Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

185bhp, how easy do your tyres spin?

Views : 756

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 27th, 2020, 01:32   #1
Bashy
Aged Member

Default 185bhp, how easy do your tyres spin?

Hi folks, as the title says, in your 185bhp how easy do your tyres spin?
I have the Dunlop SP Winter Sports 3D on the fronts with about 6mm tread left, I find the spin far too easily and that's in the dry, granted, they are a winter tyre, they are a rating of C for rain, so not overly poop and deffo withstood some standing water on the A11 the other day. But, just a little heavy footed at a junction and she loses grip, I ain't talking about stamping down, just a bit heavier than a standard manoeuvre...

So, please, if you have a 185 and use winter tyres and can be a little heavy footed when pulling out (oo'er Mrs ) please list tyre and spin or no spin please?

I don't want any gentle manoueuverages added as we know it wouldn't spin for ya normal run of the mill driving unless on slicks, even then...... I am looking for a little hurried, something that would be comfortable doing if there was a cop car sat next to you had you no intension to spin them but needing a little hustle nonetheless, thanks..

PS, yes, I did have that happen to me but in the Laguna, the feds weren't phased though, thankfully, poss noticed it wasn't intentional lol or didn't notice, prob the former and for gods sake, I'm gonna shut up now.....
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 10:04   #2
taiwan740

I have a 163hp Manual and the tyres spin pretty easily (with DSTC enabled) - its nothing to do with the horsepower but the torque and when it hits. If you are a bit eager with the clutch at 2,000rpm then it will lose grip. That's with Michelin Pilot Sport tyres , 245/40/R18.

Also depends on road surface, I had a Ford Focus (1.6 Duratec that I bought after surgery, so I wasn't pushing it) some time ago that had Michelins on the front, but the previous owner had put a cheap Achilles or something on the rear left. If the road surface was anything other than black tarmac it would do a full 360 at the slightest whiff of the steering wheel.

Anyway, winter tyres get quite sloppy with a few mm of wear on them if the temperatures are higher than 20 degrees C.

Hope that helps
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 12:17   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

On my MY2009 185hp tuned D5 diesel, its not easy to break traction.
Only sometimes if I turn a tight corner and then accelerate quickly will the inside wheel loose traction briefly.

The traction control kicks in an puts the traction on the rear wheels.

Of course, snow is different, and then I can happily get the traction control lamp flashing when I plant my right foot. But I only do that on big empty car parks.

If your front wheels are loosing traction easily and the rear wheels are not kicking in to help with traction, then suspect a failed AWD normally due to destroyed splines in the angle box. Test by seeing if you can spin the driveshaft to the rear diff when the car is off. If it turns then your angle box splines are damaged. Watch out for the hot exhaust pipe!
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 13:12   #4
John97Tdi
Master Member

Hi,
Nokian weatherproof on an 06 XC70 with the 185bhp D5 and all I get in wet/slippery conditions is a slight 'kick in the backside' as the RWD is engaged with no real sensation of front wheelspin. Depending on all the factors which determine the best choice of tyre for a particular vehicle/driver/location/weather condition, with a 2WD 185bhp V70, unless you go down the route of two sets of tyres for winter/summer you really need the best all season tyre you can afford and some of the current models have a much better wet weather rating than the dunlop winter sports.
John97Tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John97Tdi For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 03:05   #5
Bashy
Aged Member

Thanks for the replies,

I should have mentioned that its a two wheeled drive and manual, although, my signature does say this, ish...

I am really more concerned that it could hinder a non-hesitant pull off, ie, there's time, I can make it but only just.... having a wheel spin could mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

I am also talking about it being dry and standard run of the mill tarmac.

If its wet, that's a whole new ball game, with a heavy foot, she will spin from 1st through til 3rd unless I back off some.

Also, there is no difference between budget all season tyres and these Dunlops, perhaps that's not quite true, I can hear the difference and tell that they are new buy the sound, there's better grip but you wouldn't think so.

I only use winter tyres, would never go the All season for winter time, purely for the fact that I saw a video once comparing winter with all season on snow
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 08:22   #6
AndyV7o
Premier Member

As said, they have a lot of torque, plus, I've found that the suspension and steering behave/work a bit odd on the p2 which encourages the tyres to break traction.
The wintersport 3d are a bit greasy though, I had issues with them in this respect on a 105bhp scenic.
Better are vredestein quatrac and crossclimate, though not dedicated winters but sufficient for uk winter conditions.
All winters struggle in laying the power down though as you say, its inherent due to the elasticity of the tread. The dunlop ws3d are a very old tyre now though, and weren't the best in their day in certain aspects.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 17:13   #7
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

I had chinese winter tyres on the T5 - ****.

Go back to normal tyres
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 01:08   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Thanks for the replies,

I should have mentioned that its a two wheeled drive and manual, although, my signature does say this, ish...

I am really more concerned that it could hinder a non-hesitant pull off, ie, there's time, I can make it but only just.... having a wheel spin could mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

I am also talking about it being dry and standard run of the mill tarmac.

If its wet, that's a whole new ball game, with a heavy foot, she will spin from 1st through til 3rd unless I back off some.

Also, there is no difference between budget all season tyres and these Dunlops, perhaps that's not quite true, I can hear the difference and tell that they are new buy the sound, there's better grip but you wouldn't think so.

I only use winter tyres, would never go the All season for winter time, purely for the fact that I saw a video once comparing winter with all season on snow
Your using winter tyres when it isn't winter! I don't see the point. You'll have less grip because the winter ones are designed to give you more grip in cold conditions (Ice & snow for example). The conditions aren't cold (yet), so your existing tyres are struggling because they're being used in conditions they aren't suited for (yet).

So you don't like to use all season tyres in the winter. Why not get two decent all season or summer tyres to put on the front for the warmer months only & keep your existing winter ones you've got for the winter?

It sounds like the winter tyres you have are probably good in their own right (in the winter). You have to have your wits about you though because that spinning your experiencing isn't what you want at a busy roundabout. That in itself would make me change them... I wouldn't keep chancing it.

Keep the winters for winter. Get yourself two tyres to use in the other months.

Last edited by Kev0607; Sep 29th, 2020 at 01:13.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 03:07   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

The last pair of all seasons (dont remember the make) that I've just binned span a bit more than these 3D's. I adjusted my driving to suit, nothing hair raising in the wet for sure. The main downside is backing off the power if they do spin cause trying to build that back up again is time costly, I will keep my eyes open for some CC's, they were what I was after in the 1st place but these looked ok, having said that, I am sure I had a set on one of my Lagunas, the tread pattern is very similar and they were greasy then too.

The point of using them now is, preparedness, I don't like to wait until there colder nights or there is snow on the ground to prompt me to put them on, not to mention that a decent snow fell in October a few years back now, but it happened, BRB.......... damn, it was before I started measuring snow fall on my weather station software, but I think it was back in 2008 perhaps and about 4" settled, just done a google and I was right, end of October 2008, it was quite widespread and whilst it settled well, it didn't last more than that night, for me in Desborough anyway, there were some cold nights though with many a frosty morn, so its not out of the realms of possibilities
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 08:25   #10
AndyV7o
Premier Member

So have you only just refitted them? They do take an age to bed back in and as such behave in a vile manner to begin with...

In reference to 'I saw a video on all seasons and how they behave' I think I know the vid and it isnt representative of real world conditions or todays all season which are a very different breed to 10 years ago. Also, I think that vid, as a lot do, was referring to american 'all season' which are basically like the summer tyres we used to have in the 90's, summer compound with a few sipes, rather like some 4x4 all terrain tyres, they are nothing of the sort the rest of the world have.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote