Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Upgraded brakes question

Views : 1070

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 16:40   #1
jason

Hi Guys ,
Looking for some help with this one please, i am looking at upgrading the calipers and discs on my S60T5 front wheel drive to 4 pot calipers and discs from a S60R all wheel drive,anyone know if these new brakes would fit my own car,or where i could find out.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 19:51   #2
Al115
Premier Member

Default S60 brakes on Vadis?

Does anyone have access to Vadis to compare the S60 R (AWD) and T5 (FWD) spindles to help answer Jason's question?

Alastair
Al115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 16:20   #3
volvotuning

Hi Jason,

Your car has big discs, so the best value brake upgrade is to simply change the pads for the Ferodo Performance or Ferodo DS2500. This gives you AP stopping power for a fraction of the price.

Adam.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 17:41   #4
jason

Thanks Adam,
Hope you are well,I had those parts on the 850 and I have to say they are super pads ,but in comparisn to 4 pots under hard braking i could not imagine they would be as good.

cheers

Jason
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 17:52   #5
volvotuning

I'm doing ok, so I am!!

Hamish uses Ferodo DS3000 on the race car, and they're more than up to it, but that's a proper race pad. The DS2500 will be fine for you on your discs, but it's probably worth speaking to Hamish for more info.

Adam.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 18:29   #6
jason

Cheers Adam,

Jason
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 14:48   #7
bobcat
Premier Member

off topic sort off!

the new evo fq-400 (405bhp) comes with ferodo ds2500 all round as std! so that says alot about how good they are.

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 19:27   #8
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Default DS2500 pads will squeal...

These pads are not the quietest around so be prepared for sharp glances every time you apply them from cold - they get quieter when they're hot.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 19:40   #9
Ross9
Master Member

Default RE: DS2500 pads will squeal...

It's the case with most high performance pads, they get noisy if theyre not regularly used in anger and when they are cold.

As with most things, the more upgrading you do the more comfort and practicality is lost.

Ross
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 20:01   #10
volvotuning

They may squeal a little at low speeds and when cold, but the best thing about them is that they work when either cold or hot, ie you don't need to heat them up first to get superb braking - they provide superb braking all the time.

To be honest, I think you would need to drive ridiculously hard to get brake fade with the DS2500 pads on the large discs. I never once managed to get fade with the 850R when using these pads, and that was with the 280 mm discs.

Adam.