Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

sticking rear door lock/handle

Views : 2162

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2019, 16:12   #1
Steff79

Default sticking rear door lock/handle

Hi,

My 2015 V70 has an intermittent door lock or handle issue.

When you get somewhere, stop the car and go to get the kids out, the passenger side rear door sometimes wont open. It is essentially locked and you have to unlock on the central locking to open it.

It doesn't do it all the time but typically it often does it when my wife goes to let my son out and then she goes on about it being a safety issue and would it open in an accident.

So, the car is going in for a different recall next week and I've asked them to look at this. It is covered by the Volvo extended warranty but Hatfields still give me the spiel about having to cover the costs of diagnostics if they don't find anything!

I just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue or is aware of it and whether anyone is aware of any conditions to replicate it as it's sods law that it wont do it when it goes to the dealer and I really want it sorting while it's under warranty!

thanks
Steff
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 16:41   #2
Model flyer
Master Member

The door locks on these and many other cars fail usually due to a weak motor and it's quite a common fault. Your warranty should cover it . Diagnostics ? If a lock doesn't open then it's obviously a fault . You can go to any Volvo dealer for work under your warranty if your not satisfied.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2019, 16:55   #3
Steff79

Thanks. I guess the issue is that it doesn't do it every time, so it's highly likely that it wont do it when with Volvo.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 20:17   #4
JC1818

Worth taking a video of it happening on your phone as proof
JC1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 22:15   #5
rickp78

I have a late 2015 XC70 and I too have a similar problem with the rear offside door! It unlocks first time, but quite often if you shut it and try to open it again, it doesn't open! You have to unlock all doors again for it to unlock. All other doors are ok.

My driver's external handle often remains open and doesn't spring back, which is also annoying!
rickp78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 11:38   #6
Model flyer
Master Member

My driver's external handle often remains open and doesn't spring back, which is also annoying![/QUOTE]

That doesn't sound like the motor units but like a stiff pivot or similar in the lock unit . Remove the door card and spray the lock unit with some lube spray WD 40 or similar. There are a few of the linkages that are external and can get dirty and stiff . Worth a try before stripping out. You might even be able to get some lube into it through the handle aperture .

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 13:25   #7
Steff79

Thanks all,

the video on the phone is a good shout, I'll try that.

An extra annoyance that makes it hard to detect is that the car has key less unlocking, so if you have the key with you it will initially not open and then unlock itself. Just harder to make it do it if that makes sense.

rickp78 - it sounds like we have exactly the same problem! I just hope I can get it sorted under warranty.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 16:48   #8
pacman67
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan Eldred View Post
Hi,

My 2015 V70 has an intermittent door lock or handle issue.

When you get somewhere, stop the car and go to get the kids out, the passenger side rear door sometimes wont open. It is essentially locked and you have to unlock on the central locking to open it.

It doesn't do it all the time but typically it often does it when my wife goes to let my son out and then she goes on about it being a safety issue and would it open in an accident.

So, the car is going in for a different recall next week and I've asked them to look at this. It is covered by the Volvo extended warranty but Hatfields still give me the spiel about having to cover the costs of diagnostics if they don't find anything!

I just wondered if anyone else had a similar issue or is aware of it and whether anyone is aware of any conditions to replicate it as it's sods law that it wont do it when it goes to the dealer and I really want it sorting while it's under warranty!

thanks
Steff
It will need a new lock assembly. My 2014 was exactly the same on my drivers door. Point out it is a safety issue, children in the car , fails to open in an emergency etc. It's a known issue with the locks unfortunately.
currently held: V70 P3 D5 SE LUX, XC90 MK2 Inscription Pro.
pacman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 21:38   #9
ShadeTek
Premier Member

The door handles sticking in the open position is a known issue. You have to file a bit of the handle down as the plastic size increases with age. Lubrication is a short term fix.

The locking motors on the doors also suffer from the brushes disintegrating and the dust shorts out the commutator. The motors are variable online but you can strip and clean them if you are handy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202435836677?ul_noapp=true

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287900

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287900

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301

Last edited by ShadeTek; Feb 9th, 2019 at 21:44.
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 11:51   #10
spyboy

I have this on my MY16 XC70, nearside rear door. I have an additional problem that when the car is locked offside rear door is not locked!
spyboy is offline   Reply With Quote