Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Safety recall for fire risk

Views : 86390

Replies : 468

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:07   #351
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoBrunetti View Post
Just got my car back. Invoice to Volvo says (including lack of punctuation) “R29947 carried out EGR hose recall clean EMAP and TMAP replaced hoses carried out software update”.

Line items include a “hose kit” and”090973/ECM EGR REBUI”

Before the recall my hoses had a T-piece and now don’t so presumably now at latest spec.
your car has been very good or neglected ! most of the T pieces were changed by 18 months ago . i'm not sure your recall was the melting manifold one ..
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:14   #352
Steve54hb

You can see my pipe work has been worked on but there is still a t-piece. I did ask Volvo UK what the latest advice to dealers was but they skirted the issue.

XC60 SE, my2014, VEA D4, 181bhp, Manual, 67k
Steve54hb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 15:19   #353
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54hb View Post
You can see my pipe work has been worked on but there is still a t-piece. I did ask Volvo UK what the latest advice to dealers was but they skirted the issue.
You have to wait to get the P04D900 fault code to get the free hose replacement and new EGR cooler .
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 17:04   #354
GuidoBrunetti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
your car has been very good or neglected ! most of the T pieces were changed by 18 months ago . i'm not sure your recall was the melting manifold one ..
Every time it went in for servicing at Gloucester Volvo I asked about the EGR and was told no action was called for on my car!
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 18:19   #355
rxtian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Mine still has the T too - not sure if that’s a good or a bad sign! (Full Volvo service history)
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 21:45   #356
1monkey600

My belgian xc70 is booked in for recall R29948 (melting manifold) next week.

While I was booking it in I asked what was planned for the work and initially I was told it would typically be EGR cooler pipework mods and software, so they needed car to be left for 3-4hrs. At this point I asked if it meant that it would require additional modification to the pipework (i.e. After previous removal of T-piece) that had already been changed in 2017, in UK, after total malfunction of the EGR valve while on holiday.

He first said "yes" it would need more mods, but after inputting my VIN into the system, it confirmed to him that my T-piece and cooler had been changed 18 months ago to latest spec and that, therefore, only software update was required, while I wait, i.e. Less than an hours work.

Last edited by 1monkey600; Jan 24th, 2020 at 21:48.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2020, 22:13   #357
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Oddly inconsistent, isn't it. I got a software update plus my TMAP and EMAP sensors were cleaned, plus my intake manifold was inspected externally for signs of damage. No pipes were touched, but I'm on my 3rd EGR cooler and 2nd EGR valve so perhaps that's already been done?

I'm still confused about the recall numbers, as R22939 and R22948 seem to be for the same intake manifold issue. The dealer could not give me a clear explanation why the notification I received back in July was for R22939, while they carried out the fix for R22948. I've also seen posts that suggest there is still a pending hardware mod, possibly a replacement manifold?

Can anyone confirm the suggestion that the software fix is to monitor cylinder compression and shut down cylinders to avoid explosive blow-back into the intake manifold if it appears that the intake valves are prevented from closing due to soot build-up? And how would cylinder compression be monitored?
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 07:40   #358
marsdalebear
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Oddly inconsistent, isn't it. I got a software update plus my TMAP and EMAP sensors were cleaned, plus my intake manifold was inspected externally for signs of damage. No pipes were touched, but I'm on my 3rd EGR cooler and 2nd EGR valve so perhaps that's already been done?

I'm still confused about the recall numbers, as R22939 and R22948 seem to be for the same intake manifold issue. The dealer could not give me a clear explanation why the notification I received back in July was for R22939, while they carried out the fix for R22948. I've also seen posts that suggest there is still a pending hardware mod, possibly a replacement manifold?

Can anyone confirm the suggestion that the software fix is to monitor cylinder compression and shut down cylinders to avoid explosive blow-back into the intake manifold if it appears that the intake valves are prevented from closing due to soot build-up? And how would cylinder compression be monitored?
I have 2 recalls outstanding according to the Vovo site but only one ,R22939 the manifold, according to Volvo CS.
I can find no details of R22948 anywhere but suspect that it is related and is probably the second recall referred to.
marsdalebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 09:37   #359
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54hb View Post
Any pics of what T pieces we are talking about....just so I can perhaps check mine next week, or at least sound faintly knowledgable when asking them about them?!
Old Jan 25th, 2020, 15:59   #360
1monkey600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Oddly inconsistent, isn't it. .....

I'm still confused about the recall numbers, as R22939 and R22948 seem to be for the same intake manifold issue. The dealer could not give me a clear explanation why the notification I received back in July was for R22939, while they carried out the fix for R22948. I've also seen posts that suggest there is still a pending hardware mod, possibly a replacement manifold....
OK, I re-checked my 'recall' paperwork; I will paraphrase as it is in French:
Safety reminder R29939 received last August. Context - there is a possibility of manifold deforming/melting and possible fire. Technical solution being worked on - in the meantime if you notice any burning smells, etc. contact your dealer.

R29948 received at end of December.
Context - melting/deformation of manifold - possibility of fire in engine compartment. During the summer you received a safety reminder (R29939) explaining that a technical solution was being worked on. We are now commencing a technical solution for the concerned vehicles.
Action for R29948 - Volvo Cars are now in position to commence updating concerned vehicles with the aid of improved software and renewal of the EGR coolant circuit. Contact your local dealer, etc, etc.

In other words, although they are differently numbered 'recall' (safety reminders) they are both concerning the same thing.
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:

Tags
egr problems, v60 d4