Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trolley Jack Pad for V90 CC 2018

Views : 1196

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2020, 10:43   #1
crashbarrier

Default Trolley Jack Pad for V90 CC 2018

Onto my next search. Has anyone been able to locate a suitable trolley jack pad for a 2018 V90 CC?
The car has jacking points that consist of a flat section with a round hole into which the supplied jack locates. I loathe using scissor jacks as they are both potentially dangerous and slow, and I always use a trolley jack where I can. I did not enjoy the experience yesterday when I whipped off the rear wheels to quickly fit mud flaps.

For those unsure of what I mean, it will be a thick, hard, rubber circular pad that fits into the cup of the trolley jack and both locates securely and cushions the force applied by the jack. They are car specific but all the ones offered by the internet, that I can find, are grooved ones (to protect a seam weld) where you are clearly being asked to jack elsewhere other than the recommended points. That I will not be doing even though I know that both the dealer and tyre companies will be fairly random in how they lift a car.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:01   #2
deepsix

Look for ice hockey pucks on ebay and adapt one of them maybe? I have used them on various cars either as standard or with slots cut in and tapered to fit cup in jack head.

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deepsix For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:43   #3
crashbarrier

Thanks, deepsix. That's a good idea; I'll order one and sharpen my knife ready to whittle it into shape.
I've got one for my BMW which is circular but the top section is just the right shape to fit into the rectangular jacking point locator.

Last edited by crashbarrier; Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:45.
crashbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:30   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
Onto my next search. Has anyone been able to locate a suitable trolley jack pad for a 2018 V90 CC?
The car has jacking points that consist of a flat section with a round hole into which the supplied jack locates. I loathe using scissor jacks as they are both potentially dangerous and slow, and I always use a trolley jack where I can. I did not enjoy the experience yesterday when I whipped off the rear wheels to quickly fit mud flaps.

For those unsure of what I mean, it will be a thick, hard, rubber circular pad that fits into the cup of the trolley jack and both locates securely and cushions the force applied by the jack. They are car specific but all the ones offered by the internet, that I can find, are grooved ones (to protect a seam weld) where you are clearly being asked to jack elsewhere other than the recommended points. That I will not be doing even though I know that both the dealer and tyre companies will be fairly random in how they lift a car.

there are plastic pads on the underside of the sill for this purpose , have a look .. :-)
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 12:42   #5
RS3100

Search for the seller cav.mar1 on eBay. She sells a variety of specially shaped jacking pads made from hockey pucks. I use a variety of them on my vehicles and have found them well made and robust. If she doesn't actually stock exactly what you require I would imagine that if you gave her the measurements she would be happy to help.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 14:40   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Something like this maybe.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Jack-R...edirect=mobile
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 18:04   #7
crashbarrier

I had spotted the plastic cover over the rear jack points but I have an inbuilt reluctance to mark or score anything, even something designed for that purpose and out of sight.

Those Tesla pads look just the job but I would prefer to buy from a proper UK seller like cav.mar1. I've asked a question about the size of the centre post. I'm tired of ordering 'UK based' ebay stock and finding out that it actually comes from China (I know that it was going be from there anyway) which is why it seems to take so long to get delivered.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 18:13   #8
crashbarrier

OK, next jacking question................I can clearly see the rear jacking points which have the hole in and a plastic cover but the front points defeat me. I've just taken a look and can't see anything obvious apart from lower suspension members and a dubious hole in a bodywork panel.
Does that hole mark the jack point?
It doesn't look right and without looking again I think the Volvo jack would end up being at an odd angle.