Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Legal advice required.

Views : 1098

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:25   #1
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Default Legal advice required.

Middle Monty in his 22 year old wisdom has bought himself a 13 reg BMW z4 from one of those car supermarkets in Peteboghorror.

The roof hasn't worked properly since it arrived, which effects the windows opening and the boot opening. It has a few other niggles.
He paid for the extra warranty.
He has had it 2 months, and hasn't been able to get hold of anyone at the garage since it arrived due to some global pandemic or something like that. Finally got throu to them on Facebook and they had it in today to have a look. Apparently something is bent, they have said they will fit the new part FOC, but he will have to pay for the part itself. (about £400)
Surely they should fix it free? Or not?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:53   #2
BilboBagginss

If you are a member of the RAC then they offer free legal advice. Not sure of the other motoring organisations.

Might be worth looking up the sale of goods act 1979.
BilboBagginss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BilboBagginss For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 20:56   #3
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMonty View Post
Middle Monty in his 22 year old wisdom has bought himself a 13 reg BMW z4 from one of those car supermarkets in Peteboghorror.

The roof hasn't worked properly since it arrived, which effects the windows opening and the boot opening. It has a few other niggles.
He paid for the extra warranty.
He has had it 2 months, and hasn't been able to get hold of anyone at the garage since it arrived due to some global pandemic or something like that. Finally got throu to them on Facebook and they had it in today to have a look. Apparently something is bent, they have said they will fit the new part FOC, but he will have to pay for the part itself. (about £400)
Surely they should fix it free? Or not?
The sale of good act which then became the consumer rights act is more than clear on this. Any thing must be fit for purpose at the time of sale, It also states that anything that is found to be wrong within the first six months is deemed to have been faulty at the time of the sale. Tell them to fix it or take the car back for a full refund, do this in writing. If you bought on finance or paid the deposit on a credit card write to them as well holding them equally responsible under section 75 of the consumer rights act. Do not agree to paying any part of the repair and if they try and give you the car back unrepaired do not collect it. Using the car shows you are accepting that it is usable.

Last edited by kenny; Jun 5th, 2020 at 20:58.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 22:39   #4
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny View Post
The sale of good act which then became the consumer rights act is more than clear on this. Any thing must be fit for purpose at the time of sale, It also states that anything that is found to be wrong within the first six months is deemed to have been faulty at the time of the sale. Tell them to fix it or take the car back for a full refund, do this in writing. If you bought on finance or paid the deposit on a credit card write to them as well holding them equally responsible under section 75 of the consumer rights act. Do not agree to paying any part of the repair and if they try and give you the car back unrepaired do not collect it. Using the car shows you are accepting that it is usable.

+1

The product was not fit for purpose.

------------------------------------------------------
Comfy and roomy but a bit boring. I've had two.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 10:10   #5
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Thanks chaps.
I will put everything in writing. I really don't want to go up to the dealers myself as I would probably end up swearing if they try to mug me off. And that helps no one.
Also middle Monty can be a bit of a dope so would be easy to fill full of BS at the dealers.
So the game plan is to research the customer rights act, then put into writing the problems.
Thanks again
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 16:46   #6
andrewpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMonty View Post
Thanks chaps.
I will put everything in writing. I really don't want to go up to the dealers myself as I would probably end up swearing if they try to mug me off. And that helps no one.
Also middle Monty can be a bit of a dope so would be easy to fill full of BS at the dealers.
So the game plan is to research the customer rights act, then put into writing the problems.
Thanks again
The artist formerly known as Honest John was always getting questions like this, and his stock answer was always: "Consumer Rights Act", put it in writing to the Dealer Principal giving them 14 days to rectify fault(s) free of charge, send it recorded/signed for, and keep a copy. If you don't get agreement within 14 days tell them, by the same method, that you're taking them to court.
If there's a credit card involved in the purchase, then as mentioned above, the card company is deemed jointly responsible under section 75 of the Consumer Rights act, and he'll need to contact them to lodge a claim for a refund.
Good luck...

Last edited by andrewpain; Jun 6th, 2020 at 16:47. Reason: typing
andrewpain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrewpain For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 14:01   #7
EssexExile
Master Member

My legal advice would be not to take legal advice from anonymous people on an internet forum, especially me. Try the CAB.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 23:09   #8
morwenna240

I feel andrewpain, despite being an anonomous person on an internet forum, basicaly has it a-right. Another option is to send letter to consumer rights page in the Guardian (miles brignall, rebecca smithers); a letter from the Guardian kicks most people up the arse pretty quickly.
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morwenna240 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 06:41   #9
BigMonty
ICE ICE BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
My legal advice would be not to take legal advice from anonymous people on an internet forum, especially me. Try the CAB.
In the years I have been on this forum, I have always been guided in the right direction.
Old Jun 9th, 2020, 22:29   #10
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssexExile View Post
Well I might not be a lawyer but I have been around long enough to have met a few dodgy dealers and enough online sharks to need to make claims. Having taken advise and then using the very advise I have just given I have managed to reject two faulty cars for full refunds and been successful in many claims for internet items that have arrived damaged or simply not arrived or been miss sold through false advertising, I am more than confident the CAB office would give the ferry advise I have given.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post: