Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2025376

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 30th, 2020, 20:28   #551
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Thank you for that, I had not realised these were so prone to failure (as I told Dave above, I don’t ever recall having an ignition module fail on a car or a bike). As a spare will only cost £11 I’ll order one (I checked the spares box, but unfortunately it did not have one, but I do have two complete sets of plugs, a distributor cap, a set of plug leads, two rotor arms, two coils and a fuel pump spare... perhaps the PO was planning a round the world trip?).

Alan
I've just been on a thread in the 7/9xx section Alan where the prime suspect is a tie between the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor - don't worry, i doubt you've got one of those, just a Hall Effect sensor in the dizzy) and the ignition module. They're quite common to fail on the 9xx cars in comparison with the 7xx but they have their failures too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2020, 20:48   #552
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Re the 240 ignition module. Are we are referring to the module on, a heat sink that is screwed to the wing near the battery? One recommendation idea in the forum is to carry a spare module ready mounted to a spare heat sink. Plug in to the wiring to get a 240 going quickly.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 05:59   #553
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Re the 240 ignition module. Are we are referring to the module on, a heat sink that is screwed to the wing near the battery? One recommendation idea in the forum is to carry a spare module ready mounted to a spare heat sink. Plug in to the wiring to get a 240 going quickly.

Yes, this one:

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 06:02   #554
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I've just been on a thread in the 7/9xx section Alan where the prime suspect is a tie between the CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor - don't worry, i doubt you've got one of those, just a Hall Effect sensor in the dizzy) and the ignition module. They're quite common to fail on the 9xx cars in comparison with the 7xx but they have their failures too.
Thank you Dave,
I'll order one and keep it with all the other ignition system spares (almost a complete system worth!).
Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 06:47   #555
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A few posts up you mentioned a Screwfix DEgreaser Alan - is it this one?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ser-5ltr/88668

Did you dilute or use it neat and then rinse off with water?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 08:02   #556
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
A few posts up you mentioned a Screwfix DEgreaser Alan - is it this one?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...ser-5ltr/88668

Did you dilute or use it neat and then rinse off with water?
That is exactly the one Dave. It needs to be diluted in water depending on the application. I keep a 1 litre puffer bottle of it all the time for cleaning bikes and so on around the garage - it is really good for alloy wheels as well (seems to get the brake dust off well) - work it in with a kitchen brush. Mixed up in a bucket with hot water and scrubbed in with a bass broom it is good for the getting marks off the driveway. Just hose off with water afterwards.

Alan
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 10:46   #557
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That is exactly the one Dave. It needs to be diluted in water depending on the application. I keep a 1 litre puffer bottle of it all the time for cleaning bikes and so on around the garage - it is really good for alloy wheels as well (seems to get the brake dust off well) - work it in with a kitchen brush. Mixed up in a bucket with hot water and scrubbed in with a bass broom it is good for the getting marks off the driveway. Just hose off with water afterwards.

Alan
Brilliant, thanks Alan. What sort of dilution ratios or are they on the bottle?

I use a 1L plant sprayer with diluted Flash for cleaning things round the house but hadn't thought of putting degreaser in one for the car - great idea!

Old Mar 31st, 2020, 12:18   #558
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Brilliant, thanks Alan. What sort of dilution ratios or are they on the bottle?

I use a 1L plant sprayer with diluted Flash for cleaning things round the house but hadn't thought of putting degreaser in one for the car - great idea!
The guidance is 5 cap fulls in 5 litres of water, which is probably about 50:1, so it goes a long way. I mix it up much stronger (10:1) for my puffer bottle, and find that really good for cleaning mountain bikes, alloy wheels and de-greasing motors etc. The 50:1 I'd use for cleaning the drive and bulkier things. Use hot water to speed things up, and a kitchen brush to work it in. This stuff is as cheap as chips and I've found it to be every bit as good as aerosols costing £5 for 400ml.

Best wishes,

Alan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 31st, 2020, 12:45   #559
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
The guidance is 5 cap fulls in 5 litres of water, which is probably about 50:1, so it goes a long way. I mix it up much stronger (10:1) for my puffer bottle, and find that really good for cleaning mountain bikes, alloy wheels and de-greasing motors etc. The 50:1 I'd use for cleaning the drive and bulkier things. Use hot water to speed things up, and a kitchen brush to work it in. This stuff is as cheap as chips and I've found it to be every bit as good as aerosols costing £5 for 400ml.

Best wishes,

Alan
Brilliant, thanks Alan! The sprayer thing i use for the Flash has a 900ml and 1L mark, makes it handy for the 1:10 mix! Top up to the first mark with water then add the degreaser (or Flash) to the second mark so i need another of those now.

I'll order some of that degreaser for when i next do my monthly shop at Thetford as Screwfix is more or less opposite Sainsburys there. I also go to Pet City for Sashas bits at the same time.

Old Mar 31st, 2020, 17:51   #560
Othen
Premier Member

Default ATF - Third Change

I carried out the third partial ATF change today - we are nearly there. As usual, I managed to get just over 2.5 litres out, meaning that I've changed 87% of the original ATF now. The stuff that came out was still noticeably brown, but the consistency is much improved and it is much closer to red than at the first or second change.

I'll have to wait for an opportunity to try the Royal Barge out, but I'm confident the box is working very well now and this little bit of cheap preventative maintenance will extend its life enormously. I'm still planning to do a fourth ATF change in about a month's time, then 94% of the fluid will have been swapped and the process will be complete.

This has worked well.

Alan