Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

6 speed auto box

Views : 429

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2023, 13:26   #1
Starky73

Default 6 speed auto box

Hi can anyone tell me if the xc90 6 speed auto box has a filter . ? 2010 83k
On acceleration there is a skipping/ whipping noise from the front when I come off the accelerator which I'm putting down to the atf needing replaced. Or the top engine mount seems to have alot movement also the 2 mounts on the suspension strut just wondering if this is normal .

Thanks
Starky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 13:29   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starky73 View Post
On acceleration there is a skipping/ whipping noise from the front when I come off the accelerator which I'm putting down to the atf needing replaced. Or the top engine mount seems to have alot movement also the 2 mounts on the suspension strut just wondering if this is normal .

Thanks
yes the top mounting bar does move a lot that is how it is, If the big bush has cracked or broken it can be changed. I would change ATF every 72000 miles with the service ..

your noise could well be the worn/broken rubber bush on top ??
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 15:18   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Thanks
Not normal.

There's a filter, but you have to dismantle the transmission to actually change it (no one does that, unless they're doing a full transmission rebuild).

Change the transmission fluid only. Make sure its a cherry red colour.

The torque rod will have some movement, its not supposed to be a solid piece. Its the rubber you need to look at. If its all split/torn or perished looking, it needs to be changed.
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 18:23   #4
Starky73

Thanks gents much appreciated well that's my weekend taken care of. Weird thing about the filter though, my last car a ssangyong rodius ( the John merrick of cars) had a Mercedes 5 speed box and Mercedes originally stated it was sealed for life, however it had a huge filter and easily accessible with job done in an hour.
Starky73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2023, 20:02   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks gents much appreciated well that's my weekend taken care of. Weird thing about the filter though, my last car a ssangyong rodius ( the John merrick of cars) had a Mercedes 5 speed box and Mercedes originally stated it was sealed for life, however it had a huge filter and easily accessible with job done in an hour.
Many manufacturers say the same thing.

Volvo claim transmission’s are sealed for life too, but there’s a drain and fill plug. Go figure.

Make sure you use the correct spec transmission fluid.