Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 V60 D6 1000 miles into ownership

Views : 898

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2022, 19:26   #1
motor84

Default 2016 V60 D6 1000 miles into ownership

We have done 1000 miles so far in our D6. I have to say, I am very impressed with the car. As an all round family car, its perfect for us. I am looking forward to many more miles. Fitted some Michelin Cross Climates. So far so good. No big road noise and ride is nice. Also had it serviced at Volvo, they were very helpful.

Having come from owning some 20 BMWs over the years, and being a bit stuck with BMW, thinking they are the best, Volvo has changed my mind. The drive is smooth, the build quality is excellent and the looks are spot on.

Impressive things:
  • Carrying a lot of weight the rear didn’t sag at all. I guess due to uprated suspension for the electric motor and battery?
  • Ride quality and sound proofing very good IMO.
  • The regen on the battery is way better than I expected. On a 100 mile motorway trip with some hilly roads into Somerset it gave me back about 8 miles. I think that’s good.
  • Handling is nippy for a heavy car. It feels like a small car around town, and cruises like a bigger can on the motorway.
  • The app. Never had such a modern car. I’m loving being able to see the charge status etc.
  • Volvo have great accessories. I love all that stuff. Bike racks, roof bars etc.

Not so impressive things:
  • With a lot of weight (5 up with camping gear and a bike on the back) the Diesel engine seemed to struggle a bit up hills. It felt like a much smaller engine that it is (2.4). But I did come from a 535d with huge amounts of torque. That much weight is a one off so its no biggie.
  • The app keeps logging me out. I need to login fresh each time.
I can’t really think of anything else at the moment. The car is that good!

I will see how it is after 5000 miles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1395.jpg (400.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1392.jpg (388.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1443.jpg (339.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1467.jpg (396.8 KB, 32 views)
motor84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to motor84 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2022, 22:20   #2
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

All good 👍

Similar to you, I came from a (Revo remapped) Audi 3.0 V6 TDi and the torque was more instant, but I'm enjoying far better mpg!

Bizarrely, while I'm on smaller wheels than yours and the same tyres, I find the ride a bit brittle on rough surfaces...
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 18th, 2022, 08:58   #3
Buckshot61

Get BSR Stage 1. Then you should have enough power. 346bhp/743nm
Buckshot61 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buckshot61 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 18:51   #4
motor84

Default 1700 mile drive to France and back - Update

Just got back from driving to the South of France and back. The car was great. Didn't miss a beat. Super smooth.

I now have a bit more of an understanding of the car. Its a bit compromised on long trips due to the smaller tank and ICE only MPG not being the best, BUT, once you are at your destination, it comes into its own again. Its quite hilly where we stay and there are lots of short trips to beaches and shops. We did all that on electric. Charged at the place we stayed, so no cost to us for running around. Only diesel to get there and back.

I discovered that 68-70mph is optimal for MPG, I think this is true of all cars. 75mph seemed to use quite a bit more fuel. We were quite well loaded up. 2 adults, 2 kids. 10 days of luggage and my bike.

Some stats:
  • 1750 miles.
  • 4 and a bit tanks for fuel.
  • Best out of a tank. 450 miles.
  • Journey down there. 47.8mpg average. 68-70mph.
  • Journey back. 45.9mpg. Tried a 350 leg of it at 75mph, then the rest at 70.
  • Running around at destination, all EV!
  • No on the road charging. Just used SAVE and kept some EV for end of journey.
  • Only really used PURE and SAVE. I can't actually see a use for HYBRID. It drains the battery too quickly.

Conclusion. Best I can imagine from a tank would be 500 miles with no weight and all motorway. Drive it around town on ICE and it drinks fuel. I had to plan the driving a bit. Saving a good 9 or 12 miles of EV for driving once arrived at destination. On and off the Eurostar etc.

If you want a pure motorway mile muncher, this is not the car. But long drives with local driving either end. I think its great. The local driving is where you burn the fuel and thats all EV with the D6.

Still loving it basically. I have not found any major issues or limits yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1657.jpg (404.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1503.jpg (399.9 KB, 16 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to motor84 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2022, 19:14   #5
Ulrikas PA
Master Member

Glad that we are both on pretty much the same page on its pros and cons.

I had originally planned to be doing more motorway miles when I bought it, so knew that a modern 2.0TDi would have been better on mpg for those trips.

I use the settings exactly like you do, but am lucky that I'm now doing more 20-40 Mile trips, where the EV is great.

If I could smooth the ride out on rough surfaces, I would be happy. Maybe it just needs some weight in it as yours sounds good on the trip !

Ps How were the toll road queues and prices - we are skiing in December.
Ulrikas PA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ulrikas PA For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2022, 09:16   #6
motor84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrikas PA View Post
Glad that we are both on pretty much the same page on its pros and cons.

I had originally planned to be doing more motorway miles when I bought it, so knew that a modern 2.0TDi would have been better on mpg for those trips.

I use the settings exactly like you do, but am lucky that I'm now doing more 20-40 Mile trips, where the EV is great.

If I could smooth the ride out on rough surfaces, I would be happy. Maybe it just needs some weight in it as yours sounds good on the trip !

Ps How were the toll road queues and prices - we are skiing in December.
I do agree its a bit rough on bad roads. But I don't mind it. I run 39psi which probably makes it harder. But at speed on the motorway its fine IMO. But, I have come from a long line of BMWs, many with MSport suspension so it feels quite smooth to me.

Toll roads are super smooth and didn't hit any traffic. There was 1 toll queue on the way home. 2 mins or so. I guess it depends when you travel. Peak times it could get worse. I've not added up the tolls yet. To the South of France I think its about £120 in tolls. Assuming you're going to the Alps? Less distance so maybe £80-100? I think its well worth it personally.

I guess the AWD will really help when you get there?
The Following User Says Thank You to motor84 For This Useful Post: