Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P155ed Off in a big way

Views : 1086

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:13   #1
MacXC60T5

Default P155ed Off in a big way

OK so I know we all get brassed off when we get done with speed cameras and want to blame all others. Just got done on a road A45 Coventry Ryton Bridge @ 56 mph in a 50. My fault as I thought it was still 60. My point, which I think is very valid, If the speed limit is 70 or 50 or 40 or 30 why can't these be the factual speed limits and not all this crap about % allowances. If you do 72 you get booked. If you drink and Drive there is a fixed limit if you exceed that limit you get convicted for drink and drive. Why not now do the same for speed limits and accept that the 10% rule does not exist. If you go over the limit you get done. Pigs may fly!!!!!
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:20   #2
I Feel Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacXC60T5 View Post
...and accept that the 10% rule does not exist.
What's stopping you accepting that? Who forced you to apply some arbitrary margin? Believing too much of what is written online?

Truth is I'd be pi55sed too if I was done for 56 in a 50, but I'd be pi55sed at myself.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:24   #3
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Actually, there IS an applied tolerance for police breath testing results: "Although the legal limit is 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, suspects with breath test readings between 36 & below 40 should be released with caution or without charge. This is because the standard prosecution limit is 40."... https://www.drinkdriving.org/police_...evidential.php
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:42   #4
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
If you drink and Drive there is a fixed limit if you exceed that limit you get convicted for drink and drive.
Yes... and no. The legal limit is 35ug per 100ml of breath. However, if you blow 40ug at the roadside there is no realistic prospect of you being convicted of drink driving - they know that by the time they get you back to the station and blow into the evidential machine (at least 30 minutes after the roadside check) you'll be below 35. So, although the legal limit is 35ug per 100ml the rule of thumb that police officers use is that they won't pull you into the station and book you unless you blow over 50 at the roadside so they know they've got a good chance of getting you over 35 on the evidential machine at the station.

Quote:
Why not now do the same for speed limits and accept that the 10% rule does not exist. If you go over the limit you get done. Pigs may fly!!!!!
Because there are too many accuracy issues involved. As a criminal conviction the police must prove that you were speeding beyond reasonable doubt. If they turn up to court and say that you were caught speeding doing 30.01 miles per hour in a 30 limit it doesn't take a genius to ask what the bounds of accuracy of their equipment are - 99%? Let's say so, which means that 30.01 miles per hour on their equipment could mean 29.71mph. That's under 30mph so then you weren't speeding.

There are too many possible inaccuracies in the system (the radar detector, the timing between photographs, the distance between the lines on the road, reference points on your vehicle, etc). Let's say each of these things is subject to a 2% error, then stacking up 4 2% errors means there's a potential error of 8.24%.

So, the police took a pragmatic approach with the 10% + 2 (which btw, is not a rule - it is the ACPO guideline). This gives a large enough margin that serves two purposes:

1) It doesn't unduly and unecessarily brutalise the general motoring population for making a mistake and slipping up to 31-32mph in a 30 limit.

2) It saves a HUGE amount of police time and resource in not going to court and battling cases of small margins that are not necessarily beyond reasonable doubt - by limiting prosecution to cases that are already well beyond reasonable doubt a lot of time and resource are saved.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 11:54   #5
MacXC60T5

Thanks for the comments. The information on Drink Driving is very new to me as I was not fully aware of the limit and use.
Regarding speeding, Have the rules for limits changed for the cameras on the motorway gantries. I am led to believe that 70 on the motorway in certain areas is 70 without any allowance. I could have got this wrong or it could just be fake news.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:20   #6
I Feel Old

Just don't be trying those alcohol limits north of the border.
I Feel Old is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I Feel Old For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:28   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Here in Switzerland the very many speed cameras will flash you when you go ove the limit + a tolerance value. Tolerance is 2kmph for laser based cameras and 5kmph for older cameras.
And ticket amounts are 40,100,300 Swiss Francs, in those increments.
Which is 31, 78, 234 GBP.
Add to that the tolerance in the car’s speedo, where it can be over by 8% and you can drive indicated 58 in a 50 zone before you get flashed.

So it pays to know the real speed of your car (not the speedo speed, but the real gps speed) and then set cruise control accordingly.

Tip:
The CFE shows real speed, and it lower that indicated speed.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 12:34   #8
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
I am led to believe that 70 on the motorway in certain areas is 70 without any allowance. I could have got this wrong or it could just be fake news.
Fake news. Speedos generally over read by 2 to 3 mph, I drive 30,000 miles a year for my job & stick to speed limits but set the cruise control 2 to 3 mph over the limit; that goes for average speed camera sections through motorways & past fixed speed cameras, not been done for speeding yet. To be done for 56 in a 50 you had a speedo indication of about 59. Unfortunate that you got done & you only have yourself to blame but I agree there should be nationwide consistency in the set limits for prosecution, but then it's the same in all aspects of law, lack of consistency

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phil1968 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 13:14   #9
BlueRebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Here in Switzerland the very many speed cameras will flash you when you go ove the limit + a tolerance value. Tolerance is 2kmph for laser based cameras and 5kmph for older cameras.
And ticket amounts are 40,100,300 Swiss Francs, in those increments.
Which is 31, 78, 234 GBP.
Add to that the tolerance in the car’s speedo, where it can be over by 8% and you can drive indicated 58 in a 50 zone before you get flashed.

So it pays to know the real speed of your car (not the speedo speed, but the real gps speed) and then set cruise control accordingly.

Tip:
The CFE shows real speed, and it lower that indicated speed.
What's CFE?
How to find out your real GPS speed?
BlueRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 14:04   #10
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRebel View Post
What's CFE?
How to find out your real GPS speed?
No idea about CFE but GPS speed is easy, use a garmin sat nav.

Because I changed the tyre size on my landrover from 70 to 85 aspect ratio I knew the speedo would not conform to its previous tolerances, connected sat nav and took a drive up the road, speedo has now has NO tolerances, 30 is 30 so I make sure I'm doing an indicated 28.
Volvo is 2 mph below indicated and van 4 mph below indicated.
All confirmed by 2 garmin sat nav.

Other sat nav may give GPS speed, I only have experiance of garmin.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post: