Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECO Mode - Right Hand Dial

Views : 3380

Replies : 31

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2019, 14:32   #1
Giles1234

Default ECO Mode - Right Hand Dial

Does anyone actually understand this? It seems a complete mystery to me. Why are there no units? It could be useful to see instant mpg, revs, even water temperature would be more useful. And when you push the gearstick over to "manual" it reads differently to when you are in "auto", even though you are still in the same gear, same revs, same speed.

Or is it just me?
Giles1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 15:05   #2
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles1234 View Post
Does anyone actually understand this? It seems a complete mystery to me. Why are there no units? It could be useful to see instant mpg, revs, even water temperature would be more useful. And when you push the gearstick over to "manual" it reads differently to when you are in "auto", even though you are still in the same gear, same revs, same speed.

Or is it just me?
😁Gotta love Volvo😁

I guess there are things meant to be inexplicable and unsolved. Volvo likes to play mind tricks with you with us all...

"Shall We Play a Game?"
WarGames (1983)

An old one just for the older ones 😉

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Feb 8th, 2019 at 15:18.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VOLVOL0VER For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 16:10   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles1234 View Post

Or is it just me?
The display is an economy meter, if you can keep the pointer below the eco indicator you are doing well, When you put gearbox in manual you are no longer in eco mode as you have control of revs and when you change gear so the car cannot change up or down for best economy and stop start is not active and aircon will go back to full function when in manual. You can have instant MPG at the bottom of the display as well as miles before tank empty, you have to set this up with the right hand steering buttons and tick the boxes, you can change other options there too.
Also when in eco mode the car will coast when you take foot off the accellerator going down hill etc and coasting is displayed at the bottom of the eco display, touching the brakes stops coasting and you have to use the accellerator again before it will re-activate.
I agree about the temperature gauge, I like to see that in my cars.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 16:36   #4
Greygordon

nu11eaf, have you ever considered writing an "Idiots Guide to Setting up your XC60"? I'd buy one. I have had my car just a few weeks now and am still trying to figure things out. Your explanation of the dial in eco mode was just the right level for me, I had not found this information anywhere else. Thanks again.
Greygordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 16:55   #5
Berkshirebob

Sadly no coasting in eco when using adaptive cruise though. Shame as I do love a bit of adaptive cruise..
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 17:10   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Yes same here, if on a long down hill section I have stopped adaptive cruise but car tends to speed up requiring the use of the brakes to slow down, which knocks coasting off so its hardly worth faffing with.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 17:12   #7
anotherv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkshirebob View Post
Sadly no coasting in eco when using adaptive cruise though. Shame as I do love a bit of adaptive cruise..

I think coasting is available with the PIlot assist 3 upgrade
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 18:27   #8
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greygordon View Post
nu11eaf, have you ever considered writing an "Idiots Guide to Setting up your XC60"? I'd buy one. I have had my car just a few weeks now and am still trying to figure things out. Your explanation of the dial in eco mode was just the right level for me, I had not found this information anywhere else. Thanks again.
I have written idiots guides many, many times in my time working in the chemical industry, and never blown anyone up. Touch wood.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 20:21   #9
MOzS90

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherv60 View Post
I think coasting is available with the PIlot assist 3 upgrade
That doesn’t exist according to my dealer.

Coasting is easy. All I do is disengage adaptive cruise at the top of any hills. No major issues.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 00:10   #10
Quacker
Premier Member

Don’t worry about coasting. It actually uses more fuel than if a gear was engaged, because on engine over-run all fuel is cut off, compared to coasting where enough fuel must be consumed to keep the engine idling. While this may not be much, consider that it is significant enough to bother fitting cars with idle engine stop/start hardware. Another bit of rubbish, cars could do without.