Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear wash wiper pipe routing

Views : 1289

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2020, 19:16   #1
colinstubbs

Default Rear wash wiper pipe routing

Does anyone know where the rear washer pipe routes after entering the front bulkhead in front of the driver???

I have pressure from the pump but nothing at the rear. The nozzle isnt blocked and there's nowt coming out of the pipe on its own. I also cant see any obvious damp points OR leaks so I'm stumped at where to start, I don't really want to rip out more interior than I need to in the crap weather we're having!!!

Looking online has been of no use at all, so any help would be great Cheers
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 21:22   #2
Volvoluke

Hi, I have a similar problem that I am yet to fix. I can tell you that my washer fluid ends up under the back seats. Maybe somewhere for you to start...
Volvoluke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvoluke For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 21:34   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Probably easier if the pair of you look at this thread and ask questions if the answers aren't already there :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302282

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2020, 21:58   #4
colinstubbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Probably easier if the pair of you look at this thread and ask questions if the answers aren't already there :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302282
Cheers mate - reading through that it would appear its all down the lower right hand side, splendid stuff.
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 12:48   #5
TonyS9
Premier Member

I thought it went up along the roof from the A-pillar, but I would definately check it at the 1-way valve near the rear light cluster (remove the tool box panel).
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 15:16   #6
colinstubbs

Well starting at the correct side will be cool and it should be more obvious from there!
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 15:42   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I've just found the problem with mine, Volvo in their infite wisdome fited an NRV on both the front and rear washer lines close to the pumps on mine. I'd already replaced one a couple of years back (for the rear) as that wasn't flowing so didn't suspect that one was now the cause of that not working properly.

However, because the screenwash i added a few months back turned to something snotty and blocked a few things, it turned out it had turned that new NRV to snot inside as well. Drilled it out and refitted, rear wash action restored!

The fronts had gone weak too, I replaced the T-valve on the underside of the bonnet a couple of years back as the old one was leaking so again, didn't suspect that.
Before i tried in though, i checked the NRV originally fitted by Volvo near the pump. Had to give that the same treatment as the aftermarket one and then got a slight improvement. Had a normal T-piece for a vacuum take-off i added and no longer use so swapped that with the T-valve. Suddenly my screen wash was way better than it ever has been, even when i first fitted the fan-mist jets (from an S/V40, straight fit and vast improvement on the screen wash!) they now squirt higher and harder onto the screen.

Refilled the washer reservoir (again!) and hopefully that's me sorted for a good while!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 17:02   #8
Ian21401
Premier Member

The screen wash that I was using when I acquired my 940 in 2005 went snotty and blocked the inline filter which was impossible to clean. I cleaned the reservoir and pipework and renewed the filter and changed the screen wash additive to Halfords concentrate. (Dilute to your requirements). Since then had no further blockage problems.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2020, 18:02   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
The screen wash that I was using when I acquired my 940 in 2005 went snotty and blocked the inline filter which was impossible to clean. I cleaned the reservoir and pipework and renewed the filter and changed the screen wash additive to Halfords concentrate. (Dilute to your requirements). Since then had no further blockage problems.
I was (and had been) using Wilko own brand screenwash additive that was originally a concentrate. I noticed on the bottle of it that went snotty that is is now "Ready to use" - in other words, no dilution necessary.

I'm not sure when they changed it and haven't had a previous problem but the fact they have changed it leads me to believe it was some sort of incompatibility of the new and old type fluids. Right or wrong i have no idea.

The washers started deteriorating in their performance over summer (that's when the snotty stuff appeared) so i flushed it through with clean water for a couple of reservoirs full then added a pint of white vinegar and clean water and this seemed to sort things. It was only when i added another dose of the Wilko stuff (after using only clean water in between) that the snot came back.

More clean water through the reservoir (3 refills) then i added some Flash - not the ideal thing but gives a nice, smear-free finish.

At the moment, it has the remains of the Flash and more clean water, the only thing not working exactly as they should are the headlamp washers so i might have to investigate those too, ensure the pump is running (i retro fitted an additional pump on mine) and go from there.

From now until the weather warms up and i can go back to using a proprietary additive screenwash, i'm going to stick with what is working and see how things go.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 22nd, 2020, 00:28   #10
colinstubbs

I've only used Decosol Excel for years in both my cars