Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Please help to identify carburettor conversion

Views : 1028

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 29th, 2019, 09:25   #1
Mika Zelikman

Default Please help to identify carburettor conversion

Hello,

A friend of mine has a '87 240 with a 230 engine. According to VIN it was originally a fuel injected car that was converted to carburettor at some point.

The carburettor has started acting up and now needs to be either overhauled or replaced with the same or a compatible. The problem is me/her/or her village mechanic in Slovenia can't figure out what carb it is.

I wonder if anyone can help us to identify the make/model of the carburettor? Or possibly recommend a good carburettor shop in the UK?

I've attached three photos.

Thank you and Best Regards
Mika
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6926.jpg (67.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6928.jpg (69.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6930.jpg (71.4 KB, 34 views)
Mika Zelikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 11:50   #2
brutusmotorsport

looks like pierburg carb off sierra/transit.
brutusmotorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 13:22   #3
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Whatever it is, it's a twin-choke device, so almost certainly not even an original fitment on a Volvo 240.

There's a tag visible on the underside of the carb that might give some details, and some identifying numbers cast/stamped into the body. It might be worth running them against Google to see if that shows up anything.

If the owner wants a carburettor then either a Pierburg 175CDSU or a proper Stromberg 175CD is a far better solution, and it is possible to get the appropriate needle/jet combination and information on how to set the device up from the forum's more knowledgeable members.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 16:49   #4
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki_the_glt View Post
Whatever it is, it's a twin-choke device, so almost certainly not even an original fitment on a Volvo 240.
It looks remarkably like the Solex-Cisak I had on my 240 B230K. It was the standard carburettor for the K-suffix engines. It had twin-chokes but they were progressive in operation, the second only cutting in at wider throttle openings.

To fit a single-choke carburettor would need the approriate manifold.

The Cisak and its associated collection of coloured pipes and accessories was always giving trouble, and I replaced it with its manifold with a Stromberg from a B21A, and a finer jet needle. It ran well for some years. There's a very old thread here somewhere.

Last edited by Clifford Pope; Dec 29th, 2019 at 16:53.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2019, 17:02   #5
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
It looks remarkably like the Solex-Cisak I had on my 240 B230K. It was the standard carburettor for the K-suffix engines. It had twin-chokes but they were progressive in operation, the second only cutting in at wider throttle openings.

To fit a single-choke carburettor would need the approriate manifold.

The Cisak and its associated collection of coloured pipes and accessories was always giving trouble, and I replaced it with its manifold with a Stromberg from a B21A, and a finer jet needle. It ran well for some years. There's a very old thread here somewhere.
I hadn't realised that the Solex-Cisak WAS a twin-choke, mainly because my only carburettored 240s had Stromberg or Pierburg side-draught carbs. That's today's item of learning for me.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 00:37   #6
grumpydad

Hi
can i ask whats wrong
to make you think its the carb
grumpydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 09:08   #7
Mika Zelikman

Thank you for all relies!

I have followed the lead about Solex-Cisak and google search came up with this

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...c-z11/1025952/

To my untrained eyes at least the top and the bottom seem to match what is already in the car, hopefully the rest matches two.

I suspect at this stage it might be easier to get a service kit for this model and replace the jets
http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...4-z11/1066765/

Regarding the symptoms: I only know that the car started playing up a drive on a dusty track, got progressively worse and could no longer maintain idle. Ignition is apparently OK. And since using choke didn't help it is probably not an air leak.

Thanks once again!
Mika Zelikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2019, 11:39   #8
Triple-S
How Old?

I have a Cisak on my '87 240 and had to make one out of two a couple of years ago - my fault was leaky gaskets. However, before you spend big money on yours, check to be sure all those small pipes and hoses are connected. I had one come off a tee-piece once and it ran like a pig until I refitted it.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote