Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70R Chassis Setting Service Required

Views : 2254

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 15:24   #1
Scara

Default V70R Chassis Setting Service Required

Hi, I am looking for some advice...the 'chassis setting service required' light has recently come on (V70R 2004). The garage have said I've pulled the wiring out and it needs a whole new strut/shock absorber (NSF) and are quoting me £600 plus labour.
I've found a couple of articles that suggest I should get both front absorbers done at the same time?
I've also found a Monroe set that are considerably cheaper (£385 for two)...

Advice welcome on whether I should get both done at the same time and if Monroe parts are ok to use?

Im looking to sell the car in the near future so wanted to get the work done prior to that, unless its something that a buyer with the know how would rather do themselves?

Thanks
Scara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 08:11   #2
savabill
Master Member

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19
I think the above link will take you to the correct part of the forum.

NOW 59 REG 2.5T V70 Ice White

SOLD 55 REG T5 V70 Ruby Red
savabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 14:14   #3
100K+
Premier Member

I too run an R and have read that Monroe supply the active shocks to volvo. However I seem to think when they are replaced they need Vida/dice to get ride of the error message. Not much info here but was lots on V70. Com a usa site also info on swedespeed. Com.
Cheers bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2018, 15:08   #4
Turbodave
VOC Member

I've recently bought four Monroe shocks for mine, not fitted yet but yes it'd be prudent to have a quick check / calibrate / clear with Vida once any sort of work has been completed. The error message will generally clear once the faulty part is replaced but Vida is needed to clear the history and / or calibrate the system / headlights etc.

£600 plus labour for one is ridiculous... but yes, I'd be replacing them in pairs and potentially budgeting for anything else associated that may be worn / worth doing so drop links, top mounts and the hub to strut bolts and they're seemingly stretch bolts and really shouldn't be reused. I'd also say about an hour a side max, there's nothing more complex than a boggo V70 aside for the 4C looms being a bit fiddly (clipped in near the strut / inside engine bay)
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 16:00   #5
Scara

Thanks...I'm new to this so apologies for using the wrong part of the forum!
Old Jun 19th, 2018, 16:02   #6
Scara

Thanks very much for the advice. I think I will go with the Monroe parts and investigate your other suggestions too. Much appreciated!