Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine ticking/rattling noise

Views : 12421

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2017, 22:28   #1
toniln74

Default Engine ticking/rattling noise

Hi there,
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
I’m facing an engine problem-constant ticking, rattling noise. I suspect hydraulic lifters/tappets.
I apologize if the same topic has already been covered but I’m not so familiar with this forum. I’ll look for this issue here as soon as I have time ….I also apologize if my English doesn’t sound natural.
I’ve had the car for almost 3 months now-Volvo XC90 2.4 D5 185hp 2008.
I ‘ve been to several workshops (recommended as the best ones by friends) incl. two Volvo dealers(one here in Greece and one in Bulgaria). The first Volvo dealer in Greece after one hour inspection incl. VIDA, road test etc. told me that it was more likely to be faulty fuel injectors. Solution:to have them repaired if possible or changing with new ones which would cost me an arm and a leg. The second Volvo dealer in Bulgaria told me that this was a normal D5 engine noise because of the age/milage(2008 first registr.,262000km) and of course I couldn’t believe them. Three more workshops visited and the same verdict-injectors. The fourth one suspected hydraulic lifters.
Anyway, I had to narrow down the noise so I went to a specialized workshop dealing only with injectors. As soon as they heard the noise I was told it couldn’t be the injectors, it was more likely to be a mechanical problem. But I insisted on removing all the injectors and have them checked, cleaned and serviced. So they did. As a result-all of them were fine, almost within the limits according to the charts(I can send the results if s.o. wants to see them). No need to repair or change any of them. That calmed me down and 150 Euro flew away from my pocket.
I’m about to buy new lifters with rocker arms in order to change them all…BUT today again I removed the engine cover and began listening to the injectors with a big screw driver and then with a stethoscope. I’ve discovered that the 5th injector is making a bit stronger ticking noise but it is just one idea above the sound that comes from the other injectors .I don’t think this is a big issue. When I open the throttles I can hear that distinctive metal sound like rattling so I’m leaning towards lifters.
On the other hand before I bought the car I had it hooked up to VIDA and the guy said the fuel pressure in the rail was 15% higher than normal. Then in a month time when I went to Volvo they said the pressure was ok. Is there a fuel pressure regulator that is playing a havoc with me?
Is it also possible that one or more valves make that knocking?
I am in despair: I don’t want to spend any extra money one something that might be good and there is no need to change as I did with the injectors. Now lifters and rockers. It might turn out to be something else…
I have uploaded two videos on YouTube and I accept and I would appreciate any pieces of advice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_XZ3yTOXEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsC2bZckLNA

The car is running just fine: the engine is smooth, fast acceleration, good mileage on the high way and in the city.
One more question: I’ve found different brands of lifters for my engine but they have different length e.g.
INA, RUVILLE, KOLBENSHMITD-34.5mm;
STARK-34.7mm
SWAG, FEBI BILSTEIN- 35mm
Which size is the right one? In the shops they say either.How come, it makes big difference?
Is it good if I put new Kolbenshmidt lifters with INA rockers or they have to be the same brand?
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Toni
toniln74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 19:28   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Check the vacuum circuit pipework ? In my experience a leak can seem to cause an increase the "rattling" noise from the oil filler cap on idle, it's been suggested that it could be the vacuum pump rattling due to no/low load. A leaking engine mount could cause this?

Something to check out anyway which could be a cheap/er fix.
Lancee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 21:12   #3
toniln74

Thank you Lancee for your response. I’ve already checked the two engine mounts by blocking the hoses they are connected to (as far as I know this is the way to check a faulty engine mount, please tell me if I’m wrong) and they both are fine, no mount leaking since the popping sound didn’t disappear. I’ll try to track down the vacuum leak as soon as I have time. Unfortunately/fortunately today I ordered new hydraulic lifters with followers simply because I was fed up with that noise and also I know it is risky to drive the car with bad lifters. Thank you one more time.Cheers.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 09:24   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Thanks for the update. Worth a try, although I would probably have tried a vacuum test on the circuit just to make sure there wasn't a leak elsewhere.
I hope your (unfortunately expensive?!) parts change cures the problem. Please keep me and other members informed as to the outcome. Thank you.
Old Jul 26th, 2017, 09:42   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

I have just watched your videos (should have done the first time around!). The second video with the oil filler cap being removed shows identical symptoms to the issue which I had. My rear engine mount was leaking and after replacement the engine was much quieter.
The vacuum circuit is also involved with the turbo and possibly other functions, my cars performance also appears to have improved slightly, I believe the vacuum controls the turbo vanes.

Sorry to do this to death but (and I might be wrong), again there could be a leak elsewhere? The labour cost for your proposed work can't be cheap? How much would a thorough vacuum test cost, or buy the tool and do it yourself ( a useful tool to have anyway).

Try kinking the rubber vacuum pipe to block the circuit where it leaves the vacuum pump (top RH rear of engine) with the engine running and the oil filler cap removed and check the sound.

As a footnote, I am not an expert, I am only speaking from personal experience as a layman.

As a further note my local Volvo main dealer checked out the noise (for a fee) and said there was no problem although I felt sure there was. I identified the problem myself through the above methods. My engine mount was absolutely shot with a big split in the rubber.

Last edited by Lancee; Jul 26th, 2017 at 09:45.
Old Jul 27th, 2017, 20:57   #6
Element888

Default Lifters

Lifters.
Stuck or own out. Even one stuck lifter can make lots of noise.
See my thread and solution here - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...=246575&page=4

I used FAI lifters, which where lot cheaper as local brand, but bit noisy, when car is warmed up.
INA are used as genuine on this engine, if you open up your engine, you will find them in there.
I've been told RUVILLE and KOLBENSHMITD are most quiet and more expensive.

Don't forget new injector seals and maybe clamps and bolts, when changing lifters.
Element888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2017, 23:09   #7
toniln74

Default Answer to Lancee question

Since Lancee asked me in PM if I had cured the engine rattle and I tried to reply him but unfortunately I wasn’t allowed to send PM(simply because I don’t have at least 30 posts).
Unfortunately I haven’t changed the lifters and the followers yet. I bought the parts three weeks ago. As soon as I change them I’ll let you know as well as others from the forum.
Regards,
Toni
The Following User Says Thank You to toniln74 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 00:15   #8
davebb
Premier Member

Hi are you changing all off them,
What was the best price you got them for
Thanks Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 08:43   #9
toniln74

Hi Dave,
Yes, I’m changing all of them.
Lifters KOLBENSHMITD-3x8pcs(they are sold 8 pcs in a small box) I paid 126 Euros total.
Followers INA,as far as I remember around 7 Eur per piece.
Valve cover gasket V.Reinz- 15 Eur.
Camshaft seal ring -15 Eur.
I’m still hesitating whether to buy or not new fuel lines.
Fuel injector washers- 1 Eur each
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 16:53   #10
davebb
Premier Member

Hi Thanks for the info.
let us know how you get on with it,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote