Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1961 Volvo PV544 in Holland

Views : 83233

Replies : 750

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2019, 18:13   #571
Derek UK
VOC Member

Horn when stationary? Very useful when the car in front starts to roll back when you are stopped in traffic. OK, you're officially driving but I bet most of us have used the horn when parked for both good and bad reasons.
Not so nice when kids are left in a car and they play tunes on it until the parents come back and give them a clip round the ear. Whoops, can't do that, a mild telling off will have to do.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:17   #572
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Horn when stationary? Very useful when the car in front starts to roll back when you are stopped in traffic. OK, you're officially driving but I bet most of us have used the horn when parked for both good and bad reasons.
Not so nice when kids are left in a car and they play tunes on it until the parents come back and give them a clip round the ear. Whoops, can't do that, a mild telling off will have to do.
In these circumstances your ignition would be switched on. also covered by- and they need to warn others of their presence. Just can't see any reason why you would want to by pass the ignition switch. BTW, I'm just as guilty as the rest.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 16:08   #573
Army
marches on his stomach

If you consider the horn to be part of a safety system then perhaps that explains why it is often operational regardless of the ignition.

I tried to find definitive information on the interweb but couldn't - I found lots of references to Audi owners where surprised their horns couldn't be used to warn an oncoming vehicle when they were parked (with the engine and ignition switched off).

I think I'm going to wire mine to "always live"
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 16:30   #574
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Results of my alternator wiring head scratching

The car (when bought) already had an alternator fitted but for some reason some parts of the wiring were half connected to the old voltage regulator - and there was a whole load of spliced in mess to make it all work.

To be honest I took one look at it all and thought "that's going in the bin" - I couldn't be bothered to try and understand what had been done and why.

This has meant that I've had to toddle off to the interweb to try and understand what is going on - well what should be going on - and how it would be best to re-wire the car.

Looking at the Volvo wiring diagram they seem to use the main / large connector on the starter motor as a central point from which the rest of the vehicle is powered. This results in a nice single connection to the +tve terminal on the battery. The original wiring route for the power charging side of the system was dynamo to regulator to the terminal on the starter motor...

...the position and relationship between the positions of the battery (storage), alternator (power generation) and the rest of the electrical system (load / usage) got me thinking and searching about for an ideal arrangement.

After much reading I found this site =>

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...witworks.shtml

In the link above there is a nice explanation of how regulators work (for people like me who struggle with electrickery). I particularly liked the concept that the best place to measure the requirements of an electrical system is from a central point where the power generation, storage and usage meet.

So after checking that the alternator is indeed a three wire system...

...I've come up with the following plan

I intend to fit a central connecting point on the inside of the engine bay on the alternator side of the engine and run the main power feed through into the passenger foot well where the buzz bars for the fuse box and ignition switch will be housed. After the fuse box the wires will be run throughout the vehicle as described previously to the other two "electrical connection areas".

I think I'm getting used to this electrickery.

Exposure does help. For example: I now realise that the charging warning light comes on because of a "switch" in the regulator fitted to the alternator - that's the point where the magic happens... (!)
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 19:19   #575
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Army;

Your sketch looks OK, and if you believe you understand the Alt (or Gen) based charging Sys, great! I agree a "Three-Wire Alt" should always be fitted to retain function of the AMP Indicator...anything less is just silly... See also: http://www.sw-em.com/altkit_addition...ire_Alternator ...you may find other useful info on that page as it pertains to vintage Volvos, and Alt conversions thereof.
Your understanding of the differences in wiring between Gens (where ouput must be routed through VReg and its Cut-Out Contact, see: http://www.sw-em.com/Bosch%20Generat...ut-out_contact ) and Alt, (where Output can be wired directly to into Elec Sys because uni-directional current carrying nature of rectifiers makes this unnecessary), is also correct.
On this page (http://www.sw-em.com/elecramb.htm) which discusses the difference between Voltmeters and Ampmeters to monitor a vehicular elec sys, I have included the "H" diagram, which might help you further understand electrical generation, storage and usage, and current paths in a vehicle, and the way those play together.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2019, 14:55   #576
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Army;

Your sketch looks OK, and if you believe you understand the Alt (or Gen) based charging Sys, great! I agree a "Three-Wire Alt" should always be fitted to retain function of the AMP Indicator...anything less is just silly... See also: http://www.sw-em.com/altkit_addition...ire_Alternator ...you may find other useful info on that page as it pertains to vintage Volvos, and Alt conversions thereof.
Your understanding of the differences in wiring between Gens (where ouput must be routed through VReg and its Cut-Out Contact, see: http://www.sw-em.com/Bosch%20Generat...ut-out_contact ) and Alt, (where Output can be wired directly to into Elec Sys because uni-directional current carrying nature of rectifiers makes this unnecessary), is also correct.
On this page (http://www.sw-em.com/elecramb.htm) which discusses the difference between Voltmeters and Ampmeters to monitor a vehicular elec sys, I have included the "H" diagram, which might help you further understand electrical generation, storage and usage, and current paths in a vehicle, and the way those play together.

Cheers
Thanks Ron,

I'm the first to admit I need a bit of virtual support with this - I'm much more at home figuring out hydro-mechanical circuits such as old fashioned automatic transmission valve bodies - but - as I said above exposure and familiarity helps...
Old Jan 23rd, 2019, 15:36   #577
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Heat shrink choice

May be I'm getting a bit too involved in this wiring business but I've gone for some gucci gucci fake fabric-like heat shrink

(Apologies for the picture - snow on the roof of the workshop today made everything dull so the flash on the camera activated which makes everything look a bit anemic)

It gives the wiring loom a bit of an olde worlde feel.

Most importantly despite the extra thick wiring and the extra number of wires the heat shrunk cables for the front section of the car go nicely through the original hole in the bulkhead

...Now I've gorra find that PV rubber bung kit I bought
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 wiring heat shrink1.JPG (192.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 wiring heat shrink2.JPG (104.5 KB, 61 views)
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 12:00   #578
Army
marches on his stomach

Default It might sound like a chick flick...

...but sometimes serendipity strikes!

I found some sill cover plates for a good price =>

They are made from some sort of aluminium alloy - meant to be shiny - no rubber or plastic has ever been applied to the upper surface (evidence of bitumen goo on the underside).

The seller said they came off a PV444 L series so that's between January 1957 and August 1958 - the last of the PV444s. Whether these sill plates were fitted on earlier versions or not, I do not know - whether these were factory fitted on the PV444 L series must also be questioned a little bit as the seller could only say where he had got them. I think the chances are good however...

...these PV444s are proving to have interesting bits on them! First the nicer sun visors - perhaps a nicer grill (?) - and now a reasonably priced solution to the sill cover problem.

Happy days.
Old Jan 24th, 2019, 23:05   #579
Derek UK
VOC Member

The alloy sill plates look like Amazon to me. Originally wouldn't have had a screw hole under the L in Volvo but an extra one not unreasonable. Will be interesting to see what you find.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2019, 15:07   #580
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Oh SLOBLOCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The alloy sill plates look like Amazon to me. Originally wouldn't have had a screw hole under the L in Volvo but an extra one not unreasonable. Will be interesting to see what you find.
Drat and double drat - these sill cover plates don't fit at all

They're about 3cm too long and they don't have a bend in the middle (I should have remembered that)

I've contacted the seller to see if I can get a refund - wish me luck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 sill covers PV444_3.jpg (138.3 KB, 43 views)