Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

TYre inflators ??

Views : 1384

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2020, 09:35   #1
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Default TYre inflators ??

With 3 cars and 3 bicycles on the family fleet (plus 3 visiting relations cars) I find I have ample opportunity to check tyre pressures and pump up tyres. Back when I was a youth I would pump up my bicycle tyres by hand, I grew into a man with a car and pumped up tyres with a foot pump, technology advanced and I had an electric pump which plugged into the lighter socket, life was good. Unfortunately the nice 12v electric pump I had got dropped and works no more and its replacement is OK up to 25psi but then struggles to get to 35psi on a car tyre. With opportunities for use I thought a mains powered unit would be good but they seem few and far between, but I recently came across these two from Screwfix Scheppach-air-force and Scheppach-air-case, they look like the sort of thing I would use but they are not what I would call cheap. Does anyone have any experience with either of them, or any other Scheppach products from Screwfix, or any other similar powered tyre inflators.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 09:46   #2
TeamG
Master Member

All seem to struggle with larger tyres or higher pressures. If they are small enough to transport around, then they take ages and get hot in use. If they are big enough for regular use, then they tend to eat through your battery (unless you run your car throughout) and take up boot space. Modern, larger car wheels have made the problem worse in recent years.

With a multi-car house, numerous bikes and trailers, I invested in a proper compressor which sits under my workbench in the garage. I have a 120 foot airline, which reaches any corner of the drive or garden and I just feel it out to inflate anything. It even reaches through the house to inflate air beds or used with a blower to blow leaves off the drive etc.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 10:06   #3
ITSv40
VOC Member

If you have room you would be better off with one of these.https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...gQIDRBq&adurl=
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 18:30   #4
c1800
Master Member

Or one of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Decke...58&sr=8-9&th=1
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 18:32   #5
Premier Member

I can’t speak for those compressors you listed, but Sheppach products are good quality, German designed products.
I have an old Hilka 12v pump which has been very useful over the years but, for serious use, you need a proper compressor.
I have a Lidl 50 ltr 2hp compressor which is more than adequate for tyres and small air tools. When the hose does not reach, I have an old propane gas cylinder that has been fitted with a pcl air fitting on top which I charge from the compressor and take to the job; a single charge will hold enough air to fully inflate 2 tyres.
Speaking of fittings; all my air tools and hoses have been fitted with PCL fittings which are the best available.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 60041 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 19:45   #6
RS3100

Ring RAC900 is rated up to 100 psi and pumps up my motorhome tyres with ease. Portable too. Connects directly to the vehicle battery or a jump pack with crocodile clips, so no worries about not having enough amps available from an in-car power/lighter socket.
RS3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RS3100 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 26th, 2020, 21:17   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Thanks for the responses so far, I didn't find the Sheppach units initially via Screwfix but ITS V40's response does make the point that a unit with greater capacity is available for less money, although the Sheppach units do have the advantage of being about a tenth of the overall size. The Ring RAC unit proposed by RS3100 has the advantage of smaller size and smaller price tag but is lower power and needs the 12 volt hook up. Reassuring that 60041 speaks well of Sheppach and interestingly also of Lidl, both German brands one we may not have heard of and one that has a reputation for cheap supermarkets in the UK but a good reputation in Germany.

Hmm still lots of points to ponder.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 00:12   #8
Rustyfrog
Grumpy Pond Dweller

The inflator I have used for the past few years may suit you.
I use it for both our cars and our caravan which I need to maintain at 65 psi.
This it does with no problem.

P.I. Auto Store - Tyre Pump - 240v Car Tyre Inflator (Mains) OR 12V DC
available on Amazon (and probably other outlets)

Just another to add to your list.

.................................................. ..
I thought that growing old would take a little longer
Rustyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rustyfrog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 27th, 2020, 02:56   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

I use this one with no issues, set it and forget it, auto turns off when complete
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2020, 11:15   #10
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

So as the upshot of this thread.
I thought about the various options mentioned, the idea of a 'proper' compressor in the corner of the garage was appealing but then looking at my garage I wonder if I'll ever get it cleared up enough to find room, certainly not at the moment; but then I found the Sheppach Air Force 2 unit on ebay for £70, new unit with damage to the cardboard box from a real UK business seller*. That put it in the middle of the price bracket I had in mind so a couple of clicks and it was mine. Having used it briefly for some bicycle tyres and topping up my car tyres I can say it certainly is quick, almost to the point of being overkill, it is noisy but probably like many 'proper' compressors of a similar size. The case that it comes in is a fairly thick moulded plastic, from a couple that were on ebay with damaged cases obviously not indestructible but it should last with a modicum of care, there's a few edges on the openings for the wire and hose that I may just smooth over with a bit of fine sandpaper. Only other downside was that the unit is factory fitted with a euro plug and the supplier added a UK adaptor which doesn't slot into the case, but putting a proper UK plug on should sort that.

*company I bought from https://www.nmatools.co.uk/ their website prices are plus VAT but still better than Screwfix, although they do say their website is being updated so call to confirm price, and beware it's a website full of shiny tools and temptations

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: