Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New Car Day, Head Unit Question

Views : 770

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 16:53   #1
Funky Diver
FD

Default New Car Day, Head Unit Question

So our trusty 54 plate Executive has finally given up the ghost, lot's of things needing lots of money to fix for the MOT, so I've got a 54 plate full of stuff that's useful that I am going to remove / keep before I scrap it.

The 10 plate we've just picked up has only got a single CD player.

Will the 6 disc unit slot straight in without too much in the way of faffery or is the premium sound system in the 54 plate completely incompatible?

Going further into it, is a complete sound system graft achievable? Completely happy to swap over anything that's needed if it is just a case of one out one in... and I'm presuming that the wiring loom will be in place for the additional bits (speakers, rear pillar mounted controls, etc)

I may go down the double din aftermarket route later in time and get reversing camera, etc installed.
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2020, 18:54   #2
CondorXC90

I think its not that easy with Volvo and that the stereo etc need coding via a dealer version of VIDA if using bits from another car - all to do with the CANBUS or something........a guru will no doubt be along to explain.

Have seen a number of nice looking double-din modern units fitted though .

Shame about your Exec - should try to swop out those nice front seats too if possible!!

XC90 2008 Sport SE Geartronic, sunroof, privacy, heated seats, phone/RTI, Nav, HP Sound,
CondorXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CondorXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 16:14   #3
reggit
Premier Member

What's wrong with the exec?
Bet you'd get more money flogging it spares/repair on ebay.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 00:18   #4
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
What's wrong with the exec?
I haven't got the tools to fix it, namely the speed sensor on the offside front hub. Whoever had the car before me decided that grease was a not needed luxury where installing CV joints into hubs were concerned. Cost me nigh on £500 to replace the nearside one 2 years ago, all for a bloody £1.74 part (which I have)

Turbo also needs servicing (I think - VIDA is being all a bit vague), along with the EGR cleaning out. It's also due it's timing belt service (having hit 204k miles.

But yes, you're right, probably best to shove it on the bay for exactly that. After I've robbed a couple of non critical parts lol

Anyways, decided to get a bluetooth adapter to supply better chunes. So that immediacy is sorted

Last edited by Funky Diver; Jan 26th, 2020 at 00:22.
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:18   #5
Jimmy90

What adapter are you getting
Jimmy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 19:43   #6
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy90 View Post
What adapter are you getting
This one from Amazon, you can connect 2 bluetooth devices simultaneously (so that's me and the wife sorted) and going to use the Aux in for permanent connection.

ELEGIANT Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver, Bluetooth Audio Adapter Wireless Splitter (Optical Digital, AUX, RCA, USB), aptX Low Latency, aptX HD Dual Link for Two Headphones for TV Home Hifi System
Old Jan 28th, 2020, 22:27   #7
Funky Diver
FD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Diver View Post
This one from Amazon, you can connect 2 bluetooth devices simultaneously (so that's me and the wife sorted) and going to use the Aux in for permanent connection.

ELEGIANT Bluetooth 5.0 Transmitter Receiver, Bluetooth Audio Adapter Wireless Splitter (Optical Digital, AUX, RCA, USB), aptX Low Latency, aptX HD Dual Link for Two Headphones for TV Home Hifi System
Well that's saved a heap of effort... works really well and both our phones connect individually and together at the same time. Spotify for chunes, well sorted

Now to tidy it up and make it a permanent fitting