Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

340 running costs

Views : 5977

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2010, 15:17   #11
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

thank you for that info chris although the car we are going to be taking care of is low mileage it will of course need general maintainance etc .so it is good to know that some part's are available once again thank you.

lynda & ron.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 16:07   #12
Ash240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Harding View Post
340's are excellent, economical (for what they are) and sensible.

Servicing is a joy. especially the 1.4, loads of room in the engine bay. Ours runs on LPG, an easy conversion that pays itself off in about 10 months normal driving. Added benefits are that the oil simply doesn't get fouled. You drain out almost clear oil after about 10,000 miles.

But be warned, spares are dwindling. You might just find that your pride and joy is laid low indefinitely with something silly like a burst radiator hose.

We have built up a stock of ebay items which have proved useful. (Brake discs, radiator [now used], alternators etc.)

Second warning. Not everybody selling things on ebay is clued up or scrupulous. (Shock, horror!) A 340 starter motor might not work when you come to use it. Chances are by this time, it's too late to send it back.

Third warning. Rust. It is subject to tinworm around the rear wheel arches. Don't miss directing a jet of clean water right up under the arches to flush out the accumulated soil and salt that will have your car for breakfast. Keep it clean and it will last.

I would steer clear of the auto. we had one for a short while, but try shimming the gearbox, or even changing the belts. Lots of mangled knuckles!

All round, if the spares were more easy to get, I would say go for a 340 for a beautiful runaround car. As it is, be prepared to have it laid up for days on end whilst you trawl the internet.
Thankyou for the advice, I would try and find a complete car for spares. I know of 1 or 2 laid up around here that would be suitable donor cars.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 22:52   #13
Wilbo8711

Default running costs

i have a 1.4 340 standard petrol and it returns about 400miles to a tank! and i have a 1.7 standard renault 5 which returns 200miles to a tank! i previously had a renault 5 1.4 which got me to paris and back from taunton in somerest on two and a half tanks! :-D

Wilbo
Wilbo8711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 00:14   #14
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

400 to a tank?! It only takes £30 of fuel! I'm trying to remember what my 5 speed did on a motorway run at 70mph...but I think it was around 300 to a tank, which I calculated at the time to be ~50mpg.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 00:21   #15
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

The best I ever had out of my 1.4 4spd was 38mpg and that was by sitting at 60 mph on the motorway. Having said that it always returned over 30mpg in town driving whereas the 2.0 GLS I had would dip to mid 20's in town and struggle to beat 33mpg on a run.

The later (B200 carb engined) 360's could get upper 40's if treated with kid gloves, and the 1.7's can get close too as long as the carb is in good order. 1.4's with the 5spd 'box are fairly close, but I'd say 30mpg in town and 42ish on a steady run - expect low to mid 30's in everyday use and you'd be about right.
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 15:29   #16
lyron
Premier Member

Talking

thank's for the info chris to be honest i don't realy bother with mpg. i would like to know what spare's is it advisable to keep in stock , dizzy carb point's etc, any advice greatfully received,also what spare's are now difficult to obtain. because the one we are getting is a keeper, it will be kept in the family for a very long time so would be usefull to know,still waiting for delivery but poor old pete is up to his neck in work so it may be a while yet but it will be well worth the wait.
lynda & ron.
lyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 22:28   #17
mchudd

Default 340

Hi Lyron.
If your car is post 1985, you will not need points.
All other service items are just oil and filters.
Brake pads and shoes are still available.
Cheers Mark.
mchudd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mchudd For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 04:18   #18
macplaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
autos avoid ! i bet there arent ANY still around that work properly now ...
There are some around that still work. Some of us know how to fix and maintain them
macplaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to macplaxton For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 19:13   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macplaxton View Post
There are some around that still work. Some of us know how to fix and maintain them
There must be very few of us left now :-)
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 23:58   #20
Wilbo8711

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoyOfSix View Post
The best I ever had out of my 1.4 4spd was 38mpg and that was by sitting at 60 mph on the motorway. Having said that it always returned over 30mpg in town driving whereas the 2.0 GLS I had would dip to mid 20's in town and struggle to beat 33mpg on a run.

The later (B200 carb engined) 360's could get upper 40's if treated with kid gloves, and the 1.7's can get close too as long as the carb is in good order. 1.4's with the 5spd 'box are fairly close, but I'd say 30mpg in town and 42ish on a steady run - expect low to mid 30's in everyday use and you'd be about right.
Ha, i rounded it up to 400, i think i managed 380 but i thought i could get more out of it. having said that, i have found my speedo is slightly optimistic according to a satnav. i have the correct diameter wheels on so maybe the speedo isnt't calibrated well enough? anyways, if the speedo was reading higher, it would mean my odometer would be climbing quicker and so more miles per tank than actually possible? i seriously doubt my volvo would do 50mpg but i can dream! i shall give a proper reading when the car's empty. i do a lot of motorway miles and drive quite carefully (two speeding fines sort to this) i'm just happy to have a efficient decent sized car! for the last year i've had a car that, no joke, you could watch the needle drop! :-O
Wilbo8711 is offline   Reply With Quote