Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

looking for tips on restomodding

Views : 1959

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 28th, 2023, 12:48   #1
Shywaz

Default looking for tips on restomodding

Hi Volvo fans!

Been busy digging info on restomoding, but the more i search, the more confusing it gets, lots of different info and opinions. So please help me out with the right direction, hopefully, based on your experience.
Looking forward to build/restore Volvo Amazon, and as far as i'm concerned, for my ultimate goal, the most appropriate way to do is to get a donor car, and swap everything from it. Would like to stay in Volvo family, but if its far too complicated - could do with any European/Japanese model. (US cars are nice too, but its hard to get parts as i'm located in Europe) So which donor make/model would be the best to achieve the following:

- 350-400hp, pref. Naturally aspirated or supercharged, in worst case turbo (would like to avoid cutting/modifying firewall)
- Manual or auto with manual mode Transmission (cutting or welding driveshaft is acceptable, modding transmission tunnel too), plus vlsd differential
- Independent air suspension front and back (wider track is not a problem)
- Brake discs all round with ABS and traction control
- Power steering

I know this will require tons of modifications and lots of custom jobs as there is no direct swap, but some helpful hints would make my garage time easier.
Thanks!
Shywaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 14:03   #2
packers1712

Wow! If you are aiming for N/A 350 - 400bhp then your not left with too many options, 5litre+ V8 at a minimum I would say!

There is a chap currently fitting a 350 small block into one in the UK and someone has already done it stateside, probably be worth trying to find build threads for either of them.

I'm not sure what options you have if you go supercharged - 4 cyl or 6cyl V or inline, whatever you choose is going to be a challenge if you don't want to mod the firewall (bulkhead here in Blighty)!

The other obvious mechanical/safety mods will be whatever is required to deal with that sort of output for the brakes, steering and suspension!

Good luck!

Doug.
packers1712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 15:14   #3
Juular

Toyota 1UZFE sounds ideal as it's fairly small and light and in standard form you're looking at in the region of 300bhp. There's a good supercharging community too. Some of the LS400s came with air ride.

Electric power steering is a bolt on mod if you were keeping the stock front end, but it sounds like you may be looking for more. I'm not sure what's involved in changing to rack and pinion but I imagine some major changes to the subframe are in order, and if you're going for ABS it may mean a complete change of setup anyway.

The Volvo 240 rear axle is a common swap with off the shelf brackets, and gives you rear discs and a sturdy axle. Some late 240s also have ABS.

If you're looking at staying in the family your only options for big power are the T5 and T6 (..but turbo) or the Yamaha V8 in the S80.

Last edited by Juular; Mar 28th, 2023 at 15:17.
Juular is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Juular For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 18:37   #4
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Realistically you aren’t doing that changing parts. Realistically this is a bodyswap, check this group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/332774808873843

There’s a lot of folk doing it. MX5 and BMW M3 possible options. Your HP range will be pretty much undriveable with the weight of the car on air bag suspension. Low to mid range torque makes a better street engine than high rpm HP.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 18:55   #5
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Roof chop on eBay atm with power plant fitted 🤣

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285205880...Bk9SR9K9tYTlYQ

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 06:32   #6
Shywaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
Wow! If you are aiming for N/A 350 - 400bhp then your not left with too many options, 5litre+ V8 at a minimum I would say!
I currently drive 3.5L N/A with ~300hp, its a V6 - so there must be something that fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juular View Post
Toyota 1UZFE sounds ideal as it's fairly small and light and in standard form you're looking at in the region of 300bhp. There's a good supercharging community too. Some of the LS400s came with air ride.

The Volvo 240 rear axle is a common swap with off the shelf brackets, and gives you rear discs and a sturdy axle. Some late 240s also have ABS.

If you're looking at staying in the family your only options for big power are the T5 and T6 (..but turbo) or the Yamaha V8 in the S80.
thanks for the direction! how strong is 240 rear axle? what power it can take without stress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Realistically you aren’t doing that changing parts. Realistically this is a bodyswap, check this group on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/332774808873843

There’s a lot of folk doing it. MX5 and BMW M3 possible options. Your HP range will be pretty much undriveable with the weight of the car on air bag suspension. Low to mid range torque makes a better street engine than high rpm HP.
yeah, i know that FB group, but there is rarely somebody doing an Amazon swap...

right now my car has ~300hp, but sometimes it feels just not enough (the car weighs ~1600kg) so Amazon with less weight and similar power should be a sweet spot. Also, I wanna be low when I need to, and high when roads are bad - so I don't see myself adjusting coils every single day, that's why I'm thinking of air-ride.
Also, the car I'm planning to build/buy is more like a weekend fun, not a track car - so as long I can use it on streets - it's fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post

Damn... the steering wheel is in the glove box... (I drive it on a "wrong" side of the road)
Shywaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2023, 07:56   #7
packers1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123GT-AMAZON View Post

The advert says MOT exempt - how?

I currently drive 3.5L N/A with ~300hp, its a V6 - so there must be something that fits

Just to clarify 300hp and 350bhp are very different things, your 300hp car probably has around 270bhp that's nearly 100hp less than you say you want for the Amazon, about the average output of the car originally!

Doug.
The Following User Says Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 07:49   #8
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packers1712 View Post
The advert says MOT exempt - how?

Doug.
It is correctly registered as a 5400cc motor car with DVLA, so I'm guessing the civil servants in Swansea didn't notice that 5400 was a bit mote than 1800 Doug!

Old Mar 30th, 2023, 08:16   #9
Rustinmotion

I think you need to decide why you need that much horse power, let’s face it bagged 50 year old suspension is never going to be a track focused car and you don’t want bagged suspension for drag racing so I’m guessing it’s more for show than go, that’s fine your car your money but a lot of the time the end result is so compromised it’s not fun to drive
For a nice driver I’d look at MX5 or later Volvo which would be 200 ish bhp, or Honda S200, I had an S2000 with a rotrex fitted putting out just shy of 400bhp or if you can find one a straight 6 from an M power BMW that’s 340 out of the box nice torquy motor if a little heavy
I would think it easier to fit an inline engine even with two extra cylinders than a v
Rustinmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustinmotion For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 09:37   #10
packers1712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
It is correctly registered as a 5400cc motor car with DVLA, so I'm guessing the civil servants in Swansea didn't notice that 5400 was a bit mote than 1800 Doug!

I don't thank there is too much joined up thinking between government departments, so I doubt it is even on anyone's radar (wow I really am sounding like an old man), not that I'm particularly trying to promote VOSA clamping down on potential rule breakers of the MOT exemption rules but if you are going to go to the effort of creating some legislation at least attempt to enforce it!
It would be a comforting thought that all of the "heavily modified" cars on the roads were safe and I think this legislation was created to try and help achieve that I just don't think its policed!

Doug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to packers1712 For This Useful Post: