Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20mph zones kill more people than 30mph

Views : 827

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 18th, 2017, 09:37   #1
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

Default 20mph zones kill more people than 30mph

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-came-in.html

It must be true, its in the wail.
Seems that pedestrians aren't using the green cross code. I blame Charles Darwin, none of this would have happened if he hadn't invented natural selection.
Enschallah
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 09:56   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoid View Post
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-came-in.html

It must be true, its in the wail.
Seems that pedestrians aren't using the green cross code. I blame Charles Darwin, none of this would have happened if he hadn't invented natural selection.
Enschallah
It was also featured on Radio 4's 'Today' programme earlier this morning, 'volvoid'. They said much the same thing; pedestrians and cyclists are apparently taking less care in 20 MPH zones because - paradoxically - they feel safer! Funny old world, isn't it?

Regards, John.
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 12:15   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

So going faster saves lives! Will have to remember that one the next time the old bill pull me over!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 13:17   #4
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There's a danger of conflating two different issues: the consequences of a collision vs. the chances of it happening. There's no doubt that a collision at 20 mph with car and pedestrian/cyclist is considerably less likely to result in death or serious injury than at 30 mph. However if there are more pedestrians/cyclists getting in the path of a vehicle (even at 20 mph), then clearly the risk of an event happening is much higher & therefore it is no surprise if more people get injured.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 14:10   #5
derek vivian

Default Speed limits etc

Far better in my view to rack up the 'on the spot' fines for exceeding the speed limit wherever it is. A minimum fine of at least £1,000 should make drivers pay more attention to their speed at all times. I find I am looking, or glancing, at my easy to see speedometer in my 1997 V90 every few seconds. I have been driving 50 years and never had any speed tickets. For over 30 years I have had jobs which took me all over the South East and never was late for appointments. If I can do it... So it is down to drivers to obey the law at all times. It is a criminal offence to exceed a statutory speed limit!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 14:12   #6
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Whilst an increase in casualties in the first year is worrying I wouldn't say it's conclusive proof that '20mph is more dangerous that 30mph'.
There's not a lot of detail in the report but it does say that the increase occurred in half of the 20mph areas, in some areas there was a decrease, with a small sample size (I can't imagine that there were more than 20 new 20mph areas) the randomness of accident rates would plausibly explain all of that. Even if they had made no changes to the speed limits in a small sample comparing one calendar year to another I would expect some to show more accidents, some less and some about the same.
I can't be bothered digging for the stats to argue with the daily Wail but I'd want to see a more comprehensive study over a lot more sites and over a few years before leaping to any conclusions or extrapolating results and assigning blame to overconfident pedestrians.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 14:28   #7
owyn
Premier Member

It's come out on several news sources and it appears that a 20 limit on its own increases the number and severity of incidents. If they are used in conjunction with other traffic calming measures then the same measure improves.
Very interesting and maybe opens up the 'any speed is bad' debate a bit more.

I have a personal theory that if a speed limit is grossly disproportionate then it gets less respect so people break it and drive at whatever speed they want.
Similar to the push towards lowering 60 limits to 50 because it's a popular motorbike road where deaths occur at 130.
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 15:22   #8
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

There is a school near me that has a manned crossing point, that's in a 30mph zone that already has traffic calming measures.
Now there used to be 2 signs with flashing yellow lights that were activated when ever the crossing point was manned that reduced the speed limit to 20mph most people took notice because the lights were flashing and reduced their speed, now the signs have been replaced with permanent 20mph signs making it a 20mph zone 24/7 now most people just ignore the 20mph zone as it just a short zone just outside the school, less than 50yds long were as the old 20mph zone covered almost the entire length of the road.
I think the use of 20mph zones has its place, but I think in some cases a temporary speed restriction at appropriate times is more effective.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 15:51   #9
canis
Non Fragile

I consider myself both a pedestrian as well as a driver. From the perspective of a pedestrian, it's really frustrating having to wait at the side of the road for a car to crawl towards you. If it just got on with it and went past, crossing the road would be easier. Slowing the traffic down, does (I believe) make crossing it more difficult. From a driver's perspective, traffic gapped at 30mph, slowed down to 20mph, makes junctions truly painful.

There's also misconceptions. I've known non-drivers presume a large speed hump (with big it's white triangles and block paving) is equivalent to a zebra crossing, which is of course not true. A child might easily make such a mistake, having no prerequisite traffic knowledge. Particularly if it's located at a pedestrian thoroughfare.

There's an awful lot of white paint on the roads these days. It's probably very confusing for non-drivers.

I recently stumbled into a town centre which had no road markings at all, nor any signs. No traffic control, no right of way for anyone. The uncluttered look and feel of the place was truly blissful, and it certainly made me drive with acute awareness.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2017, 16:20   #10
christheancient
Aged Volvo Lover

Location: A place in mendip-land famous for its cheese - and its gorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I recently stumbled into a town centre which had no road markings at all, nor any signs. No traffic control, no right of way for anyone. The uncluttered look and feel of the place was truly blissful, and it certainly made me drive with acute awareness.
IIRC... Common In Holland? Called 'woonerhaven' or something similar?

And I think I remember some trials on a similar vein in this country. Where did you fine them, Canis?

Our children don't inherit the world from us. We are borrowing it from them.
christheancient is offline   Reply With Quote