Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Diesel Engine Cleaner Additive

Views : 3257

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 10:50   #1
jaygee
Avid Member

Default Diesel Engine Cleaner Additive

Hi Ladies (are there actually any active lady members?) and Gents,

What is everyone's opinion on Diesel Engine Cleaner Additives?

Are they a load of bull poo? If they are why? If not, why not and which one do you use?

I'm looking to have a look at cleaning the throttle body, thanks to the great guide by craigblues! http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=157241

but also wanted to see what people thought of the Additives.

Thanks to all who reply.

Last edited by jaygee; Jul 12th, 2012 at 11:23.
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 17:10   #2
Ninja59
Probably Akita's Toyboy..

well i know volvo disapprove of their use, and in fairness i think some of it is a pile of snake oil.

Although on the 2.0D i have seen MPG improve using V power diesel.
Ninja59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 17:16   #3
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja59 View Post
well i know volvo disapprove of their use, and in fairness i think some of it is a pile of snake oil.

Although on the 2.0D i have seen MPG improve using V power diesel.
Enough to warrant using V power diesel in the first place?
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 18:24   #4
Ninja59

2 MPG difference over fuelsave everytime...brings the cost down, better response, less smoke from the exhaust, do not visit the fuel station as much either for about 2.50 - 3.50 everytime more.

i get about 49/50 mpg on v power, about 47/48 fuel save, about 44/45 on crummy supermarket.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 18:47   #5
Daim
Brit in Germany

Volvo also strictly advises NOT to use that stuff, as it can do some nasty damage!

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 08:53   #6
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
2 MPG difference over fuelsave everytime...brings the cost down, better response, less smoke from the exhaust, do not visit the fuel station as much either for about 2.50 - 3.50 everytime more.

i get about 49/50 mpg on v power, about 47/48 fuel save, about 44/45 on crummy supermarket.
I think I am going to have to carry out a study........watch this space.

Think I need to clean the EGR and throttle body first though!
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 11:37   #7
EricMe
V50 Driver

Quote:
I get about 49/50 mpg on v power, about 47/48 fuel save, about 44/45 on crummy supermarket.
Just done a survey of local fuel prices (using this site )

Supermarket Diesel is available at 134ppl (132ppl if I go out of my way to find it). Vpower is 145ppl from my nearest outlet, 143ppl if I happen to find myself in a nearby town or 141ppl if I go out of my way to find it). And of course Supermarkets regularly offer a 5ppl (or better) discount for shopping there; don't think Shell ever do that.

I'd want to guarantee at least a 7% improvement in fuel consumption before considering V power and would prefer to see 11% (to allow for the discount offers).

Ninja59's figures are suggesting something in the order of 10% might be obtainable - but of course I have no idea how his useage pattern compares with mine.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 17:39   #8
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe View Post

Supermarket Diesel is available at 134ppl (132ppl if I go out of my way to find it). Vpower is 145ppl from my nearest outlet, 143ppl if I happen to find myself in a nearby town or 141ppl if I go out of my way to find it). And of course Supermarkets regularly offer a 5ppl (or better) discount for shopping there; don't think Shell ever do that.

I'd want to guarantee at least a 7% improvement in fuel consumption before considering V power and would prefer to see 11% (to allow for the discount offers).

Ninja59's figures are suggesting something in the order of 10% might be obtainable - but of course I have no idea how his useage pattern compares with mine.
I would never run mine on SM fuel not that i am snob by any means, but it just really does not have the same go or emissions when i run on SM fuel.

i tend to drive it what i consider reasonable you know about 70-75 mway duals and on lanes with about 60mph on average rarely in town.
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 22:39   #9
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMe

Quote:
I would never run mine on SM fuel not that i am snob by any means, but it just really does not have the same go or emissions when i run on SM fuel.

i tend to drive it what i consider reasonable you know about 70-75 mway duals and on lanes with about 60mph on average rarely in town.
I completly agree with Ninja, I wouldn't use anything else (if possible) other than Shell V-Power. I've had so much success with V-Power in both my old diesel and now my petrol V50 (see post #9 LINKY!) which I can confirm with Diesel V-Power anyway that I used to get a 10% increase on a long run with V-Power over SM fuel. I then done an Eco Run in my V50 T5 on Shell V-Power and managed 500miles (which is good for a T5 - LINKY!).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2012, 22:47   #10
Ninja59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygee View Post
I think I am going to have to carry out a study........watch this space.

Think I need to clean the EGR and throttle body first though!
if you plan this then i urge brim to brim tanks of v power for at least 2 runs.

We have recently even put some vpower in the D2 which i drove today (1st time ever out on the highway in it as we have to go to east anglia and dad wanted me insured on his ha!) to pick mine up from refurb and it has increased its MPG 1/2 tank left now in her. on average she would be doing about 250-260 to 1/2 tank, 1/2 tank on 1st vpower 308 miles in total like this means 600 odd miles to a tank!

Last edited by Ninja59; Jul 13th, 2012 at 23:14.