Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 R-Design Leaking Water in Back

Views : 5498

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2018, 11:46   #1
DJRhys

Default C30 R-Design Leaking Water in Back

Hi all, first post here so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong place!

I have a 60 plate C30 R-Design which has had a problem with moisture in the boot for a while now. At first I thought the moisture was only under the carpet in the boot but it appears to have spread into the rear foot well.

The bad weather we've had recently with all the snow, freezing and thawing has only made this worse and as I pulled up to work one morning this week I realised that the rear footwells were soaking.

I'm taking the car to an independent body shop tonight for a quote but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before?
If so what sort of prices have you been quoted etc?

The car is damaged repaired Cat C by a previous owner so I'm wondering whether that might have an effect.

Any help appreciated, cheers!
DJRhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 18:05   #2
iainmd

Two things to check. First, do you have a sunroof? Second inside the boot well are there any missing rubber grommets between the bumper and the well?

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 14:17   #3
rxtian

Check the windscreen is bonded to the body all around. We had those symptoms on our C30 and found the windscreen had seperated from the roof. Its easy to tell - you just push from the inside and you can see it move a couple of mm.... it should be rock solid.
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 09:41   #4
DJRhys

Thanks rxtian, I will have a check but as I said the water seems to be entering from the rear of the car.

It has been damaged repaired on the rear before and I have had I repainted which meant taking the bumper off etc - although the leak existed before this.

I haven't had chance to have a proper look at it as yet but will try to get a gander over the weekend for any missing grommets - will I be able to see this from the inside of the car (i.e looking in the well)?
DJRhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2018, 09:25   #5
chrisfr

On a previous car, a renault which had a repaired rear end shunt, i had a similar problem.
As i was not sure if the problem was from above ( rear screen or panels ) or below the car i pressure washed the rear screen, boot area and bodywork to rule that out.
What i did next was to remove as much as possible from the inside rear of the car. Carpets, came out first, spare wheel, and rear seats. I dried out the floor, and then pressure washed the underside. I used a talcum powder dusting on the inside bodywork around any joints or seals. Any moisure on talc shows up instantly.
As soon as i pressurewashed the underside,the leak was visible. It was not gushing in but seeping in. It was localised around the wheel arch on one side. The new panel had not been fitted and sealed properly during the repair. As the car was moving the panel was flexing slightly and water was leaking in.
chrisfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:01   #6
bids

We have a similar problem on our C30 - rear O/S footwell is wet, sometimes the front driver's footwell is wet as well. This has just started happening in the last few weeks.

We've not got a sunroof so no drains there. I'll check the windscreen later when I can get my other half to push from the inside. The other possible culprit seems to be this grommet in the boot that a few people have mentioned - can anyone explain where exactly this is located?

One thing I did notice is that the scuttle drain in the engine compartment ends in about 1" of rubber tube, the water empties from here onto the back of the engine (see attached photo). Is this normal or has something become disconnected?

IMG_20200125_141032030.jpg
bids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 16:13   #7
bids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bids View Post
We have a similar problem on our C30 - rear O/S footwell is wet, sometimes the front driver's footwell is wet as well. This has just started happening in the last few weeks.

We've not got a sunroof so no drains there. I'll check the windscreen later when I can get my other half to push from the inside. The other possible culprit seems to be this grommet in the boot that a few people have mentioned - can anyone explain where exactly this is located?

One thing I did notice is that the scuttle drain in the engine compartment ends in about 1" of rubber tube, the water empties from here onto the back of the engine (see attached photo). Is this normal or has something become disconnected?

Attachment 124945
Haha, scratch that - with my OH directing a hose onto the top of the windscreen I pressed gently from the inside and got a deluge of water into the cockpit. I think that may be the problem!
bids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 19:15   #8
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

My housemate's 2012 C30 had an issue whereby the rear windscreen washer pipe T-piece came loose underneath the C pillar, meaning water would drip from the plastic cover anytime the rear wash/wipe was used.

Not sure that's your issue but may help someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 13:00   #9
MJS3

Another thing to look out for is the rear window bumper/mounts leaking. I had water in the rear foot wells. When i pulled the rear seat out it was wet underneath as well.

For me removing the rear trim by the rear window allowed access to see that the water was coming in from the two bumpers that the rear glass sit on. I resealed these and so far so good!

my thread about it here

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299687
MJS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJS3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c30, damage, leak, r-design, water