Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S90 - intermittent rub/grind noise at front right?

Views : 1546

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2020, 19:36   #11
Jonathankime

Hi,
I have the D4 s90 and my car has makes the exact same noise when I turn left out of my street and again going over the roundabout a bit further down the road, then never again for the rest of the day.

I can only describe it as a rattly tensioner noise as it seems to occur when it's a cold morning not sure how the tensioner setup works on these.

I've had it in to the dealer at the 6 month check up but they said they couldn't find anything obvious and as they are the worst dealers I will just wait till it fails, but still curious what it could be in the meantime 😁.
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 16:35   #12
MattRS

Default Progress!

So,

The car has been with Volvo Shrewsbury for two days, and after various test drives they still couldn’t replicate the noise themselves. I had managed to pick up a better sound recording and so they went ahead with various checks based on that.

On the ramp, they eventually found two bolts on the anti roll bar that were way under torqued from the factory (he said ‘the two smaller ones’, if this helps to pin it down).

Also, they checked through various Volvo technical bulletins and have changed the driver’s side top engine mount as a precaution. Apparently a known S90/V90 issue that can cause clicking, tapping and other noises.

Time will tell if this has rectified it, but impressed that they put some thought into it. I also mentioned to the technician, Martin, that I’d had some gurgling on the aircon so they’ve re-gassed the system.

I did get a very nice S60 T5 Inscription out of it for two days also

1st service on 2nd March, asked what discount they could do on the ‘price indicator’ standard rate of £305. Offered me £263.50, happy with that!

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathankime View Post
Hi,
I have the D4 s90 and my car has makes the exact same noise when I turn left out of my street and again going over the roundabout a bit further down the road, then never again for the rest of the day.

I can only describe it as a rattly tensioner noise as it seems to occur when it's a cold morning not sure how the tensioner setup works on these.

I've had it in to the dealer at the 6 month check up but they said they couldn't find anything obvious and as they are the worst dealers I will just wait till it fails, but still curious what it could be in the meantime 😁.
MattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2020, 00:32   #13
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRS View Post
So,
The car has been with Volvo Shrewsbury for two days, .
Time will tell if this has rectified it, but impressed that they put some thought into it. I also mentioned to the technician, Martin, that I’d had some gurgling on the aircon so they’ve re-gassed the system.
Matt
I also use Volvo Shrewsbury and with my last two XC60's i always request that Martin does all the required PDI/service/warrantry work on my cars. He treats "your" car just like his "own" which is an excellent quality to have in today world and distinguishes poor v excellent dealerships......
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 10:21   #14
MattRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathankime View Post
....but still curious what it could be in the meantime 😁.
Looks like they sorted it - can’t reproduce the sound on any of the routes that used to cause it.

Happy again now
MattRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2020, 02:18   #15
davecarpio
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattRS View Post
Looks like they sorted it - can’t reproduce the sound on any of the routes that used to cause it.

Happy again now
As of now , has the noise come back?
davecarpio is offline   Reply With Quote