Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

stripped timing gear

Views : 1503

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2012, 19:58   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default stripped timing gear

Hi folks, just got back from the Algarve Classicos rally. Had great fun, went wrong a few times and managed to finish 8th out of 9 in my class Had a ball. Just as I entered the village of Sagres on way home about five minutes from my house I heard a light clicking and then a heavy ticking from engine. Pulled over into lay by and engine died. I called my friendly mechanic who lives only five minutes away and he came out and towed me the half kilometer to his garage. We pulled the plugs and turned the engine over. No compression on 1&2. Gulp.
We removed the cam/valve cover and turned the motor over again. No movement from tapets so given luck it's only a stripped timing gear! It will be a couple of days before he has time to remove the timing cover so I will just need to wait and hope that that's all it is.Any thoughts on fitting the steel replacement geard instead of the fiber one? I suspect that they are quite noisey. BTW was it Amazon cars that had the workshop manual download? I have the Haynes download but it's not very clear.
Old Apr 29th, 2012, 22:59   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

Try this one for 140 Green books http://www.k-jet.org/documents/greenbooks/100-series/

This one has Owners docs 240 right up to XC90
http://www.volvoosad.com/Manuals/

If your timing gear is completely gone, the distributor won't turn at all when you turn the engine via a spanner on the front pulley nut. This seems to be confirmed by no valve train movement. If the star shaped centre has just come adrift from the fibre, the distributor will turn but there will be some play to take up before the cam starts to turn.
Fibre or steel? Your call but if you intend to keep the car a long time and do lots of Euro miles in it, some with the caravan, the steel set would be recommended. Steel ones changed as a pair as they are different to the fibre ones. Make sure the oil nozzle is clear and pointing at the junction of the two gears.Oil squirting in the right place is good for keeping the steel gears just a bit quieter. They do quieten down after a few hundred miles.

Last edited by Derek UK; Apr 29th, 2012 at 23:07.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 06:20   #3
laptoprob

Default quiet?

Not that it is annoying, but you can hear the difference. I like the sound. In mine, it hasn't quieted down. But the piece of mind that it will never fail is very comforting.
laptoprob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 16:24   #4
Mike B
VOC Member 4911

Default Gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Hi folks, just got back from the Algarve Classicos rally. Had great fun, went wrong a few times and managed to finish 8th out of 9 in my class Had a ball. Just as I entered the village of Sagres on way home about five minutes from my house I heard a light clicking and then a heavy ticking from engine. Pulled over into lay by and engine died. I called my friendly mechanic who lives only five minutes away and he came out and towed me the half kilometer to his garage. We pulled the plugs and turned the engine over. No compression on 1&2. Gulp.
We removed the cam/valve cover and turned the motor over again. No movement from tapets so given luck it's only a stripped timing gear! It will be a couple of days before he has time to remove the timing cover so I will just need to wait and hope that that's all it is.Any thoughts on fitting the steel replacement geard instead of the fiber one? I suspect that they are quite noisey. BTW was it Amazon cars that had the workshop manual download? I have the Haynes download but it's not very clear.
Hi
Had the gears strip on my 164 a few years ago, I replaced them with the steel ones [ a bit noisy but you get used to them] .
I think the price is about the same . Quite easy job .
Regards
Mike B
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 15:35   #5
arcturus
arcturus

Here's the offending item. I only hope that a valve hasn't hit a piston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg timeing gear 003.JPG (306.9 KB, 32 views)
Old May 1st, 2012, 20:18   #6
guitarman

Good- pleased it is just the pesky fibre gear. Not possible on the B engines to mangle a valve as they're not interference engines....unlike some modern £&$>%##s engines I've known! Where dyou get the steel set from? Not sure Amazon cars do em. Jimmy
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:48   #7
arcturus
arcturus

Braydon. Tony Barrett, "the old Volvo man" First class service.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:52   #8
skidje
Master Member

Just cureous.. How many teeth do the steel wheels have ie the big one?

I wonder what performs best. I'm quite sure I've seen them with the same amount of teeth like yours but for whatever reason I've seen them with more teeth. Perhaps the ones with more teeth give less noise!?
skidje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 13:56   #9
arcturus
arcturus

Hi, I ended up staying with the fibre. I should think that they must all have the same teeth/ gear ratio. The top one I believe operates the cam and dizy.The lower runs of the crankshaft I should think. I will post pic of new ones later.
BTW ordered from Braydons Monday and arrived in portugal this morning, Wednesday. Can't do much better than that!
Old May 2nd, 2012, 14:44   #10
asjesus

I think you need this:

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...-duty/1000147/