Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 324699

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2017, 21:49   #701
oragex
Premier Member

Playing with this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbmCJTn8sQQ
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 15:40   #702
colind9

Well yesterday actually... I fitted a new transmission bush, the linked type as the old one had fallen to bits. I then flushed out and replaced the manky old atf that was in the steering reservoir for the correct chf11s oil (green and clean!) Then I did the third auto box sump dump (4 and a bit ltrs coming out each time... hope that's right?). reasonably productive day.
Still to do rear discs, pads and shoes, front discs and pads and anything else that I may find on the way...
colind9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 22:28   #703
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

What kinda car? How many miles? How long have you owned it?

The '99 in your profile has a manual box.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 15:32   #704
MarvinMitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise old monkey View Post
your insurance will still go up next time as you have been involved in a accident
I'm not so sure about that, since my insurance company had no expenses other than administrative which are part of the deal?
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 15:35   #705
wise old monkey
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinMitt View Post
I'm not so sure about that, since my insurance company had no expenses other than administrative which are part of the deal?
so did mine two years ago, but it still shot up another £300, so i swapped companies
wise old monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 17:03   #706
john493
Spannering since birth

Default Driving lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
I've got an extra lights habit !
Just got this light mounting today:
http://www.lazerlamps.com/licence-plate-mount

Not really decided yet what driving lamps I'm going to mount on it. Later state it can take 5kg, which seems a lot to me. I'm thinking Hella 500FF or something similar. Might need a stay-bar too......
Fitted the light mount today, pretty straight-forward. Then trial-fitted one Hella 700FF lamp (had these lights new in the loft for years and they're f-bright).
Pretty happy with it, though I will need to fit some stay-bars to hold the lights steady. Not sure how that will work out yet. I'll be popping the grill off in the next few days to see what options there are for mounting the stays. Maybe using the horn mountings.
Anyone else done this ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2069.JPG (164.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2068.JPG (171.1 KB, 20 views)
(GS Addict)

Last edited by john493; Jan 30th, 2017 at 17:46.
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 17:23   #707
ASt85
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wise old monkey View Post
so did mine two years ago, but it still shot up another £300, so i swapped companies
It is worth running an online insurance checker (those Meerkat purveyors or even that Welsh tenor with the 'tache, MSE, & others) to get the lowest quote then find your existing company in their listing if you like or trust them, then going back by phone to that EXISTING insurance company and asking them if they can match their own generated on-line quote or that of their competitors; 9 times out of 10 they are happy to match or beat the quote as they aren't paying an introduction fee to the on-line checker/provider and so not only do they get to keep your trusted custom at a knock down price - but also save on admin costs.

Using this approach I have consistently halved the insurance renewal quote year on year, staying with the same company, in whom I have ultimate trust, for the last 10 years as they are a high street retailer of repute. (NB they include "free" RAC @home break down cover, EuropeAssist, Free hire car during repair due to accident etc, key care cover, + legal etc. etc + protected NCB - I also include three other named drivers, all fully comp with an XS of £100 for me but £250 for the younger of the other 3, yet it costs me only £28.32 pcm which includes a notional charge for "credit" spread over 12 months). Whilst this may not be the cheapest it is reliable and trusted to do what is right when the chips are down - and no I don't have shares in Marks & Spencer.

Having said all that the best deal I get is on a '92 MX5/Eunos via the broker Adrian Flux at £112 fully comp per year which includes, key cover, as well as stored parts cover up to a further £2000 over the photographically proven & agreed value of the vehicle.

It pays to shop around and pick up the phone - online is not always the best solution for any type of insurance - HAGGLE - you'll be surprised by what you can achieve with no confrontation and very little effort.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Jan 30th, 2017 at 18:03. Reason: Would that I could spell correctly and type at the same time!!!!
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2017, 22:36   #708
colind9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
What kinda car? How many miles? How long have you owned it?

The '99 in your profile has a manual box.
Yep, you're right. for some reason I just carried on typing 'auto'!!! Manual it was.
2002 xc70 D5 AWD with 242255 miles on the clock. We became the owners on 8th Jan this year.
Old Feb 6th, 2017, 20:43   #709
colind9

Sunday just gone I flushed the transmission and used the correct JWS3309 fluid. Does it feel better? yes, it does. I still have the transmission 'buzz' whilst coasting (never does it when stationary) only when foot is lifted from accelerator pedal. I'm still not sure what it is... Having read other posts on the bevel g/box, my thoughts are straying to the splined connecting shaft between the transmission output and bevel crown gear shaft.
Old Feb 8th, 2017, 19:54   #710
smk70

Default oil core plug

I have just finished removing and fitting the manual gearbox in my 2003 V70 D5 after the oil gallery plug popped out above the rear crank seal.
I fitted a new intercooler and front engine mounting at the same time. Its running a lot better now.
It wasn't the ideal weather for doing it but I didn't have much choice.
Next job is to get rid of the large oil stain on the drive.
smk70 is offline   Reply With Quote