Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CD changer in boot

Views : 510

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2020, 17:14   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default CD changer in boot

I've only had the car for two years, but this week whilst tidying out the boot I noticed a couple of leads / connectors tucked away. One is a DIN plug, the other a flat two-pin affair with little plastic locking tabs.

My guess is that a CD multi-changer has been installed at some time, either that or the car was pre-wired for one when new.

The stock radio is just that - a radio / tape player, and so now I'm thinking that it'd be good to fit a CD changer in the boot - if I can get one. I had a look on eBay, and while there are dozens of units for sale, some as cheap as chips, I'm not sure what will fit.

Can anyone shed any light as to which models are likely to be compatible? Are the connections Volvo-specific?

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 17:52   #2
HDAV
Master Member

Car model year ?
HDAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDAV For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 19:58   #3
capt jack
VOC Member

Sorry, yes, I should have said. The car is a 1997 S90 3litre auto. And I’m guessing that the audio fittings are common to most late 90’s models.

Jack
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 06:12   #4
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

As I understood it when I looked a few years ago for my 98 V70 and assuming your 97 S90 is much the same-
It's not so much the physical connectors that are the major problem, as the 'language' that the CD changer and the head unit speak to each other in. Whilst my head unit has all the buttons for a boot changer unit the only one that it will work with (AFAIK) is the Volvo unit of that era, which was an added cost option back when they were new so not easy to find on ebay etc. If you go with a modern head unit and changer combination you bump up against the original Volvo head unit being in a double din sized slot but actually fitting like two singles so you have to do a bit of work to open up the double din slot.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 07:56   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

My '95 960 saloon is also pre-wired for the boot mounted multi changer and my '00 V70 while it has a head unit with the button for operating a muti changer isn't wired into the boot for one.Anyway while the head units in both mine have a single shot CD player I've looked into buying multi changers for them[but so far not actually bought any]and as far as I can make out you can either go with a Volvo branded one or an Alpine branded one.I'm sure I've seen at least one thread on the forum[with pictures]of cars with the Alpine unit fitted and the model designation can be seen so if you can find said thread[s] you'll be able to see which model number of Alpine unit is compatible.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 12:29   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

Ta. yes, I know that the car's SC802 head unit is an Alpine, branded as Volvo, so my guess was that an Alpine changer would be the right choice. But they don't seem to have two connectors- just the one DIN plugYou can pick them up for £30 - £40 on Ebay. They aren't available new I don't think.

I'll keep searching - it'd be nice to add CD playability. I've got one of this little plug-in FM gizmos, which is pretty good as a phone hands-free kit for the little bit I'd ever need, and it's OK but not great for playing music from the phone.

I've looked at SC805s on Ebay too, but they're always grey, and of course the S90 dashboard is black. Plus the few that are on Ebay look pretty ropey, and generally come minus the security code.

I thought about the HU unit as fitted to the x40 series cars. These are double-DIN too, but the aerial connector looks entirely different, and I haven't been able to trace an adaptor for this.

It also occured to me to simply get a brand new audio. But unless you spend mutliple £hundreds the stuff on offer looks and feels cheap, brash and nasty, and would be well out of keeping with the 1990's style of the dashboard. When you lookt at the present crop of what I'd perceive to be quality brands - Pioneer, Sony, JVC etc, you realise just what good quality older kit is compared with the "use-once-chuck-it-away" stuff that lines Halfords shelves these days.

Jack
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 12:45   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

Yes I've seen the ones in the chav section of Halfords and...no...just NO! My V70 has the grey fronted SC805 while the 960 has the black fronted SC805 with the words premier sound system[or something like that]in gold lettering above the CD slot,presumably a previous owner had this installed in place of the original head unit.Single shot CD is ok but at times annoying as I can't swap CDs while driving.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 16:47   #8
migrator
Aye - him again

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Sorry, yes, I should have said. The car is a 1997 S90 3litre auto. And I’m guessing that the audio fittings are common to most late 90’s models.

Jack
Your '97 S90 should have been fitted with an SC-905 head unit (Premium Sound System) (just like mine was). Mine also had the 6 CD changer unit (badged as Volvo). Many cars without the changer unit fitted did have the cables fitted. The twin cable fitment is the power supply and earth for the changer. The audio cable fitted was to transfer music and control signals to the head unit.

You could also fit the Alpine badged 6 CD changer unit like this one (must be CHM and not CHA)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-A...sAAOSwsnVd92SX

(Unfortunately this one comes from USA and is heavy on delivery costs.

The cartridge from the Alpine will fit the Volvo version. The cable is different as it carries the power supply from the head unit to the changer unit

Your head unit needs to be from the SC-8nn range - the HU units will not work in your car.

Hope this helps a bit.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to migrator For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 20:43   #9
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
Ta. yes, I know that the car's SC802 head unit is an Alpine, branded as Volvo, so my guess was that an Alpine changer would be the right choice. But they don't seem to have two connectors- just the one DIN plugYou can pick them up for £30 - £40 on Ebay. They aren't available new I don't think.

I'll keep searching - it'd be nice to add CD playability. I've got one of this little plug-in FM gizmos, which is pretty good as a phone hands-free kit for the little bit I'd ever need, and it's OK but not great for playing music from the phone.

I've looked at SC805s on Ebay too, but they're always grey, and of course the S90 dashboard is black. Plus the few that are on Ebay look pretty ropey, and generally come minus the security code.

I thought about the HU unit as fitted to the x40 series cars. These are double-DIN too, but the aerial connector looks entirely different, and I haven't been able to trace an adaptor for this.

It also occured to me to simply get a brand new audio. But unless you spend mutliple £hundreds the stuff on offer looks and feels cheap, brash and nasty, and would be well out of keeping with the 1990's style of the dashboard. When you lookt at the present crop of what I'd perceive to be quality brands - Pioneer, Sony, JVC etc, you realise just what good quality older kit is compared with the "use-once-chuck-it-away" stuff that lines Halfords shelves these days.

Jack
All head units fitted to the X40 cars are grey to match the dashboard.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: