned before), concerning their staff, specifically the dumbwit mechanic.

Basically he was trying a few tricks to get me interested in the car. Problem was, he didn't have enough brain cells to make it look convincing. Picture the scene, we've just come back from the test drive and the mechanic comes over to be told what work needs doing (like fix the electric aerial - which they cocked up anyway).

Mechanic: "oh yeah, this is a great car this, a lovely car".
Me: "Yep, it's not bad mate".
Mechanic: "yeah, I was thinking of buying it myself you know, I was saying the other day to John what a great car this was".
Me: "Yeah, well you've missed out on a purchase there mate, I think I'll be taking it now".
Mechanic: "Well yeah, I mean it really is nice this one, you know I was going to buy it myself, it's a really lovely car, looks good too"
Me (jokingly, while trying to get away): "Yep, ok matey, don't worry I'm convinced, I'll buy it!"
Mechanic: "yeah, great car this one. Real nice colour too...."

Obviously his brain cell was too busy processing the "CON PUNTER" command to disable the "REWIND AND REPEAT" directive!!