Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My 360 GLT project car

Views : 4255

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 30th, 2003, 14:03   #21
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Default RE: My 360 GLT project car

Here's a few thoughts...

2) Bear in mind the limits of the transmission. Dave S quotes 250bhp as a guide limit, but of course its torque that's the killer, hence how Kev S can get away with having more grunt, as he only does rolling starts (and it's supposed to be 1st and 2nd that are weak anyway).

3) Sooooo....and LSD might not be the best idea, as Mark H pointed out a while back - better to let a wheel spin out than break your transmission.

4) Don't bother with forged pistons - the factory ones are good for big things (so I've heard). You want more or less as big an exhaust as you can get, as the turbo provides any backpressure you'll need.

5) Mark H is running VW Corrado G60 brakes on his, and I would imagine its scary! That's 280mm vented, slotted & drilled front disks, with slotted and drilled rear disks.

6) If you wanna replace the ECU, I'd get a Megasquirt - I think I've heard a figure of circa £200 notes floating around. You'll need it if you're turboing anyway. I'm not sure the stock ECU is the kind you can get 'superchips' for anyway, as its injection control (fuelling, etc) and not engine management, but I'm willing to be corrected on this.

I'm not sure how those alloys would look on a 360 (I'd have pictured them on some big 'bling' GMC van), but I'm more than willing to be proved wrong! There is a factory bodykit for the 300 - if anyone finds one in a scrappers, it'd be a major bargain.

Are you based in the UK, Lonewolf?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 19:16   #22
360s

ok someone emailed me from holland the other day after looking at my website http://www.higgins340.fsnet.co.uk/ and sent me this link, its a twin turbo 360 http://www.o2sense.com/o2car/res1.htm
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 19:50   #23
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Does anyone know what it says, or have any specs? Pictures are fun though :)

It's fairly common to put twin turbos on Skylines, etc, running huge boost. Using two turbos means each can be smaller, providing less of a 'lag, then KICK' for a given total boost, which in turn reduces stressing of the crank & rods when the boost hits.

Having said that, twin turbos are generally wasted on four cylinder cars, as you can't effectively use one turbo big enough to give trouble. I'd be interested to find out why they bothered.....maybe each one isn't that big, giving more of a 'LPT' effect?

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 06:39   #24
Lonewolf

No, i'm an aussie.

I think i will do the b230ft engine, and either keep the spare turbo for something else, I got a spare transmission to work on anyway when the original dropped out they gave me a 4 spd when i asked for 5 spd, so i got 2 for price of 1, recently started to strip the 4spd down to get the parts all lightened up/balanced. Thats the idea behind my tuning anyway, to lighten and strengthen ALL the parts, then when they are all ready, gradually introduce them.
Old Jan 2nd, 2004, 13:55   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'd try to find a B230ET (ie: non-catylitic convertor), as its gives you more BHP :)

Take a look at www.turbobricks.com as there is a guide to the various versions of this engine somewhere there. A B23ET (from a 240 / early 740) has a stronger bottom end (forged on the 240?) and thicker con-rods, as well as a garett T3 on the early 740 at least. An early B230ET has weedy (9mm?) con-rods and is not much good for big-bhp, but later ones (88-on?) are much tougher (13mm?)...the trick is to find one of the last B230ET's....just before they became the FT.

Sadly my project is off on insurance cost grounds...for now...(although I might save up!)

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 13:16   #26
Lonewolf

Hey, Found a few volvo's for sale

244DL $200 (with 2.4L engine, doesnt have engine type)
245GL $1000 (As above)
360GLT $1650 (this makin me frustrated, i paid $5k for mine)
740 Turbo $2500 (B23FT)

Whats the 2.4L engine called, and can i cram it under the bonnet, cause damn thats cheap, but i dont wanna buy it to find out it wont fit, i've e-mailed the guy for more info, but i learned to not take their word as the honest truth (ie. go do some research)

Been thinking about what i might do with the engine, seeming it wont take my daily driver off the road while this is occuring, at least till it comes time to drop the beast in.

Completely recast all the engine parts with Aluminum
Increase displacement (but dont know about any limits to boring)
Porting/Polishing
Balancing

Kevin Strong, Nice job on ur 360, though you say you replaced all ur windows with 6mm perspex, and the picture has tinted windows.. i didnt think it tinted properly, or is it pretinted stuff?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 13:37   #27
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

They never did a 2.4 petrol engine for the 240 as standard (as far as I know), so he's either feeding you BS, or its a custom job. I saw a 2.2 360 for sale a while back - guessed it was a bored out B200 or B21. Either way, it's not gonna make night and day difference.

Actually...was there a 240 diesel, and if so what was the size....2.4 does seem to ring a bell...?

I've heard of B230's being bored out to the 2.5-2.6 region, but how sucessful this is I don't know.

Not sure of the exchange rate, but $2500 seems like a lot for a B23FT, which would be an early 740TIC. Having said that, if it *is* a B23, it's the stronger of the engines.

My opinion is that a standard B230ET would be totally mental for road use in a 360, especially if the boost were pushed a little closer to the limits of the computer mapping. Obviously you can take it as far as you want with all the custom work, but 200BHP in a 360 is about as far as I'd want to take it as a daily drive (and not spending big bucks on sorting everything else!). Bearing in mind this is still gonna be well into scooby doo / mitsubishi evo territory (or if we're talking contemporaries, sierra cosworth, etc).

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 05:54   #28
Lonewolf

I wasnt sure, so was gonna ask you guys before giving this guy a bell, see exactly what he's sellin. Hey, it was $200 bucks, it got my attention. Hope it hasnt been bored out, cause if so i doubt it'll make 2.5L maybe 2.6L

The other $2500 one converted to american currency would be roughly $1900

Edit: My drivers door is chuckin a fit against me, the exterior handle broke, and no wrecker has a spare, ended up fixing it, now some small bar got lodged in the lower hinge, only opened 1/3 of normal, and part of our handle repair job jammed the handle, which is now filed off... just venting my frustration as it took an hour to rehook one of the links, then work out why the door would still open when locked, as this same link had given us the slip after we had screwed and hooked everything back up again... If it wasnt happening to me, i'd probably be laughing at the misfortune
Old Jan 7th, 2004, 13:06   #29
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

You could always try reading the engine spec plate -

The handles are a crap design....it happens....I've built up a stockpile, simple as that!

That 740 converts to roughly £1000 sterling....that's a lot....it'd better be mint! Either that, or are 740 TIC's rare in OZ?

I'm heading over to turbobricks when I get round to it...got brutally wasted by a Citroen Saxo the other night, so it's time to get my baby running faster!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Jan 8th, 2004, 11:53   #30
Lonewolf

Volvos are fairly rare down in oz, where i live there is 1 740, a few 200 series (maybe 4-6), i had the only 360 GLT, and that is the volvo community at my town, though there are now another 3 360's in town, driven by the elder community.
When the exhaust recycling valve thingy died i was gonna get replacement piping, so i went to the local volvo dealer/parts supplier and asked about the pipe, It was the first and last time i ever dealt with them, when i said "360 GLT" i got a funny look, before being told that there was no listing on the car, so yeah, they're pretty rare down here.

Been busy making a shopping list since i saw the ad, It's amazing the amount of info there is on car mods when you go looking for them, and i worked out how water injection works (^_^). I dont want to waste any $$$ on trikkin up this engine as i am gonna save it for a better one worth working on, so have limited myself to upgrades to non intake-engine-exhaust areas, unless i could do such things on my own easily for little/no cost. That said i did my first car mod.

You know the small air box in front of the air filter, that directs hot air from engine bay as well as normal air, well, i made it stick to open, cause the car is an oven. 9am-7pm anyway from the heat wave we're starting to get, It must have been stuck on hot air or dead thermostat or something, cause there was a noted improvement straight away when i took it for a run afterwards, and car was running ever so slightly cooler.