Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

To buy or not to buy

Views : 1469

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:32   #11
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
The Euro 4 D5 185 is crap on fuel, especially around town.

Old one blows it out of the water for economy, and that matters a lot with a diesel.
A couple of years ago I ran a 2008 XC70 AWD D5 (185 E4 engine) alongside my 2003 XC90 163, doing the same journey from Beverley to Leeds every day down the M62 the XC90 did 2 MPG better in spite of weighing 400 Kg more and over twice the mileage on it.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:33   #12
prjames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
- Did I mention £565 car tax on post Feb 2006 185 BHP models? All 163 BHP E3 XC90's are £330 - they 185's are highest tax (which is down to the government changing policy rather than the engines but it is wrong to say the 163's are the most expensive).
Not sure if different years have anything to do with the tax but my old 59 plate D5 185 BHP was £330 as is my "new" 14 plate D5 200 BHP.
The 14 plate is noticeably faster and smoother with lots less downshifting.
Also averaging 30.8 MPG at moment so better economy on the newer model. And with the current situation I haven't been on any long runs yet.

XC90 2009 Deceased
XC90 2014
VW Polo 1.6 TD
prjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2020, 22:39   #13
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjames View Post
Not sure if different years have anything to do with the tax but my old 59 plate D5 185 BHP was £330 as is my "new" 14 plate D5 200 BHP.
The 14 plate is noticeably faster and smoother with lots less downshifting.
Also averaging 30.8 MPG at moment so better economy on the newer model. And with the current situation I haven't been on any long runs yet.
The 200 BHP engine is much better than the 185 for efficiency but still likes the refinement of the early 163. The gearbox is the same on both cars.

Volvo did get the emissions down enough eventually on the 185 engine to reduce the tax, manual models just stayed under the heavy bracket.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 07:34   #14
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
A couple of years ago I ran a 2008 XC70 AWD D5 (185 E4 engine) alongside my 2003 XC90 163, doing the same journey from Beverley to Leeds every day down the M62 the XC90 did 2 MPG better in spite of weighing 400 Kg more and over twice the mileage on it.
Twice the mileage is probably why it did 2 mpg better. Less internal friction. My current 185 with 141k is giving about 15% better than our previous 163 with similar mileage, which is a more valid like for like comparison.

Just simple physics at play there folks.

But my advice to the OP stands. Why swap a known good car, for a car that's already proven very troublesome with a classic 163 fault and which has already costs thousands to keep on the road?

I'd sooner still have the 200, even better economy, better torque, generally better reliability, but seeing as I have my Dad's cast offs and don't pay for them myself the 200 won't ever be on my driveway. The series will instead run (X5) 163, 185, T8. In addition, the chances of the OP being able to find a 200 for the value of a 16 year old Audi are non existent, but he might just find an earlier 185 for similar dough.

Last edited by Dastardly Diesel; Apr 29th, 2020 at 07:40.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 09:19   #15
Javaman365
Arthur Daley's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinkingofaxc90 View Post
Afternoon all!!

IShould I steer clear or could it be a good one? Current owner has only had for couple months. Can anyone tell me what I really need to look at please? Has no proof of cambelt but offered to give me 200 for that. Any advice please?
Sounds like they want a nice reliable Audi in return for a shed, tbh.
The Volvo sounds very leggy, and that they've only had it a few months rings alarm bells for me. Or they're a trader looking to offload a problem child and turn a quick profit on yours to boot.
Walk away, plenty of decent choice out there.
I'd personally up your budget and look for a 200bhp XC90 if you're dead set on an XC90. Having chosen one over a 185, it's a lot more 'urgent' when on the move.
Do bear in mind though it will be substantially softer and less involving to drive than the Audi.
Javaman365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 09:25   #16
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javaman365 View Post
that they've only had it a few months rings alarm bells for me
^^ That.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 09:40   #17
skippyfox
VOC Member

Agree with Javaman and Moosetest. Why get shut of the car after a few months? Me thinks you could end up with a lemon. There are plenty of decent XC90's out there for sale. I wouldn't jump at the first one to come along. Good hunting.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 15:22   #18
reggit
Premier Member

If someone is offering to do a swap on a for sale advert, definitely smells like a heap of trouble.
If you're not desperate, I reckon there'll be a glut of sale adverts once this lockdown is over as they can't really class changing a car for the sake of it as essential.
Old Apr 29th, 2020, 17:52   #19
Thinkingofaxc90

Really appreciate the input from you all. Think I will steer clear of that one and look for another.
Thinkingofaxc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thinkingofaxc90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2020, 12:28   #20
ianu
Premier Member

Thumbs up

High mileage shouldn't be a problem on any XC90 if it's been maintained properly (not necessarily by a main dealer - but someone who knows these vehicles)
I've got a 163 manual, had it from new and has just crossed 307k. Apart from genuine routine maintenance items (brakes,clutch,front suspension arms/bushes,alternator,cam belt, tyres- and finally the crankshaft seals at 305k), the only recurring issue that is a weakness on these earlier ones is the AWD spline shaft/bevel gear. Never had an injector issue and I'm still on the same turbo - maintenance is king. Auto boxes on earlier cars had a tendancy to suffer from a bit of lag on take off? Don't know if this was sorted or not or if it affected all 163 cars...someone might add their view on that
As mentioned, you can easily check the AWD by reaching underneath (OK, crawling) and trying to turn the prop shaft - it should not turn. If it does - plus or minus a hundred or so, budget a grand to get it fixed. Irrespective of what others might suggest, unless you're doing it yourself (think carefully 1st), there are potentially several issues that may subsequently need dealing with:
Spline shaft toast - can be replaced. If the bevel gear shaft is toast as well, then it's a replacement bevel gear too. While your there, if it's a manual - think about doing the clutch. While your there - think about having the core plug done if it hasn't already been done (even if it has - it's pennies).
Mine is worth absolutely nothing really, but it is the best family vehicle I've had by a country mile... and it's not too shabby off road either :-)

As mentioned, there is plenty of choice out there, anyone trying to pass one on quickly I'd run a mile.
Cheers
Ian.
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ianu For This Useful Post: