Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Baffling problem

Views : 1611

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2003, 15:40   #11
jason

Hi Adam,
The problem is occuring i guess when throttle is about tree quuarters down not fully on the floor and from what i can gather it is aprox 5100 rpm where this power loss occurs,in 1st gear i dont generally rev that high and have nt noticed it before when i have accidentialy reved passed 5100rpm,actually way passed!! it is fine, i will give it some abuse this evening and see what its like ,will try 1,2,3 gear up to 5,500 for obvious reasons 4 and 5th will not be used,unless mr Porche appears on the scene.Will e-mail you this evening with results.

Thanks Adam.

Jason.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 15:45   #12
jason

Have to say i was a little surprised myself that i kept up ,but not as much as the guy in the Porche as he gave the car a serious run with back tail sliding trying to get grip ,although the sound of the porsche engine is superb,this car had one exhaust either side on the right and left ,no badge on the back apart from Carrera badge,would love to know what one it was though.

Jason
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 15:50   #13
jason

Hi Ben,
The Buy and Sell must have a look i know of a couple of rolling roads but none that will do diagnostic runs apart from the usual checks,hows your 242 coming along? good to see i am not the only Paddy modding their Volvos in Ireland,must meet up when your 242 is done.

Jason
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 16:01   #14
jason

Hi Simon,
Yes know of various car tuners here in Ireland ,but mention Volvo and they look at me very strangely!!
Yes the internal engine work does pay off increasing the power and even more so the torque but it is expensive to say the least and the car was off the road for nearly 4 weeks waiting for the the good tuning companies to book the engine work in,but it has been worth it ,the custom ecu was the icing on the cake and will allow me to change certain parameters for future mods,like a bigger turbo and bottom engine rebuild!!! if the missus will settle for B&B next time we are on holidays?
If you can offer any help on the problem i am having i would be very grateful Simon,looking at replacing the coil this weekend to a heavier one.

Jason
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 21:53   #15
volvotuning

Cheers Jason,

I will await your email.

Adam.
Old Dec 15th, 2003, 22:40   #16
don kalmar union
Trader

Default RE: Baffling problem

Jason,

The one change that you have made that does sometimes cause a problem is removing the MAF screen. The sensor looks for a consistant flow at this point and the screen is designed to prevent air tumbling passed the sensor. Maybe worth a try putting it back, though why it would cause a problem only in 2nd.gear God knows.

Otherwise you could try, where practical, reversing each of your other mods to see if that removes the problem.

Regards, Don.

kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 16:36   #17
jason

Hi Don
Thanks for the suggestion Don i will try putting it back in and will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again it times like this that the forum is fantastic.

Regards

Jason

Old Dec 16th, 2003, 17:30   #18
Ben O Brien

Hi jason.
Im not sure of the details of the rolling road people but i remember seeing it and thinking oh ya must get that done,242 getting on great have it stripped and all the nice bits in the garage just have to tidy up the body and put it all back together(the whole thing seemed way easier in my head than reality!!)however itll be worth it when finished (twin dellorto 45s,lumenition kit,3.5"exhaust,leather, walnut, lowered volvo suspension-not sure of specs,GLT alloys and pirelli p6000 tyres and nice vented and grooved discs,)there is more just cant think,and it will be sprayed jet black but not sure its the right colour..anyway enough rambling on my part.
kinda nice to see im not the only modifying crazed paddy on here.
Im definetely going to the uk for a track day though when its finished,do mondello do track days do you know but id prefer to meet up with more volvo owners though in the uk for the track day.
we must meet up when ive it finished but im sure your volvo will kick my ass though!!!
Best Regards
Ben
82 242 2.3(being modified)
82 244 2.3
89 245 2.0
91 245 2.0
96 854 2.0
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 18:34   #19
Dan F
Premier Member

Hi Jason.

My car is amazingly strong in second gear, if your mods are anything to go by, you may just be overboosting in second due to the gear ratio allowing the car to accelerate so quickly in that gear.

Have you had a custom map after all of these mods or did you fit some stuff after the remap?

Sudden loss of power could be the fuel is not getting there. The sudden puff of blue smoke may be oil being pushed past the piston rings by the pressure, plus a healthy (unhealthy) dose of unburnt fuel.
Perhaps your fuel pump cannot deliver fuel at a high enough pressure or maybe your fuel pressure regulator isn't man enough for the compression pressures you're now getting. Alternatively perhaps the ignition map hasn't got enough data for what is hapening precisely at the moment the loss of power happens and it just doesn't spark, or of course your spark plugs may be too 'weak' or the gap may be too big or too small for your setup and are getting 'blown out' in 2nd which may be the only gear in which you get that particular combination of boost, pressure and revs.

Or alternatively..... I haven't a f**king clue!! ;-)

Maybe that will spark someones memory or give someone something to go on, but all I know is if my car pulled in every gear like it does in 2nd, I think it would break! :)

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2003, 21:42   #20
jason

Hi Dan,
Thanks for the reply like your car mine is also mental in 2nd gear and always was,until the mods were done now 3rd gear is like you descibe "i think it would break "it is very aggressive from 2,800 rpm.

The remap was done after the mods were completed with the exception of the racing plugs,i am using the original injectors and fuel regulator which should be ok.
Volvo tuning sent me a less aggressive map which was run on my car originally when it was on the rolling road,it boosts slightly less than the other map and is a lot more gradual as opposed to going straight to 1.3/4 bar,still the problem persists ,might takes Dons advice and change the maf screen and then go back to the original plugs the race plugs are same spec just run colder than standard ones.

Thanks for the help Dan.

Jason