Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4/5 tuning- Interesting..

Views : 9204

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 30th, 2019, 08:15   #11
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightT4 View Post
I looked at the BSR tuning option but the ECU has to be unlocked by them which throws a red flag up.

I would love to map my D4 however if the ECu has to come out and be unlocked by non volvo place im not so keen.
Hence the SA Tuning link I posted.

Map added and removed when required by the handheld device - like Bluefin.
No ecu out, no trips to mappers and no duff tuning boxes.
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 10:36   #12
Iainmc

be interested to see how you get on Bob, if you go for it?

I am not due to get my car until June but am looking at this sort of thing as I think that the bhp + torque gains should make a noticeable difference.

I am also looking at the DTUK gearbox flash as I am reading lots of complaints about the Volvo auto box (the one I test drove for 3 days seemed to behave itself though)
Iainmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:07   #13
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
Hmm.. ‘custom tunes’ ‘must be setup on a Dyno’..

In a previous life - ex Thunderbike endurance racer for 12 years, Californian Superbike School Instructor and all that.

On a road bike (an R1) I put a Power Commander on it and found a file online that near enough matched all the go-faster parts I had fitted. Rode fine for a summer then took it to A dyno with my ZX10 racebike.

After the ‘custom dyno’ tune it gained 4hp in the midrange and nothing anywhere else. Perfectly fine for a road bike. I think generic are fine for a diesel estate car..

Spent many thousands extracting minimal power gains on the ZX10 though!
I have done similar with a dynojet PowerVision and a stock map, then a lot of "autotuning" runs and you are right - it gets pretty close. Then a bit of tweaking various tables for timing etc and I think you can get 95% of the way to a dyno tune.

Even so, I have always got better when putting the bikes on a dyno.

But you are right - for a diesel estate, a cookie cutter map is probably good enough!
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:10   #14
al dm

Quote:

Here's an email I got from SA Tuning this morning. They claim very good gains:

"Stock you are running 235 bhp and 470 NMs of torque. Previously we have achieved 290 bhp and 580 NMs of torque with this vehicle. This is with a Stage 1 Remap, which is designed for use with standard components and within all mechanical tolerances. We class this as our fast road application, which is the best all round performance for stock vehicles. The price for your vehicle is £339.

As a natural consequence of more torque you may also see better fuel economy when driving conservatively. However, this can vary from vehicle to vehicle.

At SA Tuning we use the very latest equipment. Our software is developed on our Hitech dynamometer to ensure accuracy in terms of both power delivery and also to ensure that fuelling, boost pressures and exhaust gas temperatures (where applicable) are all within tolerance. We pride ourselves on our ability to achieve maximum power whilst maintaining optimum reliability. "

I have a few questions into them about how they develop their maps, what tables they tweak and whether I could take the car to them and have them do final tweaks on their dyno.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2019, 12:25   #15
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
Here's an email I got from SA Tuning this morning. They claim very good gains:

"Stock you are running 235 bhp and 470 NMs of torque. Previously we have achieved 290 bhp and 580 NMs of torque with this vehicle. This is with a Stage 1 Remap, which is designed for use with standard components and within all mechanical tolerances. We class this as our fast road application, which is the best all round performance for stock vehicles. The price for your vehicle is £339.

As a natural consequence of more torque you may also see better fuel economy when driving conservatively. However, this can vary from vehicle to vehicle.

At SA Tuning we use the very latest equipment. Our software is developed on our Hitech dynamometer to ensure accuracy in terms of both power delivery and also to ensure that fuelling, boost pressures and exhaust gas temperatures (where applicable) are all within tolerance. We pride ourselves on our ability to achieve maximum power whilst maintaining optimum reliability. "

I have a few questions into them about how they develop their maps, what tables they tweak and whether I could take the car to them and have them do final tweaks on their dyno.
So absolutely no promises then?

That bit about torque is crap.
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 13:48   #16

That interesting. To date only cpa tuning have a box out for the D5 engines, DTE/DTUK and most others only support the D4 at present.
Keep us updated!
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 14:31   #17
MidnightT4

Quote:

Maybe im being daft here.

BSR do the same style device but the ECU has to be unlocked to map it?

How does this differ exactly if the ECU is locked from third party tuners doing it?
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 15:27   #18
Berkshirebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightT4 View Post
Maybe im being daft here.

BSR do the same style device but the ECU has to be unlocked to map it?

How does this differ exactly if the ECU is locked from third party tuners doing it?
I’d love the BSR option but Ecu out and sending away is not appealing. These guys can do everything OBD allegedly. I’ll confirm this Friday when mine arrives..
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 18:47   #19
MidnightT4

Quote:
I’d love the BSR option but Ecu out and sending away is not appealing. These guys can do everything OBD allegedly. I’ll confirm this Friday when mine arrives..
That’s what I’m wondering.

BSR day the ecu has to be unlocked before you can use the OBD port tool to upload the map.

That’s why I found it strange that this place will just send you the obd tool to upload a map. That means the ecu doesn’t need unlocked?

Happy days if it works tbh
Old Feb 6th, 2019, 20:10   #20

It is possible they or someone has cracked the ecu encryption. The same was true of the b58 engine in 340i 540i etc until recently the only option was ecu out or tuning box. You can now get remaps via the odb port.

If Volvos ecu coding was done by the same bloke who wrote the gear box software I imagine the password was just "password" and lucky the car works at all!
225 is offline   Reply With Quote