Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice on V90 D5 purchase

Views : 2025

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:31   #1
Baxter33

Default Advice on V90 D5 purchase

Hi

Im looking for advice on purchasing a V90 D5 R Design, 2019 car. I've read numerous comments on issues with the Powerpulse hose, is this something which all owners have problems with?

Any other common problems I should be aware of?

Also, could you give me an idea of servicing costs?

Thank you in advance
Baxter33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 21:08   #2
techwatcher
Master Member

Owners experience with the Powerpulse hose seems to vary - not everyone encounters the problem, whilst some owners have had the problem several times.

Volvo has a service price indicator at: https://www.volvocars.com/uk/own/mai...ntenance/book/
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 21:58   #3
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter33 View Post
Hi

Im looking for advice on purchasing a V90 D5 R Design, 2019 car. I've read numerous comments on issues with the Powerpulse hose, is this something which all owners have problems with?

Any other common problems I should be aware of?

Also, could you give me an idea of servicing costs?

Thank you in advance
I recently bought a pre registered V90 D5 R Design MY19 and I would seriously suggest you check out the front seats for long journey comfort. If you are at all 'broad in the beam' they are @@ood# uncomfortable. By long journey I mean 100 mile +. My previous V90 Momentium's seats were much, much more comfortable
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 22:27   #4
Tresco85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatie View Post
I recently bought a pre registered V90 D5 R Design MY19 and I would seriously suggest you check out the front seats for long journey comfort. If you are at all 'broad in the beam' they are @@ood# uncomfortable. By long journey I mean 100 mile +. My previous V90 Momentium's seats were much, much more comfortable
I will 2nd that about the seats as we find ours are awful and have to use a gel cushion to sit on.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 08:16   #5
Jackysi

I find my seats in V90 perfectly comfortable. I couldn't fit better into them, they're extremely soft and I'm 187cm pretty wide . I think it depends on what you go for. My car has massaged seats with nappa leather.

I do have some issues with my V90 including powerpulse changed and manifold getting untorqued (diesel smell in cabin from time to time), injectors housing leaking OIL, weird noise from engine mount or something like that... and it is a 2 years old car with 90.000km.

I find suspension bit firm for a Volvo but otherwise the car is really nice. I will replace it probably though, cause the service can't find noise source and its driving me crazy.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 12:46   #6
Giles1234

Hi,

The powerpulse hose went on mine and it was replaced with an upgraded hose under warranty. Since then there have been no further issues. <<Touching Wood>>

I have the Inscription with nappa leather and the seat are great. With the pilot assist you can literally drive all day and arrive feeling much less tired.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 16:38   #7
cassell
Member since 1988

Hi,

Mine's a D4 so I can't comment on the powerpulse problem but as far as seat comfort is concerned my V90 Inscription has perforated, heated and cooled nappa leather seats but not massage equipped.

I've always thought them to be very comfortable, especially with the front cushion extended and had a shock when I recently drove a V90 R Design on loan, what a difference, so uncomfortable I was glad to hand it back and I only drove it for around 50 miles!
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 08:43   #8
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

I have absolutely no issue with V90 R-Design seats, fantastically supportive and comfortable over long distances. I do some long mileage journeys at times and don't suffer any issues. If anything because the car is low, and I have the seat low, it's a tad hard to get out sometimes!

I never test drove a V90 before ordering either.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 08:46   #9
GJB
Premier Member

Have had 4 Volvos with D5 and my latest V90cc has the D4 IMHO it is far better engine than the D5.
MY10 XC90 D5 R design Red MY04 XC90 D5 SE RED
95 940 2 ltr D Silver Auto /84 740 2ltr D Red
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 15:35   #10
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Have had 4 Volvos with D5 and my latest V90cc has the D4 IMHO it is far better engine than the D5.
From your sig seems all your D5 cars were previous generation 5-cyl variants of the D5- so not the engine which is being discussed here.

On topic- 2.5 yrs in, just under 60K kms - still on the original PP hose- as a matter of fact the only thing replaced on the car is the (recalled..) liftgate struts. The PP issue is very intermittent, as techwatcher said- some people replaced it once, twice.. some never.

In any case, I’d suggest testing the D4 and D5 back to back, if you can. V90 is a big, heavy car - I found the 45 additional horses and 80Nm of torque made a world of difference on an XC60. Not to say that D4 is inadequate, ofcourse.

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post: