Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1st Impressions of my new XC60 T5

Views : 9841

Replies : 93

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2018, 22:57   #61
macklij
Member since 2007

My first impressions are a mixed bag. To be fair, I only got my XC60 T5 two days ago and I have been too busy to play much. I have only driven it home from the dealer and played in the drive.

1. Build time was quick. Order 11 August. Delivered Friday.

2. Fusion red is lovely. Car looks generally fabulous.

3. Slight misalignment on driver's side rear door. Makes the chrome trims look slightly out of line, but the door isn't fully flush with the rear wing. Poor quality control.

4. Initially unimpressed with Harmon/Kardon audio. On further exploration this evening it looks like the sub-woofer isn't working. Adjusting it up and down makes no difference whatsoever. Maybe than is why the sound is 'thin'. Does anyone know where the sub is located, and where it ports into the cabin, so I can try and have a listen more closely?

Thanks
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 08:56   #62
RobQuads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
When I think of petrol v diesel I keep coming up with the following phrases / words
Quieter
Smoother
£3400 cheaper
Not the fuel of Satan
Whats fascinating is that very quickly the price difference becomes way closer 2nd hand, even in the 1 year olds some of them are roughly equally priced (maybe due to having 5 times diesels available?

For me too I would prefer the Petrol I think but if the prices are even not sure i can stomach the lower fuel consumption so will be interesting to see how you get on. Couple K difference second hand and petrol wins
RobQuads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 17:06   #63
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklij View Post
4. Initially unimpressed with Harman/Kardon audio. On further exploration this evening it looks like the sub-woofer isn't working. Adjusting it up and down makes no difference whatsoever. Maybe than is why the sound is 'thin'. Does anyone know where the sub is located, and where it ports into the cabin, so I can try and have a listen more closely?
I played a little more today. The sub-woofer is working (phew). It's just that many songs have a bass cut-off that is too high for the sub to actually kick in at all.

I was surprised that even apparently bass heavy songs like Black Eyed Peas 'Where is the love?', don't extend down to really low bass frequencies where the sub is active. Today I tried Lorde's 'Royals' - that kicked the sub into life

So full marks for Volvo and Harman for not succumbing to the bass heavy brigade. Overall, the HK stereo is good, but to be honest it's not a vast improvement on the Premium Sound I had in my V50 (sold today) except for graphical bells and whistles. I can't remember how much that was; but certainly over £600 in 2006, so probably the in same ballpark as Harman/Kardon now.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 21:40   #64
WhatNext?

4. Initially unimpressed with Harmon/Kardon audio. On further exploration this evening it looks like the sub-woofer isn't working. Adjusting it up and down makes no difference whatsoever. Maybe than is why the sound is 'thin'. Does anyone know where the sub is located, and where it ports into the cabin, so I can try and have a listen more closely?

Interesting ... I was also a bit unimpressed having never listened to the HK prior to purchase. Thought the standard system was good, but not quite as good as the one in my old Merc, so ordered the HK option

Having tested mine today, I can confirm the sub-woofer option does not appear to make any difference on mine too. I'm waiting for it to be booked in.

Another issue I noted is the wipers does not always go back fully ... some time it goes back to about 95%, then 2 seconds later goes back completely. At other times it just stays at the 95 % position (ie. I can see it just above the bonnet line). Can anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour?

Last edited by WhatNext?; Oct 1st, 2018 at 23:37.
WhatNext? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:17   #65
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
Another issue I noted is the wipers does not always go back fully ... some time it goes back to about 95%, then 2 seconds later goes back completely. At other times it just stays at the 95 % position (ie. I can see it just above the bonnet line). Can anyone confirm if this is normal behaviour?
I have also noticed this and am trying to find any logic behind why this happens.
In all times I have had the wipers in the Auto-rain sensor mode when this happens.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:29   #66
macklij
Member since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloke69 View Post
Having tested mine today, I can confirm does the sub-woofer option does not appear to make any difference on mine too. I'm waiting for it to be booked in.
Before you book it in, try a few different songs if you haven't already. Sometimes the obvious 'bassy' tunes don't actually have low enough frequencies to activate the sub. I found a couple of songs where changing the subwoofer control from minimum to maximum did make a difference, so my sub is definitely working.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 22:50   #67
PaulBendall

For a track that really challenges a music system, requiring control with deep bass I always try out Leftfield's, 21st Century Poem, from Leftism. The song is 5 minutes 45 seconds long and has some significant bass and treble with stereo movement. The track appears to end at 4 minutes 38 seconds as all goes quiet until 5 minutes and 9 seconds where deep bass kicks in building in intensity. Only good systems can play it without booming or distortion.

Having said all that I have yet to try it out on my XC60 B&W system.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulBendall For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 23:11   #68
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post
For a track that really challenges a music system, requiring control with deep bass I always try out Leftfield's, 21st Century Poem, from Leftism. The song is 5 minutes 45 seconds long and has some significant bass and treble with stereo movement. The track appears to end at 4 minutes 38 seconds as all goes quiet until 5 minutes and 9 seconds where deep bass kicks in building in intensity. Only good systems can play it without booming or distortion.

Just listening to this track now, love the way the music builds and fades throughout.
Will try it in the car tomorrow.........
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 09:56   #69
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBendall View Post

Mmm listened to it, I see where you are coming from regarding stereo effect, base etc, but glad I dont share a long journey in your car though, but hey ho we all have different tastes in music and you would probably not like mine.

Some people even went out and bought the birdie song, they actually parted with real money for it, AND for the Floral dance by Terry Wogan. (any other songs to add to these folks)
🙏🙉☺
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2018, 18:35   #70
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Just listening to this track now, love the way the music builds and fades throughout.
Will try it in the car tomorrow.........
Excellent track to test the sub-woofer, I am sure my car was literally bouncing on its air suspension for the last 30 odd seconds ........ and was delighted to report that my sub-woofer ha passed it’s test.

My previous track to test a car’s sound system was by Metallica called “All nightmares long” from the album Death Magnetic which again might not be Nulleaf’s choice............