Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems reading fault codes with reader

Views : 1023

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 13:52   #21
RaelG

So I've spent hours, literally hours trawling the internet, watching videos and reading forums and blogs and I'm at a bit of a loss now.

I've ordered myself a little switch in a rather desperate attempt to see if that makes any different to my little homemade reader. I know it shouldn't, but at this point I will try anything.

A few questions that would be great to get absolute clarity around, if anyone can chime in and provide knowledge...

1. Is the only way to read the faults on my 96 car via a homemade reader or is there a product I can buy? Mr Luxobarge has kindly offered to plug his reader in but if what I have learned it correct, then an OBDII reader will not work with my car anyway because despite having the port its a big fat porkie pie and doesn't actually have one.

2. If I buy a new lambda sensor and fit it, and assuming that was the reason the warning was on (I know in reality it could be one of a number of things but for this question let us assume it is), would the new item instantly clear the warning light or would it take a while? I am aware that the fault codes stored would not go away.

3. Is there a chance a local garage might be able to figure out how to pinpoint the issue with the car?

4. Having tried many, many things to get my reader to work, I am now of the belief that either the wire attached to port 3 of the plug that goes to the ECU is broken somewhere or that the ECU itself has had some sort of wobbly and is refusing any longer to spit out any codes. I have tried to figure out how I would test the former here, i.e. for sure text of the port 3 wire is connected properly but I don't know how to do this. Any suggestions?

For some extra info, the car seems to be running just fine. The idle does not hunt, it is fairly high (just over 1k) on cold start then after a while (maybe 5 or so mins at idle or a few miles driving) it settles to a low rev (counter suggest almost zero which I don't think can be right). Other than that it seems to drive fine engine-wise.

Thank you
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 15:11   #22
4x4
I roll

VOL-FCR is the diagnostics required for the 850, plus a laptop running Windows XP and a lead to go from the laptop to the OBD port

I've no idea how good it is but someone here will most likely chime in

More info on VOL-FCR here CLICK
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 16:38   #23
downstream

If you have a dodgy rev counter, maybe that’s another symptom of the same issue?? Just a stab in the dark... If yours is showing near zero at idle then there’s obviously an issue somewhere...

For what it’s worth, I had a quick look at the wiring diagrams, and the wiring from pin 3 of the OBD connector seems to pass through the immobiliser on its way to the ECU, which may or may not be relevant here, but I thought it was interesting...

You could try checking for continuity along the wires with a multimeter, other than that I’m not sure what to suggest... A competent auto-electrician may be your best bet?
downstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 16:41   #24
RaelG

Thanks Mr 4x4. If I understand what they say however, I am not sure it can help me.

Quote:
800 Series 1996 onwards: Covers Reset service light and fault code reading/clearing on Engine (but not Motronic 4.3 and Fenix 5.2), Automatic transmission, ABS, Instruments, Immobiliser, Power seats, SRS air-bag (note Cruise control and ECC are not supported)
As I understand it my car is/has the Fenix 5.2 (I am not entirely sure what this means, maybe its a language?!) and that I would still need to read those codes using the homemade reader method anyway. Have I misunderstood? Looks to me that I would still be in the same boat even if I have one of these jobbies?
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 16:46   #25
RaelG

Yes I came across a wiring diagram that suggested that the wire goes via the immobiliser too, at least in Europe anyway. So yeah maybe there's something in that. I have no idea if the immobiliser is working or not. Maybe I need to get into the ECU and check there but to be honest I have no idea what I'm looking at, I'm a long way from an auto-electrician in terms of skill!

I've only driven the car twice since buying but I did notice that about the rev counter. Maybe I'll take it out again and keep a closer eye. I think you might be right though, a decent auto electrician might be the next step. Only problem is...who?!
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 17:06   #26
4x4
I roll

Yes your ECU is a Fenix 5.2 and is manufactured by Siemens

Some info here CLICK
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 23:32   #27
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Rai

If I have read correctly and Luxo has offered the use of his VOL FCR you would be a fool to refuse, also available in East London in the unlikely event you are passing
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 00:21   #28
RaelG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Rai

If I have read correctly and Luxo has offered the use of his VOL FCR you would be a fool to refuse, also available in East London in the unlikely event you are passing
He has indeed kindly offered but I don’t think it will help unless I’ve misunderstood something. See quote in previous post coped from the software providers site stating it doesn’t read Fenix 5.2 which is the system I need to read.

But please if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick here correct me and explain it to me, this is all new to me.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 09:30   #29
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Rai

Noooo, I don't have VOL FCR, I just have a generic OBDII scanner (Autel MS501) which works fine on my '97 V70 but I fear won't work on a '96 10-valve 850, surely someone on here can confirm this?