Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 battery choice

Views : 11729

Replies : 53

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 17:30   #31
Sojournermike

I replaced my original Volvo battery at 12.5 years old this year. New one was £90 iirc, and has been fine so far.

Mike
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 13:06   #32
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Did you replace it with another Volvo branded battery?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 17:10   #33
HowOld

Well, this is all confusing now. The battery on my V70 (2012) D3 auto is weak, it states this when driving and will no longer perform the start/stop function so I am looking at replacing it. It is fitted with the original Volvo battery and have not priced up a like for like replacement from the main stealer as I anticipate a shock. I have been looking at Yuasa and Exide who offer replacement (CCA760 x 70ah) for about £107 with a 4 year warranty. It sounds like they are the same. Does it then matter which I chose. Also because it has a second support battery (their words), does this need changing also ? Blimey I am going wish I stayed with my Toyota Avensis at this rate.
HowOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 17:13   #34
HowOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojournermike View Post
I replaced my original Volvo battery at 12.5 years old this year. New one was £90 iirc, and has been fine so far.

Mike
Fine so far ? What was the make of your replacement battery and how long is 'so far'.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 18:06   #35
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowOld View Post
Well, this is all confusing now. The battery on my V70 (2012) D3 auto is weak, it states this when driving and will no longer perform the start/stop function so I am looking at replacing it. It is fitted with the original Volvo battery and have not priced up a like for like replacement from the main stealer as I anticipate a shock. I have been looking at Yuasa and Exide who offer replacement (CCA760 x 70ah) for about £107 with a 4 year warranty. It sounds like they are the same. Does it then matter which I chose. Also because it has a second support battery (their words), does this need changing also ? Blimey I am going wish I stayed with my Toyota Avensis at this rate.
Price up the volvo batt, you may be surprised in a good way.
Yuasa are much better than exide, though exide arent bad.
Look on www.tayna.co.uk excellent company.
You may need the support battery.
IMPORTANT! Stop-start use different batteries, agm or summat else, efb? Have you priced up the right battery? The price you stated sounds like a lead-acid price not an agm/efb battery...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 22:21   #36
HowOld

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Price up the volvo batt, you may be surprised in a good way.
Yuasa are much better than exide, though exide arent bad.
Look on www.tayna.co.uk excellent company.
You may need the support battery.
IMPORTANT! Stop-start use different batteries, agm or summat else, efb? Have you priced up the right battery? The price you stated sounds like a lead-acid price not an agm/efb battery...
I am learning more each day, thanks a lot. What does agm and efb mean ?
Your probably right it is a normal lead acid type, it sounds like I should get in touch with a Volvo garage.
Just as a bit of info, when I looked at replacing the support battery which has a cca120 and 8 ah, the prices coming up was staggering, around £530, yes £530. As mine is only 8 years old (just) I decided to leave it.
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 22:43   #37
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Quote:
Your probably right it is a normal lead acid type, it sounds like I should get in touch with a Volvo garage.
Just as a bit of info, when I looked at replacing the support battery which has a cca120 and 8 ah, the prices coming up was staggering, around £530, yes £530. As mine is only 8 years old (just) I decided to leave it.
Have a look at pic, and get in touch with tayna, they'll help you out, esp as a lot of main dealers are closed atm...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20200330-214221.jpg (182.8 KB, 7 views)
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 22:46   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
You wont need the support battery it leads a very easy life ... I've not heard of a faulty one in the 10 years they have been used .
The Yuasa battery is superb , but it is not the AGM correct type , get a volvo quote first .
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 01:00   #39
Kev0607
Premier Member

I have a Yuasa battery in my car that I bought from Halford's not so long ago, as my old battery (Exide) was knackered . I did shop around before buying, but the Exide battery that was originally in the car was much dearer than the Yuasa battery that Halford's had in stock at the time.

I just took measurements of the old battery I had when it was in situ in the engine bay, went to Halford's & got the same size one (It was practically identical to the one I removed, give or take a minute amount). I just gave the chap my reg & he confirmed the battery I needed, but taking the measurements of the old battery meant I could check that the new one would definitely fit in the battery cradle/holder before purchasing.

Mine is a Yausa HSB019 Silver 5000 (900CCA - 100Ah). I'd recommend this brand too, although it appears Exide (The brand of the old battery I had in my car) own Yuasa (The one I purchased).

Eitherway, the Yuasa battery seems fine & it come with a five year warranty. Don't be put off by the name so to speak because they're owned by a reputable company.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 31st, 2020 at 01:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 09:35   #40
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Yuasa and exide are different companies, different batteries.
Yuasa is a japanese company that had/has and almost entirely independent american division.
Yuasa america once bought one of exide's battery divisions and briefly became yuasa-exide until yuasa Japan purchased control of this division and did away with the exide name.
Exide is American.