Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Winter wheels and tyres some thoughts

Views : 1228

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 12:38   #11
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
A few Jap cars have the same fittment as the X40's, mainly Mitsubushi's. I ran winters on 16 inch alloys with no problem. Whilst skyship does speak sense in paying for a decent tyre, Vredestein are also a good make. Cheaper than the main brands but perform just as well.
You have to look at the figures for each particular tyre size, because for some sizes you might find one of the smaller companies specifically designed a tyre for that particular size and were top of the tables. For example Bridgestone did well in one size and Vedestrian in another, but in general terms the big players are hard to beat.
Tread depth is more important in snow and to be legal in Switzerland or Austria you need 4mm plus during the winter.
Unfortuntely if you buy winter tyres that are real good in snow, they may not be so good in more normal wet or dry road conditions. I would like to buy the best winter tyres for ice, but the EU can't get its act together at present as to what average road ice should consist of.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 16:10   #12
rupertfinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 854 1984cc 20v View Post
A larger rolling circumference = slightly faster, not slower than previously at any given speed; for every revolution of the wheel/tyre, the car is travelling a little bit further.
D'oh, I'm feeling a bit thick!!!

On a plus side, I've just found Uniroyal M&S from Camskill at a good price, so if my weekend wheel search comes up trumps, I shall hopefully be sporting winter tyres before the jolly fat man in the red suit appears.
rupertfinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 01:26   #13
Haizum74
Master Member

A couple of people have mentioned to me about the Nankang Snow SV 2's as a good and reasonable winter tyre. Not tried them yet but off recommendations im getting some soon

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 14:21   #14
Yetiman

Has anyone had any luck finding suitable steel wheels to use for winter wheels ?

I've been looking for the last month or two and all I can find is space savers.
I'm looking for two fairly wide (6J ish) steel wheels and probably 15 or 16" dia. but to no avail !?

Cheers

Michael
Yetiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2012, 16:02   #15
phil_r

I know you can get steel wheels from "my tyres" with tyres on, but if you hunt around you will get some alloys for the same price or even less. Some of the early V40's and S40's I think came with steel wheels so you could try some scrap yards or on ebay.

I just got a second set of alloys to match mine for £40, got a lot of summer mileage out of two of the tyres and then put some winter tyres on!

Phil