Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Baffling problem

Views : 1607

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2003, 14:51   #21
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Baffling problem

Hi.
I would definitely replace the MAF screen, it is there for a reason.
Also I would go back to the previous plugs. If they are too cold (as it would seem) then they are going to foul up and cause power loss, although why it should happen so abruptly in second only is, I admit, weird to say the least.

My car is mental in 3rd too, (actually it pulls like a train in all gears) but due to the speeds you can reach in 3rd I never hold it as long as second. In second you can floor it to the red line using all that power, and you are barely above legal motorway speeds before you have to change to 3rd.
Best gear to have fun in legally is 2nd!! ;-)

Later,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 15:24   #22
volvotuning

Jason,

Whatever you try, do one thing at a time, and then test after each change. For example, try the other plugs, and then test. If it solves the problem, then great. If not, try the next change such as MAF screen. This stuff needs to be done methodically so you'll need patience too.

Adam.
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 16:41   #23
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Baffling problem

Also good to do one mod at a time rather than a bunch of things at once, that way you can be more or less certain that the last thing you did is causing any new problem you may be having subsequent to the mod being done.

The process of elimination is your only real method here, unless someone shows you the 'oh I had that happen to me and it was such and such' shortcut! ;-)

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 17:23   #24
jason

Thanks guys ,
Have a busy weekend ahead of me now,will let you know how she goes ,thanks again .

Ps .waiting on a price for rebuilding the bottom half of the engine with stronger con rods,bigger turbo etc,then 1.7 bar here we come until i find something else i guess ,these modifications really do become addictive.Help.

Jason
Old Dec 17th, 2003, 17:34   #25
volvotuning

Jason,

Don't want to spoil the fun, but 1.7 bar will need very high octane fuel, otherwise you won't get any more power. Detonation will limit the power you can achieve. More boost doesn't always result in more power, and too much will often result in less power.

Unless you have access to the right fuel, building an engine for 1.7 bar is kind of pointless!

But I have this sneaky suspicion that you will keep modding, because you want to be the first man into space in a T5. Should be fun!!!

Adam.
Old Dec 19th, 2003, 23:27   #26
jason

Hi guys,
Well after all the frustration i think we found the problem of the power loss in 2nd gear at last,so for all those who modify their engine or drive the car very hard keep a close eye on the bottom engine mounts if the car has 100k miles on it or more,mine where totally destroyed particulary the one beside the gearbox,under hard acceleration with the existing engine mounts the engine and gearbox was pulling on all the hoses and wiring looms,including a vacuum pipe being pulled tight when the engine moved under acceleration,i found a slit in it sucking in air when it got stretched by the engine moving i also found that the water pipe from the block to the heater matrix was also wearing against the gearbox again under hard acceleration and constant movement. The price of the perished Engine mounts for 3 is just over €420.00 euros which i thought was very expensive for an engine mounting.
So be aware guys if you modify your engine check those bottom engine mounts for wear .

Thanks to all who helped on this problem,still dont know why it only happened in 2nd gear maybe something to do with the abrupt movement of the gearbox/engine in that gear.

Jason