Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 t4 2001

Views : 346

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2019, 20:49   #1
s40t4trowsdale

Smile S40 t4 2001

Evening All,

are wanting to start to tune my Volvo s40 t4 2001.

can anyone give any pointers on what to do first?

I went to a remaping company today and they said that because the car has done 166K miles its too much but i know that Volvos are good for 200K+ as my dads 850 did.

Anything is help.

Thanks

Adam
s40t4trowsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 22:12   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

You can shorten the actuator arm between the turbo and the wastegate which will give you more boost, however I absolutely wouldn't do this until you have a boost gauge fitted so you can see where things are, standard is 14 psi, mines running 18 psi with a stainless system and no cat, running 99 octane fuel always, it is most definitely not slow, it is however also broken, unrelated to the boost I think (piston rings) but it does pay to be careful, not something to be done lightly.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 14:42   #3
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
You can shorten the actuator arm between the turbo and the wastegate which will give you more boost, however I absolutely wouldn't do this until you have a boost gauge fitted so you can see where things are
This is actually a pretty stupid way of trying to get more boost. The standard ECU software will always try to compensate and pull back any over boost it detects, so unless you're remapped, the ECU will fight what your turbo control value is trying to do and you'll just end up in a big mess in the long wrong.

The P1 ECU works differently and the method mentioned above will give you more boost, again though, it's not a safe way to do things.

Mappers for T4's are few and far between these days, might be someone left on T5D5 who can help but there's certainly nobody on these forums that can do it.

Your only other option, if you're in it for the long run is a stand alone ECU but fitting that and getting someone reputable to map it for you is going to cost you big time.
Old Jan 10th, 2019, 18:32   #4
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
This is actually a pretty stupid way of trying to get more boost. The standard ECU software will always try to compensate and pull back any over boost it detects, so unless you're remapped, the ECU will fight what your turbo control value is trying to do and you'll just end up in a big mess in the long wrong.
Hey, i never said it was wise, I just said that it works, and it does haha, although I'm guessing that there is a degree of overboost allowed before the ECU gets involved, as mine pulls strong at 18 psi, and begins to tail off at around the 4k mark without any messing around, pretty typical of a 14t and that level of boost, they haven't got the CFM to maintain that pressure at higher rpm, they can't push enough air, it's probably all relative anyway as when it was set at the standard 14 it wouldn't start to Peter out until around 6k, so you either get less poke but for longer standard or a big dollop of power lower down with it turned up.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jan 10th, 2019 at 18:35.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 23:14   #5
s40t4trowsdale

Thanks for all the information i will go and think it over and take my time.

How does an induction kit work? will that help with power?
s40t4trowsdale is offline   Reply With Quote