Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aftermarket Performance Air Filter

Views : 1887

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2019, 00:14   #1
sk546
Master Member

Default Aftermarket Performance Air Filter

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone on here with a T5, T6(obviously not the UK guys as we don't get the T6 here) or T8 installed a K&N or similar air filter and if so, has it made any improved the induction sound and/or power of the engine?

I have installed these on the vast majority of my previous cars to good effect and am interested to see if its worth doing on my XC60 T8 when it arrives.
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 08:38   #2
Chief inspector
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone on here with a T5, T6(obviously not the UK guys as we don't get the T6 here) or T8 installed a K&N or similar air filter and if so, has it made any improved the induction sound and/or power of the engine?

I have installed these on the vast majority of my previous cars to good effect and am interested to see if its worth doing on my XC60 T8 when it arrives.
9 times out of 10 these things make conditions worse and can void your warranty, especially if its the oiled one as it contaminates the MAF, they say it doesn’t, but you wont be oiling it in their lab.

Its a filter, its job is to filter air, to prevent muck contaminating the engine, throttle body and air flow measuring equipment. These are worse at filtering air so a backwards step and potentially a warranty voiding action.

And usually they also have a worse pressure drop than a standard one at full revs so you actually lose power.

These things are really for carburettors and a relic from a bygone age, modern cars dont save 20p on filters any more as they have a direct bearing on important items for sales like emissions and fuel economy.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 09:08   #3
kenny
Master Member

A complete waste of money on its own. You might get a slight induction noise but no noticeable change in performance. If you start changing engine map, intercoolers turbos then yes you will need to improve air flow but I would save your money.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:06   #4
gaby
Premier Member

More noise???
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:23   #5
SimNugget

I install BMC filters on my M or AMG cars but hadn’t thought about the T8 really.

The BMCs are beautifully made but I honestly don’t think they make any difference.

S
SimNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:33   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Does anyone know who actually makes the OEM Volvo air filters?
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 00:01   #7
Haldex
Premier Member

“Performance” vs stock paper filter: https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Haldex For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 02:11   #8
sk546
Master Member

That ties in with the experience on my previous car, i did rolling road power runs with a OEM filter and a K&N (unintentional I might add, Audi told me they had refitted my K&N after they had put in an OEM filter to took some readings to prove the K&N filter wasn't pushing the car outside of its operating limits but as it turns out they had left the OEM one installed!!! ).
Peak difference was about 45bhp and 60lbft but the power difference throughout the rev range was massive (area under the graph and all). The people doing the power runs were quite shocked the difference just a filter made, they were sure Audi had done something.

My last cars Mass Air Flow sensor wasn't fitted until after the turbochargers and charge cooler so it didn't suffer from the filters oil affecting its reading. Does anyone know if the T6/T8 engine has the MAF sensor just after the airbox or further down the air intake system?
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 08:56   #9
MaDProFF
Master Member

That Video is pretty flawed tbh, that Dyno is so far out, but I still agree it does make a slight difference in the right car, Modern ECU's do adjust for air flow intake differences.

Oddly enough I also had a K & N in my Audi, which was new, and Audi Dealer know about it, and agreed it was better for the car which is why they cleaned it and put it back in when servicing.

Would I put one in my T8, probably not, it has enough issues with software as it is, not sure how it would respond with a change in air flow, but be my guest as a test puppet and let me know

Last edited by MaDProFF; Feb 12th, 2019 at 08:58.
MaDProFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2019, 10:01   #10
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk546 View Post
That ties in with the experience on my previous car, i did rolling road power runs with a OEM filter and a K&N (unintentional I might add, Audi told me they had refitted my K&N after they had put in an OEM filter to took some readings to prove the K&N filter wasn't pushing the car outside of its operating limits but as it turns out they had left the OEM one installed!!! ).
Peak difference was about 45bhp and 60lbft but the power difference throughout the rev range was massive (area under the graph and all). The people doing the power runs were quite shocked the difference just a filter made, they were sure Audi had done something.

My last cars Mass Air Flow sensor wasn't fitted until after the turbochargers and charge cooler so it didn't suffer from the filters oil affecting its reading. Does anyone know if the T6/T8 engine has the MAF sensor just after the airbox or further down the air intake system?
I don’t believe that an air filter would make any where in those regions gains wise.

I would suggest the rolling road was not giving repeatable readings.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: