Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 rear wiper issues + solution

Views : 75343

Replies : 186

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 21st, 2010, 16:15   #11
searider

Secondhand unit and build one good one from two?
searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 02:58   #12
Chesterman

Default Rear Wiper Repair

Superb Post - Future reference material.

Had this problem on my previous (97) V70. After the garage fitting a new motor it failed again within 1 year. As I had by then moved to the other end of the country a return visit to "discuss" the issue was impractical. I left it unused for several months and then asked my new local garage for an opinion. They said new motor, (lots of £,) I said dont bother. For want of somthing better to play with, had a look for myself.

Disconnected linkage and motor tested OK! Evidence of a long term leak from washer fluid hose onto spindle. Disassembled, (with great difficulty,) and cleaned. A (bronze?) insert if I recall correctly. Reassembled and worked perfectly from then on.

Moral of this story - Do not assume it is the motor or that the garage are acting in your best interests ! ! ! ! But then you all know that already ! !
Chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 09:47   #13
searider

It's a shame that Volvo don't do a repair kit.

Audi do one consisting of the brass washer tube, jet, spindle assembly and all the O rings and some really good instructions on how to do the job. £35. A;though the dealer wasn't aware that they did a repair kit - I had to give him the part number!

Maybe Volvo do a repair kit that noone knows about?
searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2010, 12:56   #14
camerasforeyes

There is a repair kit.

You need Vadis then you can find the part number you need and order accordingly rather than buying the whole deal.

I am having a problem with my rear wiper at the moment. The wash works in the car but the wiper doesn't. On the test bench at 12V both the wiper and wash work.

I am confused. Fuses are ok, wondering if there is a problem with a relay?
camerasforeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 16:33   #15
R-P
Master Member

IIRC there's three wires running from a relay in the side of the trunk to the wiper.
I never looked into the working of the 'third wire'. I do have the schematics of the Volvo somewhere, but I cannot understand them properly (I am an EE, but they are seriously unreadable!).

My best guess would be that either the power is not getting to the wiper and/or the relay is causing this.

Cannot really help you beyond what you already figured out yourself...

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 12:25   #16
Axl

Default LOOM for rear wiper???

Hi,

I've got my Volvo in the dealers now and Im not particularly happy with them at the moment - Im having the top service done one my car and they've just rung me up with a whole host of things that I can do myself i.e replacing bulbs etc, however, I asked them to look at my rear wiper as it stopped working (I dont hear any faint clicking nose though) and the woman has just said that I need a new loom at over £200 and that would also get my tailgate light working - Im not worried about the tailgate light (Im assuming that this is the 'third' light - I HOPE its not my rear lights) but what alarmed me from her call is that when I asked her what was wrong with my current loom she actually admitted that they don't know and would have to take it all out and test it!!!! SO, it might not even be the loom and as she eventually mentioned with a bit of probing, it COULD be a loose screw????? I have no idea why Volvo would think its acceptable to advise me to buy a new loom without even suggesting a diognostic on the old one (if no visible faults) AND without checking the 'screw' to the rear wiper (I was advised by a man who works at the same volvo that it could be the screw needs tightening).

Maybe its me - Im not too clued up when it comes to cars so maybe Im over cautious about being ripped off???
Axl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 18:01   #17
lamlash

Sounds fairly typical. I think the "third light" would be your high level brake light which if I remember correctly isn't an MOT item (I stand by to be corrected!)

At around £90 per hour it is sometimes cheaper for the customer if the main dealer replaces parts rather than attempts to repair anything. I would get an independent auto electrician to check it out, or have a look yourself. I used to have a Peugeot estate which gave problems with the wiring loom between the roof headlining and the tailgate where the cables get frequently bent when the boot is opened and closed. it was fairly easy to find the broken section using a sharp multimeter probe and then cut it out and solder in a new bit of wire using expandable rubber sleeves to make a neat job of the insulation.
lamlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 21:40   #18
Chesterman

Axl,
You may be paranoid - the question is - are you paranoid enough?
Carry on questioning - unless you have remarkably deep pockets. Lots of info in threads on this forum regarding both rear wipers and broken wires at tailgate hinge, (use search facility,) with frequent success at no or little cost.
Chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2010, 19:24   #19
Liverpool

Default Cant remove wiper

Tedmonds: Sorry, didn't see your post sooner.

There is a description on how to remove the motor, but I didn't take pics on this. If I ever take it out, I will try to do so, but until then, this text along with seeing the bootlid in front of you (so you actually recognize what I am writing bout), should work quite well:

And obviously disconnect the powerwiring, the 'snap' that holds it in place can be 'unsnapped' from the bottom (it's at the underside, against the housing, you'll know what I mean with my crooked English when you have the item in your hand)

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]
I have tried this but unable to remove wiper after removing bolt - does it rquire brute force? does it unscrew?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM3219.jpg (196.5 KB, 48 views)
Liverpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 15:42   #20
R-P
Master Member

This should just slide off. You can use the arm to leverage a little, but be gentle as it is glass you're working on...

Also beware that my advice comes from fiddling with a right-side wiper, yours seems to be a left-side version.
I am assuming they are the same, but do not know this for a fact!

R-P is offline   Reply With Quote