Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2016 Airbag Reset, EGR, clutch pedal and stop start battery

Views : 699

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2018, 17:40   #1
V40R

Default 2016 Airbag Reset, EGR, clutch pedal and stop start battery

A little background, I bought a V40 D2 2.0 with 10k, going on 8 months ago.

This was a 'damaged' vehicle for which I quite 'remarkablely' obtained a number of parts from a gentleman that happened to work at the garage that started a repair for the insurers.

The said insurers whom eventually had had enough.

It's a rather long story happy to post in another thread, I was thinking it would be nice to show the process of reassembling a complete front end. I have taken snaps throughout.

I am on the verge of buttoning it up now and I have a few niggles.

I have an airbag light that needs resetting. These were kindly 'removed' and 'inadvertently' retained being bought back on eBay

Having been driving it for about two months, the EML light has come on and having checked the code, it displays an EGR fault.

Since the very beginning, the stop/start has not functioned, on an odd occasion it kicks in but immediately restarts the engine.

Clutch pedal has begun to creak.

My question would be, is there anyone localish (50 miles) to me with expertise/equipment to reset the airbag light (my equipment is more geared to VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda)? Or any other support/guidance aside from the main dealer route.

The other issues, I assume these would be covered under warranty (a few months left!) as there is a track record of similar issues with other owners, I assume the aux battery has gone for the start/stop anyone had joy in warranty covering that? or have any advice on replacement?

I would really appreciate any help, many thanks.

And apologies for the mini essay, four birds for the chop with my first post!

Last edited by V40R; Dec 18th, 2018 at 17:52. Reason: Error
V40R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 21:29   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40R View Post
A little background, I bought a V40 D2 2.0 with 10k, going on 8 months ago.

This was a 'damaged' vehicle for which I quite 'remarkablely' obtained a number of parts from a gentleman that happened to work at the garage that started a repair for the insurers.

The said insurers whom eventually had had enough.

It's a rather long story happy to post in another thread, I was thinking it would be nice to show the process of reassembling a complete front end. I have taken snaps throughout.

I am on the verge of buttoning it up now and I have a few niggles.

I have an airbag light that needs resetting. These were kindly 'removed' and 'inadvertently' retained being bought back on eBay

Having been driving it for about two months, the EML light has come on and having checked the code, it displays an EGR fault.

Since the very beginning, the stop/start has not functioned, on an odd occasion it kicks in but immediately restarts the engine.

Clutch pedal has begun to creak.

My question would be, is there anyone localish (50 miles) to me with expertise/equipment to reset the airbag light (my equipment is more geared to VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda)? Or any other support/guidance aside from the main dealer route.

The other issues, I assume these would be covered under warranty (a few months left!) as there is a track record of similar issues with other owners, I assume the aux battery has gone for the start/stop anyone had joy in warranty covering that? or have any advice on replacement?

I would really appreciate any help, many thanks.

And apologies for the mini essay, four birds for the chop with my first post!
2, you probably have an EGR cooler issue which you have a good chance of a free fix for as long as it is storing the particular code so best not clear the codes , or at least wait until the warning light comes back on . It is best just to leave the air bag and take it in as it is , it will get reset during the EGR repair .

3, There are many things which will keep the stop/start off , they should be listed in your centre screen under the relevant setting .. two of them are battery below 80% charged due to short journeys and also cold weather .. Give the battery a long long charge maybe 24 hours , but always clip the black earth lead of the charger on the vehicle chassis or engine block NOT the battery negative terminal . You will not have a problem with the second Support battery ..

4 , There is also a fix for the pedal creak , if under warranty not a problem ...
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:49   #3
V40R

Thanks that was quite helpful,

My next ask would be if anyone has any recommendations on one of the more helpful Volvo main dealers. I have never used them but have a few to choose from in Watford, North London or Bedford if anyone has a recommendation I would welcome it.

In terms of airbags, I was of the view they would only interrogate and reset the controller for the EGR if they deem it warranty worthy or is their system a complete wipe of errors no matter the controller after any work?

In terms of start stop, the condition listed is low battery/battery charging and has never changed having given it a full charge a few times now. One the dealer can look at I'm hoping, my concern is more should it be the battery would this be deemed wear and tear on a battery nearing three years.

I'm tempted to book a service at the same time but the £300 or so for oil and two filters and all the tick list checks does pain me. Is servicing within the Volvo network competitive?
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 21:32   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V40R View Post
Thanks that was quite helpful,

My next ask would be if anyone has any recommendations on one of the more helpful Volvo main dealers. I have never used them but have a few to choose from in Watford, North London or Bedford if anyone has a recommendation I would welcome it.

In terms of airbags, I was of the view they would only interrogate and reset the controller for the EGR if they deem it warranty worthy or is their system a complete wipe of errors no matter the controller after any work?

In terms of start stop, the condition listed is low battery/battery charging and has never changed having given it a full charge a few times now. One the dealer can look at I'm hoping, my concern is more should it be the battery would this be deemed wear and tear on a battery nearing three years.

I'm tempted to book a service at the same time but the £300 or so for oil and two filters and all the tick list checks does pain me. Is servicing within the Volvo network competitive?
Regarding the battery that is pretty easy , there is a built in battery test that can be carried out by the VIDA , the car stores a lot of battery data and with a discharge test and this it comes to a decision and gives a fail code , This will confirm it is faulty for the warranty dept .
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 22:56   #5
V40R

Some good news,

The EGR was replaced under warranty along with the cooler and associated pipework. This also included a software update. Coolant was replaced too which is one less thing to worry about.

With the clutch, I reported greasing it previously and on that basis the whole pedal assembly is now going to be replaced, sadly the parts were not held in the UK and it will have to go in again.

With the start stop, I was advised a loose terminal was found and the battery was charged in the workshop, however after one start stop cycle on the way home the system has again stopped working! I will raise again at my next visit for the clutch pedal replacement.

There was also some recall work carried out relating to a fuel pipe . The total warranty bill touching £1500 thank goodness!

The only disheartening element is that the airbag light has not been reset and it appears they have only updated software on the specific systems relevant to repairs. A shame when there are certainly updates for other systems.

If there is anyone within 50 miles that could help with resetting my airbag light I would be really appreciative or any other avenues that you think may help.

Many thanks again.