Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bit of advice needed guys(1995 855 T5R Auto)

Views : 1183

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:10   #11
bobcat
Premier Member

As you have a 1995 car, do a search on how to read the codes using the diagnostic ports in the engine bay.

then you can go from there, dont waste you time changing what could be at fault when your not 100% sure.
Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:19   #12
JCT5R

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice Bobcat
Although its a 1995 850 T5R its a very late December model........the OBD port is in the car below the ashtray and not in the engine bay near the washer bottle.

I will overhaul the pvc system for my own peace of mind as i had a rear crank main seal go on an 850 t5 i had 2 years ago.

John.
JCT5R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 15:37   #13
JCT5R

Talking Skin missing off hand,fingers and wrists !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5 View Post
hi there..., i too would suggest that you would appear to have a inlet air leak meaning that you have unmetered air entering the inlet manifold..without a code diagnosis it would be rash to guess where but i would pay particular attention to the rubber elbow attched to the inlet manifold by the thermostat ... http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/vacuum_lines.php ..these are very tricky to replace so often go missed....
i had a severe split in my last elbow and the warning light came on, however i did also clean my throttle housing, iac valve and maf sensor strip at the same time so it may or may not have been related....
cheers
jod
Checked the small rubber elbow under the thermostat/adjacent to the power steering pump and guess what !!??...................It was split and had come off the small nipple on the inlet manifold.

After losing at least 17 layers of skin on my hands,wrists and fingers,i managed to wrap some insulation tape around the pipe and push it back in to position.

Started the car,idled steadily and smoothly at 850rpm...she was purring !!
Pulled dipstick tube with engine idling and NO smoke whatsoever.Went for a spin and she drove very well.

Will replace with new section once my skin has grown back !!

Thanks for the pointer Jod............shes running very nicely,just as she was before this palava !!!

John.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 16:17   #14
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCT5R View Post
It was split and had come off the small nipple on the inlet manifold.

After losing at least 17 layers of skin on my hands,wrists and fingers,i managed to wrap some insulation tape around the pipe and push it back in to position.

lmao...been there john.....as a temporary fix you can get rid of the elbow and connect a length of 4mm samco or other hose from the nipple down to the pcv joint by running the hose under the fuel rail..like this..

i would not expect your "mod" to last two long, there is some pressure being lost there....a tip..heat the pipe end in boiling water to expand it before attempting to get it on the nipple..a) it lubrication and b) the pipe expands...
good luck...
cheers
jod
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 16:48   #15
JCT5R

Thumbs up Much Appreciated !!

I know my repair wont last but at least,thanks to your tip,i found the problem area,the car wont be used until the weekend which is when i will sort it all out as i want to do it properly which is when i will get the time.

Im sure my hands will be fine........after surgery and physiotherapy !! LOL !

Almost got my hand stuck at one time...........do i call the AA or an ambulance/fire engine !!???..............LOL ! Now THAT would be embarassing !

`MAN TRAPPED IN VOLVO ENGINE`

John.