Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

First Time Volvo Owner (Eventually)

Views : 3572

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2019, 19:58   #1
sk546
Master Member

Default First Time Volvo Owner (Eventually)

Hi all, Just though I'd say hello.
After finding my previous car to be less than perfect (moving from an Audi RS6 Performance) with my local Audi Stealer & Audi Technical just telling me there is nothing wrong with it, I decided to cut all ties with the Audi/VW brand and looked to find a new daily.
Having decided to look down the Hybrid route, I decided to have a test drive in an XC60 T8 and was very impressed to say the least. It was no RS6 but its pace and ability was quite impressive not to mention the awesome Tech and interior luxury.
With the wife on side we did the Carwow thing and found a good deal with a localish dealer and placed an order on a MY20 XC60 R-Design Pro T8 with a good selection of options including Polestar Optimisation. Having driven a non Polestar and a Polestar, there is a definite difference in both the ICE & gearbox performance with the Polestar software installed.
Now the but..... My order was placed in early December and to this point, Volvo Cambridge have not received a build slot date for my car. Originally, 4 to 6 months wait time was mentioned (and I understand from reading other posts on here that all T8 models have suffered from quite extended delivery times) but to have not heard anything from Volvo UK in 2 months (the dealership have been great responding to all my emails and always apologising for the situation) is starting to worry me a little. If I had an end date at least I could plan for that but I still have nothing.
Is this a normal thing or is the switch to the MY20 car & the normal T8 delivery delays combining to make an enormous wait??
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 09:50   #2
jonnyu

First of all congrats.
What a car you bought, uau

Second: I too came from Audi due to the poor service they had. I decided to break ties because the target market for Audi now are "Millennials" apparently so you and me are dirt for them...

Yes, there are tons of delays for the following reasons:
-Due to The Donald, the tariffs have been imposed on cars coming from China. The Chinese factory was the one producing XC60 for the US. Now they changed the strategy and the remaining factories have too many orders to handle
-Europe gets it's XC60 from Belgium I believe that was also supplying XC60s to the US when the US imposed the tariffs. Not sure how it is right now.
-The XC60 is one of the few SUVs in 2018 that is soaring in sales and Volvo was not prepared to deal with such a high demand.
-They give you a worst case scenario of 4 to 6 months. In 3 to 4 months you will get the car. I ordered mine in late September and I got it in December. It was produced on 5/12 and delivered on the 18/12 so even if the car leaves the production line on a specific date you still have to wait 1 to 2 weeks to have it delivered. Regarding the production dates, the dealer has all this information close to the production date.

You just need to be patient. It will be worth the wait I can assure you. Hope I helped to manage your expectations.

Last edited by jonnyu; Feb 7th, 2019 at 09:53.
jonnyu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonnyu For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 10:58   #3
AWM

Anything T8 is on extended delivery.

Based on my recent experience, I can't imagine a made to order XC60 T8 being delivered in much less than 6 months at the moment due to several issues but mostly demand vs. supply.

All I can say is it's worth the wait...

AWM
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 12:32   #4
Paddybear

Appreciate time moves on but if it helps, I placed an order for a XC60 T8 mid Sept 18 and it was delivered last week - 6 weeks early. Lovely car, good performance and surprising economy. Early days but worth wait.
Paddybear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paddybear For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 12:40   #5
LordLucan

I'm current waiting for my V90 to arrive. The dealer told me its already arrived with them but i can't have it until my current lease car goes back at the end of March.
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:13   #6
S60Chris
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Hi all, Just though I'd say hello.
After finding my previous car to be less than perfect (moving from an Audi RS6 Performance) with my local Audi Stealer & Audi Technical just telling me there is nothing wrong with it, I decided to cut all ties with the Audi/VW brand and looked to find a new daily.
Having decided to look down the Hybrid route, I decided to have a test drive in an XC60 T8 and was very impressed to say the least. It was no RS6 but its pace and ability was quite impressive not to mention the awesome Tech and interior luxury.
With the wife on side we did the Carwow thing and found a good deal with a localish dealer and placed an order on a MY20 XC60 R-Design Pro T8 with a good selection of options including Polestar Optimisation. Having driven a non Polestar and a Polestar, there is a definite difference in both the ICE & gearbox performance with the Polestar software installed.
Now the but..... My order was placed in early December and to this point, Volvo Cambridge have not received a build slot date for my car. Originally, 4 to 6 months wait time was mentioned (and I understand from reading other posts on here that all T8 models have suffered from quite extended delivery times) but to have not heard anything from Volvo UK in 2 months (the dealership have been great responding to all my emails and always apologising for the situation) is starting to worry me a little. If I had an end date at least I could plan for that but I still have nothing.
Is this a normal thing or is the switch to the MY20 car & the normal T8 delivery delays combining to make an enormous wait??
Welcome. FWIW Marshall Volvo Cambridge are our local dealer and having bought 2 cars new from them and recommended them to numerous friends/family members I know them well and have always found them to be excellent.
The Following User Says Thank You to S60Chris For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 13:39   #7
SimNugget

I ordered my XC90 T8 in September and similar to you, the dealer did not get a build a lot for a while and suggested a Feb19 delivery.
Then a phone call came saying the slot was confirmed for December and sure enough the car arrived a few weeks later.
Salesman did say on collection that T8s are now being quoted as June deliveries but you never know.

Hang in there...

S
SimNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 14:07   #8
boston1450

Default xc90 problem

Hi all. New here. Will spend time reading & learning this Volvo Forum & how to navigate thru it... I have a issue with my 2011 Volvo xc90 3.2L. Im getting a grinding noise on driver side of motor. Not sure if its water pump or if noise is coming across from alternator/ shaft. It starred light grinding a few weeks ago & its getting louder. So not good. I had local mechanic look it over & he cant really tell what it is either... I have no problem changing waterpump & alternator out BUT afraid it may not be issue. Volvo garage is 60+ miles away & may try to drive it there. Any thoughts - thanks in advance
boston1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 14:07   #9
Duri13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimNugget View Post
Salesman did say on collection that T8s are now being quoted as June deliveries but you never know.
S
I confirm this for XC90. When ordering my D5 on Jan 23, T8 was quoted for June (I do not remember the week). All other engines were for end of March.
past: XC60 D4 FWD AT (MY 2015)
Duri13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 14:14   #10
boston1450

Talking Mods

I posted below & it may be in wrong area. Please move post to correct area. Sorry & thank you. Newbee
boston1450 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boston1450 For This Useful Post: